OT: Rise of Flight Preview - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OT: Rise of Flight Preview

UK_Widowmaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggi View Post
    The 'Honeymoon' effect, all games are subject to it. The really good ones suffer it almost imperceptibly, the really bad ones suffer an immediate divorce the morning after the wedding night.

RB2-3D is two old grunters, still riding the bus together on their OAP passes. Luftwaffe Commander (anyone remember that POS?) was a wife-murder ON the wedding night. IL2 was a three-year marriage that ended on good terms mostly, equal access to the kids, no alimony, etc.

OFF is going to be two old grunters. RoF will be the three-year jobby.
    And of course EAW is the old Grandpa sitting in the corner occasionaly shouting "Arse, Feck, Girls, Drrrink!

ovs
    Quote Originally Posted by threeonetwo View Post
    I am playing OFF already.....just not phase 3 at the moment. I will eventually when things calm down a bit in terms of patches and fixes for phase 3.
    Then I have to point out... you shouldn't comment on or play down Phase 3 until you have flown it. Phase 2 is nothing compared to Phase 3.

I guess you haven't been around long enough to have been bitten more than once by commercial games.

Wings of War is a classic example. It looked awesome, such detail.. it was great... all loved the screen shots... the eye-candy!! WOW!!! RB3D sucks.. this is the one.. this will replace it all!! WE LOVE YOU 'THE GATHERING'!!!! ALL HAIL!!!!

It totally sucked. Period.

WF2... we did try. The Sikorsky Project. It was a massive failure.

OvS

Siggi
    Quote Originally Posted by ovs View Post
    Then I have to point out... you shouldn't comment on or play down Phase 3 until you have flown it. Phase 2 is nothing compared to Phase 3.

I guess you haven't been around long enough to have been bitten more than once by commercial games.

Wings of War is a classic example. It looked awesome, such detail.. it was great... all loved the screen shots... the eye-candy!! WOW!!! RB3D sucks.. this is the one.. this will replace it all!! WE LOVE YOU 'THE GATHERING'!!!! ALL HAIL!!!!

OvS
    Thanking you, quotes saved for possible use a few weeks after RoF has been out. Tee hee.

Winder

OvS
    WoW yeah I bought that too just as I will buy RoF irrespective of what anyone says - as I am a WW1 sim nut.....and its best to evaluate sims for yourself as we each see things differently...

But WoW was not WoW at all.

WM

rabu
    Quote Originally Posted by Winder View Post
    WoW yeah I bought that too just as I will buy RoF irrespective of what anyone says - as I am a WW1 sim nut.....and its best to evaluate sims for yourself as we each see things differently...

But WoW was not WoW at all.

WM
    You and I and some others got swept up by WOW's amazing visual ambiance and we even produced patches to the terrain and planes and all the while hoping that we could get into the game engine and do something.. it really was exciting at first, then very disappointing to not be able to do anything much beyond improving the visual elements because of the closed design. I remember the same speculation about the possibilities, and the game was already out.. it appeared from no where.
    Now we have ROF, and I am hoping again that this will be a great sim with open possibilities, but we just won't know till it's actually on our computers, so it's sort of silly to speculate, but the visuals are truly amazing, as are BHH. I think players are going to find that ROF and OFF each fill individual niches, each of which will probably have their followers, but both, hopefully, will be appreciated for similar and different reasons.

threeonetwo

OvS
    Oh, I've been around and have seen many crappy simulators in my lifetime with great graphics but I have high hopes for ROF.

I don't think I've played down OFF3. I am planning on buying OFF3 when I feel the time is right. I'm sure it's polished but personally, I'm waiting for a digital distribution of the game hoping you guys will come around.

There is no question ROF has eye-candy...but if that's the only potential you guys see in it, then be it. Judging by Neoqb's developement blog and progress, I highly doubt it will just be "eye candy". I know some in this thread is hoping that's all it will be but I'm hoping for a great sim for all of us to enjoy.

JohnGresham
    Oh, I've been around and have seen many crappy simulators in my lifetime with great graphics but I have high hopes for ROF.

I don't think I've played down OFF3. I am planning on buying OFF3 when I feel the time is right. I'm sure it's polished but personally, I'm waiting for a digital distribution of the game hoping you guys will come around.

