P3Dv5(4.5) Bell 212 Project

Thread: P3Dv5(4.5) Bell 212 Project

P3Dv5(4.5) Bell 212 Project

After a recent poll on our page, it seemed after I finished the conversion and modifications of the old HC Bell 412s, the Bell 212s then became the next popular option to have redone in P3D. My primary focus as some may know is aerial firefighting. So again, that's where these are headed. There will be multiple versions of both the helitanker (tanked) version and the bambi bucket versions. So far the conversion process has gone well. I started on these around the same time as the 412s, but they had more issues that needed to get worked out in P3D. But as I said progress has been good since I started on them again. Below is the current lineup of what I have so far in terms of operators. This too will grow. Plus some other random development screenshots. These will also get the same treatment as the Bell 412s did, maybe a few more. So far they do have working FLIR and Hoist I've installed. I've also integrated a working 64-bit autopilot for helicopters as well. These are being developed in 4.5, but should work in V5 as well.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 212L.jpg   212sb.jpg   bambi.jpg  

Aerial Firefighting Aircraft Development & Simulation Group
    Simulated Air Tanker Operations Facebook! <<click
    SATO Youtube Channel! <<click

Looking forward to the Bell 412's.

Smile

Many thanks! :-)

The 212 is actually my preference over the 412 ;-)

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Looking forward to the Bell 412's.

The 412s are out already if you're looking for those. I finished them several weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Airtrooper View Post
    Many thanks! :-)

The 212 is actually my preference over the 412 ;-)
    You're very welcome, thanks for the support!

The 212 project continues. Slowly. As it is second in the line of firefighting conversion projects. Was able to convert over the rotor flex and rotor states successfully into P3D. I think as far as the helitanker versions go, I'll just be adding some of the small equipment mods that differentiate the models I'll be representing. Same goes for the bambi bucket models once I get back to them in my work rotation. I think after that the bulk of the work is going to be all the liveries. Been trying to look at what operators to do in between all the MCX work.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 212fill.jpg  

I've started doing some other model variations with the 212. I've created a SAR/Firefighing version attached to the Bambi Bucket version of the 212. In some areas the 212 is primarily a SAR/Rescue platform with the ability to do firefighting operations when needed. So I've chosen to create a version like that. With the 412s, I had some inquiries if I was planning on doing a SAR/EMS type version of it. I wasn't at the time since the Helitankers I chose to represent were multirole helicopters as it was. These I decided otherwise while not straying far from my main focus of aerial firefighting versions. So yes, there will be a SAR platform in this pack. BUT it can also have a bucket when called upon. Also made a few more liveries. Not pictured is another Cal Fire version of fictional "H-210" that's attached to the Bambi Bucket model. Also the NDF livery is technically fictional. Nevada did not truly acquire Bell 212s. They adopted the airframe itself with the Eagle One modification, taking the Bell 212 airframe and making it a single engine from the UH-1. They are however registered as Bell 212s and do not have the restricted category like the older UH-1s did. The UH-1s lifetime is becoming limited for parts reasons. Which is why we see a lot of agencies retiring their fleets of UH-1s for different aircraft. AW-139 for LA City Fire, and largely the UH-60 (S-70) Blackhawk for a number of other agencies. LA County, City of San Diego, Santa Barbara County, Cal Fire, and Ventura County Have all selected the "Firehawk" to replace their older Huey variants. But without blathering on. I plan on making a few more model variations I believe, along with a number of other liveries.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 212 OPTIONS.jpg  

It's been awhile since i updated this thread. I am mainly working on liveries at the current time. The models I believe are done. So far I have liveries for the following operators: San Diego Fire Dept, Cal Fire, Ventura County Sheriff, San Bernardino County sheriff, Coulson, Wildcat (several), Kestrel, McDermott, TAF, Nevada Division of Forestry, Alpes Maritime, fictional fire rescue, and a blank for repainting. 2 bambi bucket models and 3 helitanker models. There is a "slick" bambi model with no accessories and I included a SAR model for those that want the external accessories, with the added use of a bucket (as many are equipped this way in IRL). The models do have working hoists and FLIR. The bucket or the snorkel is deployed via the tailhook key. I'm looking at capping liveries soon, as this project is already quite large.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bambi.jpg   HELITANKERS.jpg   HELITANKERS2.jpg   212.jpg  

