Pedals?

Thread: Pedals?

Cpre5

Pedals?

While waiting for my P3 disk, I was looking at adding some gear to my setup.
    Right now I use Saitek X52 and wanted to get some pedals to go with it.
    I was wondering what people would suggest CH, Saitek etc..:help:

Thanks again

Dej
    Well, none of my 'actual pilot' friends use Saitek gear. They all use CH. Me, I don't fly for real and I use an X52 and Saitek pedals. I've had no problems beyond my own ignorance, so I'd say stick with Saitek unless you're a real life pilot. Homogeneity is probably beneficial in any case.

gimpyguy
    Lots of people, myself included say the CH Pro's are built like a tank.

However they are a bit narrow overall. I'd try the Saiteks

Sim Ped also makes a set, for the carriage trade only

I haven't ever used the Saitek pedals. I have a Saitek stick, and I like it. I have CH pedals, and I like them very much. They are solid, don't move at all on my carpet, and are SUCH an improvement on the twist of the stick to control rudder. After flying a chopper in FSX with them, I'll never go back to the twist. But they make shooting much easier in OFF as well. I always had trouble twisting the stick for rudder input without upsetting ailerons with unintended inputs.

JFM
    I'm a real life pilot but the Saitek Freedom 2.4 has served me well for over five years, whether shooting a full NDB approach in an MSFS or trying to glide what's left of my Albatros D.V back across the lines. I've seen people rip these sticks but I've never had a single problem. I also use CHPro Pedals and have for years. I'd rather fly on auto-rudder than employ the twisty stick again; too many cross-controlled stalls.

gimpyguy
    Since I can no longer use the pedals with my plastic leg, I've been forced to use the twisty stick again. When you have No Choice, you make the best of it. Although it can't be eliminated, unwanted aileron movement is greatly reduced, by firing the machine gun via the spacebar. Being a Force Feedback Nut, you can still feel the gun pulse

Todt Von Oben
    I've always used the Sidewinder and while I got used to twisting the stick for rudder input, I never really liked it. Always had the feeling it was imparting bad habits.

I used to fly the little Luscombe shown in my avatar, and that was a stick and rudder taildragger. I've always felt I could fly a sim better if I had pedals, rather than the twist stick.

I want to replace my stick and get a set of pedals, so this thread has been of help to me. I'll check out the types you guys mention. Thanks a lot.

Still don't have the game installed, but maybe this weekend.

Prost! :ernae:

TVO

I too have the X52 Saitek Pro Pedal combination and am very pleased with it. I found the twisty stick (on the X52 and others I have had) to be lacking. You have a tendency to twist when in combat causing your aim to be off. The only way around this is to increase the dead zone on the twisty and that causes other problems. The Saitek is the second set of rudder pedals I have had and are superior to the old Thrustmaster Elite set I had earlier. But beware of the toe brakes on the Saitek, it caused aleron flutter (left toe) and down elevator (right toe) in BHAH. This can be fixed by editing an XML file. All this was covered in a previouse thread.

Beard
    More Scotch and Stogies for my Wingman!

Cpre5
    Thanks for all the input, think Ill go with Saitek for now to match my stick.

Siggi
    Another vote for Saitek pedals here. Very robust, sensitive and have a dial to adjust the tension. The pedals can also be adjusted for length. I have mine velcroed to the floor.

Gremlin_WoH
    My SimPed Vario pedals are nearly 14 years old now and are still working great as on the first day. If you divide the price by the years they are pretty cheap :d

because I don't have small pictures
    I have the Saitek X52 and later purchased the Saitek Rudder Pedals to complete my set. I really enjoy them but I'm not a real life pilot. I did, however, stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.........

Kevin

Fortiesboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpre5 View Post
    Right now I use Saitek X52

Thanks again
    Mau I ask a couple of questions re the X52. I spent all day yesterday with my mate who has this stick. We cannot get the F12 and F9 buttons to map to a stick button, using the "Mine" controls in the sim.
    I am familiar with how to set the keys to joystick buttons ( I have done it to my Cougar ), but the X52 is not having it.
    The F12 and F9 are used with trackir, of course, and so we tried to map them to the stick with trackir not running. But no go.
    My mate also has FSX and the same thing there. It is obvioulsy a saitek thing
    We downloaded the drivers for Vista from the saitek website but still didn't work.
    We then tried using the SST software ( also downloaded ) but the profile editor didn't have any buttons ( of the joystick ) listed in which to load a key???

Can any of you X52 chaps help here. Is there something obvious we are doing wrong?
    TIA

Like SIGGI says, plus:
    you get additional parts included, you can use as footrest on the front side, or as distance bits towards the wall (so you don't push the pedals away. Quite useful.

I need more ammo
    Brisbane, Australia (But now London for 18 months)
    I'm a real life pilot but had never flown with pedals in a sim before. I too wondered what to get but in the end i was sold on the fact the Saitek pedals are wider apart and just a little bit cheaper, besides, they were a gift and thats all they could afford.
    Mind you, having used them now, i am very happy.
    Cheers, Aussie Pilot.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I need more ammo
    Brisbane, Australia (But now London for 18 months)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortiesboy View Post
    Mau I ask a couple of questions re the X52. I spent all day yesterday with my mate who has this stick. We cannot get the F12 and F9 buttons to map to a stick button, using the "Mine" controls in the sim.
    I am familiar with how to set the keys to joystick buttons ( I have done it to my Cougar ), but the X52 is not having it.
    The F12 and F9 are used with trackir, of course, and so we tried to map them to the stick with trackir not running. But no go.
    My mate also has FSX and the same thing there. It is obvioulsy a saitek thing
    We downloaded the drivers for Vista from the saitek website but still didn't work.
    We then tried using the SST software ( also downloaded ) but the profile editor didn't have any buttons ( of the joystick ) listed in which to load a key???

Can any of you X52 chaps help here. Is there something obvious we are doing wrong?
    TIA
    I don't use the X52 myself but i do use the pedals and quad. Did you use the software that came on the disk with your stick? it may be different from what you downloaded and have what you need.
    Cheers, Aussie Pilot.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Members who have read this thread: 0