There is no question ROF has eye-candy...but if that's the only potential you guys see in it, then be it. Judging by Neoqb's developement blog and progress, I highly doubt it will just be "eye candy". I know some in this thread is hoping that's all it will be but I'm hoping for a great sim for all of us to enjoy.
    I think everyone's hoping it will be a great sim, but rather than banging the drum for something that might be great and might live up to expectations, why not concentrate on on banging the drum for what we have in OFF-BHH, which already is a great sim? I'd urge you to show your support and purchase it, you never know, you might actually enjoy it.

UK_Widowmaker
    I know some in this thread is hoping that's all it will be but I'm hoping for a great sim for all of us to enjoy.
    I don't think that's the case at all!...I don't feel I am knocking it before seeing and playing it..just have doubts.

If that's the case,and I am knocking it then i'm foolish...but no more foolish than someone extolling it's virtues, before it's been released, and therefore played.

Time will tell... I will buy it probably, and then we can discuss this further.... the arguments have run their course:ernae:

Dutch_P47M
    Quote Originally Posted by cpirrmann View Post
    Not to highjack the thread...but did 1C Maddox ever release or finish their Battle of Britain sim?

It looks to me flysims are not populair to the main buyers = "young man, between 13 and 25 years old", so there is no priority for this game type.

So I'm very pleased with OFF3 now and maybe I'm going for RoF (release2010???) and OOF(release2011????), but that is the future.

threeonetwo
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGresham View Post
    I think everyone's hoping it will be a great sim, but rather than banging the drum for something that might be great and might live up to expectations, why not concentrate on on banging the drum for what we have in OFF-BHH, which already is a great sim? I'd urge you to show your support and purchase it, you never know, you might actually enjoy it.
    Once again, I'll buy it when I decide to. Right now, I'm saving up my allowance to purchase things like a decent computer, TrackIR, a new Hotas system, etc. etc. Please quit pushing me to buy OFF as I've already stated that I will buy it when the time is right for me.

JohnGresham
    Once again, I'll buy it when I decide to. Right now, I'm saving up my allowance to purchase things like a decent computer, TrackIR, a new Hotas system, etc. etc. Please quit pushing me to buy OFF as I've already stated that I will buy it when the time is right for me.
    No-one is pushing you into doing anything, but I'm puzzled by your presence here considering your reluctance (for whatever reason) to purchase this title and your obvious enthusiasm for Rise of Flight. Anyway, enough is enough, I'm done with this. So let's hope Rise of Flight lives up to its potential and your expectations of it.

Siggi
    Saving up your "allowance"? Is that American for pocket-money or something? Or what the wife lets you keep out of your wages?

No, I'm not taking the piss, I'm just curious to know what the term means, as you implied in another post that you're quite old.

Rickitycrate
    Gentlemen, the situation is obvious. :tgun2:

C'mon, guys...give the man a break...

"Allowance", in America, typically applies to money parents give their children, usually in exchange for doing chores and whatever. It's actually quite clever, as my wife and I have learned - because if they don't choose to act responsibly, it's one of the first things we 'dock' - much the way real life works *sigh* But, still at my age (46) and being the primary breadwinner in a decidedly middle-class home...I'm lucky I *ever* get any money to myself!

As for 123 and his reluctance to buy P3, uhh...that's his choice, folks. And he's free to make that choice, while being as enthusiastic about RoF as he wants. As far as I know, he's not breaking any rules here to do so, but it's certainly not well-received here.

I'm not surprised, for what it's worth - I share his exact position on both RoF and OFF, and I've been ill-received over it, just the same. Not a very tolerant lot here, sometimes, of those who don't share your opinions, it seems.

As always, the foregoing is entirely my opinion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My rig:
    eVGA780i FTW, Intel C2De8400 (o/c-3.83G), 2G Corsair Dominator SLI PC2-8500, 2x eVGA 9800GT 1024M GDDR3/SLIx16 (o/c-700/1750/945), Corsair TX750W PS

I really don't think the issue is tolerance for diversity. I don't think anybody minds anyone being enthusiastic about RoF. Why would one? But I also find it a bit odd to post on a sim site about another sim not yet available while not buying (and thus supporting) the sim the site is dedicated to that IS available. People here were kind enough to offer and one sent me a copy of P2 free of charge when it wasn't clear when P3 would be ready. But I bought P3 the day it came out and never even installed P2 because I wanted to support the work of those who are making these incredible sims available, given especially how middling general enthusiasm seems to be for such realistic, immersive sims.