Now I'm done with adding model variations. I decided to add the radome to 2 models. As a result I'm doing 2 more repaints for those for Roger's Helicopters, USFS contract operators. Below is one of their Bambi equipped 212s N811KA.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rogers.jpg  

Hello Huey Pilots
    My name is Leandro i am new in this forum
    And i am very interested in your 212 project.

I had the Jordan Moores Bell 412 for FSX at that time when Hovercontroll was still online .
    i stopped Flightsiming several years ago but now i would like to start up with Prepar3d again .

1.do you have the source files of the HC Bell 412 ?
    2.with which program are you designing the 212 Rotorhead ?
    3. Is it possible to get the HC 412 download for FSX or Prepar3D ?

i would be happy if someone can reply to my questions
    greetings
    Leandro

Quote Originally Posted by Leandro Merx View Post
    Hello Huey Pilots
    My name is Leandro i am new in this forum
    And i am very interested in your 212 project.

I had the Jordan Moores Bell 412 for FSX at that time when Hovercontroll was still online .
    i stopped Flightsiming several years ago but now i would like to start up with Prepar3d again .

1.do you have the source files of the HC Bell 412 ?
    2.with which program are you designing the 212 Rotorhead ?
    3. Is it possible to get the HC 412 download for FSX or Prepar3D ?

i would be happy if someone can reply to my questions
    greetings
    Leandro
    Hello, I converted the Hovercontrol 412s to P3D native not long ago. Granted they are all firefighting versions like these will be. But they are in the P3D Helicopters section here on SOH as well as on simviation. The base model 412s can be found all over for FSX, I have my pack from an old drive in my storage container, that I downloaded from either AVSIM or Hovercontrol itself back in the day more than likely.

These 212s to my knowledge were based off of Jordan's 412, but George Arana I believe is the one that turned them into 212s. So I'm not really designing anything, I'm just converting and moving parts around. I'm just modifying them into firefighting versions and converting the models to P3D native. I have been in contact with Mr. Arana while I converted the 412s as well as these to P3D. He's assisted on some of the coding and converted some of the parts in P3D for both these helicopters. He was originally part of the 412 project too I believe.

Livery work is nearly done, it will be small changes and updates are all that are left textures wise. After that it's file cleanup and final testing before getting ready to upload these. Hopefully that should be in early August sometime. This is the last helo to join the list. N213KA from Kachina Aviation, one of the contracted companies the USFS uses. It will be under the bambi bucket models. I plan on updating the list here soon of all the models and variations.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kachina.jpg  

THX Scorch00
    I found your upload
    I am going to install it at the weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Leandro Merx View Post
    THX Scorch00
    I found your upload
    I am going to install it at the weekend
    Great! Hope you enjoy it!

Work is slowly winding down on these. I'm doing some cleanup work on them currently. Hopefully I can get these out here this month. I've started and stopped work on these a lot since I started. So there's stuff I'm finding that I omitted or misplaced lol. Trying to get these out without having to do hotfixes. The final tally for these will be 7 models and 19 variations to choose from to fly in P3D. I have also included a FLIR and Hoist equipped SAR version that can also be equipped with a bambi bucket. I did this as some people wanted a SAR/Medevac bird for the 412s. So this was a way of doing that without going to far outside my wheel house of firefighting aircraft. The bambi bucket models are technically all slicks as the bucket will not appear until the tailhook key is pressed. The list below of liveries, in some operators there will be multiple liveries. The tailhook key will deploy either the snorkel on the tanked models or the bambi bucket on the bambi models. The hoist and FLIR will technically work on all these, since it's attached to the central aircraft.cfg file. But the FLIR will operate on the P3D stock movable camera commands (not the standard view commands) and the hoist controls are attached to the hoist commands. (I will be including a readme like I did with the 412s for those features).

Models:
    Slick Bambi Equipped
    SAR Hoist/FLIR/Bambi Equipped
    Slick with nose radome

Slick Helitanker Tank and Snorkel only
    Helitanker with Hoist and Tank/Snorkel
    Helitanker with FLIR/Hoist/Tank/Snorkel
    Slick Helitanker with radome nose / Tank/snorkel

Liveries:
    Kestrel Aviation (Australia)
    Wildcat Helicopters (Canada & Australia)
    McDermott Aviation (Australia)
    TAF Helicopters (Australia)
    Coulson Aviation (Canada)
    Alpes-Maritime (France)
    Cal Fire (fictional) (USA)
    Ventura County Sheriff (USA)
    San Bernardino County Sheriff (USA)
    San Diego Fire Department (USA)
    Rogers Helicopters (USA)
    Kachina Helicopters (USA)
    Nevada Division of Forestry (USA)
    Training Platform / Blank Repainter (HRT)
    SAR (Fictional) (USA)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 212.jpg   212.jpg  

I'm through most of the clean up process, now I'm just testing the added new features and writing the "procedures" if you will for those added features. These will have 2 stock P3D features added to it, those being the working hoist system and movable FLIR camera (with working point & track). The last feature I added is a Helicopter Autopilot. Which I am testing below with the rescue hoist. Using the AP with these has it's quirks, but those procedures will also be in a readme. Hoping these will be done here soon. I was hoping by this weekend, but not sure I can make that happen just yet. Lots to still go over.

Model is complete and uploaded to Sim-Outhouse!

Model is complete and has been uploaded to Sim-Outhouse. It should appear in the P3D aircraft section once approved.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 212A.jpg  

Error in bambi models

Hello, Scorch00

There is an error in the bambi models tail. There are two rotor and axis elements.
    I've tried to fix this, but ModelConverterX show that the two axis are both in the same ModelPart, so any transformation or deletion affects both axis...

Can't post an image (I don't know the reason, but the Manage Attachments button is not operative), but is noticeable in the images you posted for the bambi models, showing the left side.

Kind regards.
    Antonio

Quote Originally Posted by adiazcay View Post
    Hello, Scorch00

There is an error in the bambi models tail. There are two rotor and axis elements.
    I've tried to fix this, but ModelConverterX show that the two axis are both in the same ModelPart, so any transformation or deletion affects both axis...

Can't post an image (I don't know the reason, but the Manage Attachments button is not operative), but is noticeable in the images you posted for the bambi models, showing the left side.

Kind regards.
    Antonio
    hi there! There are overall a few things I'm looking to update on these, this being one of them. The 212s were really one of my first big conversion projects and I've learned a lot since then. So I have been making plans of going back through and updating some of the earlier projects I've done. This one being one of them. In the coming revamp I have planned, I will fix this issue as well as include update tailbooms and tail versions with the BLR Aerospace's FastFin modification. I also plan on doing this for the 412 I released as well. With a number of projects in the works currently though, I'm not exactly sure when that will happen, but I assure you it is planned to fix, along with those other updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorch00 View Post
    hi there! There are overall a few things I'm looking to update on these, this being one of them. The 212s were really one of my first big conversion projects and I've learned a lot since then. So I have been making plans of going back through and updating some of the earlier projects I've done. This one being one of them. In the coming revamp I have planned, I will fix this issue as well as include update tailbooms and tail versions with the BLR Aerospace's FastFin modification. I also plan on doing this for the 412 I released as well. With a number of projects in the works currently though, I'm not exactly sure when that will happen, but I assure you it is planned to fix, along with those other updates.
    Great! Thank you, looking forward for these fixes.

Members who have read this thread: 5