I'm in the same position, still kicking around on Windows 7, partly laziness (I dread having to re-install everything), and partly
because I really like Windows 7. But time moves on. So I've been recently looking at my options:

(1) Complete install of Win 10 over Win 7, and then re-install everything. If I do this, I would clone my C drive first.

(2) Microsoft free update to Windows 10. This is still available from MS. There's lots of tutorials. The clearest one (for me) I've found so far:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...ree-heres-how/

This would keep my existing apps and installs on my C drive after updating, and has the advantage of being free. However, if any of these
apps or installs aren't happy with the upgrade, they could cause major instabilities with my Win 10 install until I could identify and uninstall
them. Again, I would clone my C drive before doing.

(3) Dual boot Win 7 and Win 10 on the same pc. Lots of tutorials available. The clearest one (for me) I've found so far:

https://www.howtogeek.com/214477/how...ns-of-windows/

This requires sufficient unallocated space on an existing drive or else a new physical drive be added. The reason I favour this set-up is
because it would allow me to continue to use Win 7 for usual day to day business while transferring items over to Win 10 at my own
speed. Eventually I would be able to wipe Win 7 off it's drive, re-use the drive for something else, and go solely with Win 10.

(4) Do nothing: just sit on Windows 7 until I get a new pc at some point in the near future. In the meantime, maybe buy a copy of P3Dv5
and see if or how it works in Windows 7. If it doesn't, that's fine, I would just leave it in my LM account until ready. I'm actually tempted to
try this just to see what happens. However, P3Dv5 seems in such a beta state at the present time, I don't know if it's worth the effort.

At any rate, these are the upgrade options I'm kicking around. Because I am planning to replace my pc at some point in the near future,
if I purchase Windows 10 for my current pc, I would consider spending the extra money for a non-OEM copy, so I could transfer the OS
from the old pc to the new one when available.

Sorry, I don't know if these ramblings are of any help.

-RobM