Anyway, that's my read, fwiw.

OK, griphos, then - from your perspective: If 'tolerance for diversity' is not being understanding toward another's point of view, regardless of how much you may disagree...

...what exactly is tolerance for diversity, then?

I'm not saying what's happened here isn't genuinely remarkable (I believe it is, fwiw). But that doesn't mean everyone has to feel as you do about the issue of 'supporting' (aka buying) P3.

For example: I bet a good many of you actually 'support' efforts to end cancer, poverty, and racism. At the same time, I bet the number who actually give money to any of these causes is substantially lower.

And, I'd bet you all have your reasons for your position. It's not up to me to tell you how to support anything. And that, my friends, is true tolerance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My rig:
    eVGA780i FTW, Intel C2De8400 (o/c-3.83G), 2G Corsair Dominator SLI PC2-8500, 2x eVGA 9800GT 1024M GDDR3/SLIx16 (o/c-700/1750/945), Corsair TX750W PS

threeonetwo
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggi View Post
    Saving up your "allowance"? Is that American for pocket-money or something? Or what the wife lets you keep out of your wages?

No, I'm not taking the piss, I'm just curious to know what the term means, as you implied in another post that you're quite old.
    Looks more like you're taking dump Siggi with veins bulging on your temples. After reading many of your negative and belligerent posts towards anyone who mentions ROF, it's easy to figure out that you're only posting your comments because you are spiteful for whatever reason to those who are looking forward to ROF. You really do your part in making the SOH OFF forum look nasty. Really.

Look, it's quite clear you have zero interest in ROF. Why waste you time and energy to come and post on this thread? I don't understand why but my guess would be that you would rather sit here and "knock" ROF than to go play OFF? Is that it? Truly bewildering.

And if I am quite old, what's it to you? Do I need to explain everything to you? Sigh*.

threeonetwo
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGresham View Post
    I'd urge you to show your support and purchase it.........No-one is pushing you into doing anything
    Really?

A PM I got from griphos:

Not a very tolerant lot here, sometimes, of those who don't share your opinions, it seems.

Hmmmmm......you seem to be having an issue with me not sharing yours. I'm fine with you not sharing mine.

You've worked your position into a corner in which it fails to really mean anything anymore. Not worth pursuing further on the forum, but I thought I'd point out that you seem to be the one with your knickers in a twist.

Well, now I see we're resorting to this sort of tactic...whatever, dude.

I also see you've completely failed to address my question. "Not worth pursuing on the forum"? Indeed. Probably much more accurate to say you don't have an answer.

Now, never mind a bunch of PM's. Indulge us all, and answer the question you were asked: What, exactly, do you call tolerance for diversity, if not understanding another's point of view, regardless of how much you may disagree?

As I thought.

And here's one for the entire group: How many of you 'support' all those things I mentioned earlier - and who wants to bet me that far fewer 'support' them with their money?

Finally, griphos, there's a saying: If you can't stand the heat, stay outta the kitchen. Don't be PM'ing me because you got your intellectual tail handed to you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My rig:

flyingbullseye
    Quote Originally Posted by cpirrmann View Post
    Not to highjack the thread...but did 1C Maddox ever release or finish their Battle of Britain sim?
    LOL! Not a chance in hell! Its only about 60% finished so don't expect it anytime soon ie...anytime this year.

Getting back on topic, ROF is looking great and from what it sounds like in the preview at simHQ the devs really did their homework regarding the code. Like everyone else just hope they drop the online SP idea though.

Flyingbullseye

Siggi
    Looks more like you're taking dump Siggi with veins bulging on your temples. After reading many of your negative and belligerent posts towards anyone who mentions ROF, it's easy to figure out that you're only posting your comments because you are spiteful for whatever reason to those who are looking forward to ROF. You really do your part in making the SOH OFF forum look nasty. Really.

Look, it's quite clear you have zero interest in ROF. Why waste you time and energy to come and post on this thread? I don't understand why but my guess would be that you would rather sit here and "knock" ROF than to go play OFF? Is that it? Truly bewildering.

And if I am quite old, what's it to you? Do I need to explain everything to you? Sigh*.
    You're crediting me with rather too much 'give a toss' mate. That and being a tad defensive. I was just genuinely curious is all.

Guys, I think everyone has made their opinions abundantly clear. Let's close this down before things get further out of hand. :amen:
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb