Question re: the DiD checkbox

Thread: Question re: the DiD checkbox

KiloWolfhelm

Question re: the DiD checkbox

I just lost my first pilot who had any type of success. looking at the settings, something changed in the last patch 1.2 or 1.25 and i had a question about it.

I was flying all of my missions at 100% realism until i grabbed the latest patches. Then after flying a mission i noticed my realism was at 60% for that one mission, so i went into the options and checked the DiD. The very next mission my engine shut down in the middle of a 1v4 fight with a squad of EIII's. I was forced to land in friendly territory. when i came down apparently it was too hard and my screen went black and was then told my pilot did not survive. In the past with other pilots (this was actually my first crash landing with this pilot) i had survived much harder crashes on 100% realism.

Question:
    When selecting DiD, does that mean any crash no matter what, your pilot dies? and if you want a 'chance' to live, and take the injury time to recover, through a crash i need to take the 30 point realism hit and choose the "roll for death" option?

Or was this just terrible luck on my extremely frail pilot.

fyi, im not going to revive him either way, IM SO SAD I LOST HIM and that got me *curious. He had 18 hours flown and 11 confirmed kills in a N11. Oh, craziest thing about it was that for the entire 18 hours of flying time it was always raining and crappy weather. The day of his death was the most beautiful day i have seen in game, it was like San Diego weather.

Rick Rawlings
    Quote Originally Posted by KiloWolfhelm View Post

Or was this just terrible luck on my extremely frail pilot.

I believe it is this. I have also died on ridiculously soft touchdowns and lived through ones more severe.

gimpyguy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Rawlings View Post
    I believe it is this. I have also died on ridiculously soft touchdowns and lived through ones more severe.
    That's the main reason my pilots can NEVER die, they only face a forced retirement by ME. Any trip to the Hospital in excess of 22 Days, triggers the retirement dinner. Clip a treetop at your home field - 17 Days with the Nurses. Crash Landing over enemy territory - 21 Days in Their Hospital, then become a POW, escape in 3 Days, run back to my mates.
    A fireball at 6000 is 27 Days - stick a fork in him he's done.

Early in Phase 2, me and my DH2 were a little bit Hot on the Landing, my tailskid broke, CFS3 Saw a Crash, I DIED. Since that time my pilot can NEVER Die

Mk2
    Revive him.

It takes a second and your landing sounds resonable.

My 2 cents and humble opinion.

Polovski
    Just look at your settings for the pilot in workshop?
    Set them how you like...

Bullethead
    II was flying all of my missions at 100% realism until i grabbed the latest patches. Then after flying a mission i noticed my realism was at 60% for that one mission, so i went into the options and checked the DiD.
    I noticed this also.

In 1.0 through 1.2, "Death on Die Roll" was treated as "Normal" so didn't affect the realism rating. I was flying at R90, because I refuse to use manual mixture, which dropped me from 100.

In 1.25, however, I suddenly had R60. WTF? Then I looked in the fine print and it was saying "Death on Die Roll" was a contributing factor. Sure enough, it's now listed as an "Easy" option, just like "Never Dies".

IOW, where most Workshop options have Easy, Normal, and Hard settings, mortality is now Easy, Easy, Hard. No middle ground, at least as far as realism score goes. Kind of a downer.

Polovski
    Yep called HARD, EASY, EASIEST now.
    Easy = Roll a die throw when you crash from 10k.
    or CFS3 says you are dead, we roll a die.

It was brought in in P1 originally as there were many more bad ways to die and as most are fixed, improved now.... not perfect but better.

More likely now when something bad happens in game and you are dead, then you were dead.

gimpyguy
    Quote Originally Posted by Polovski View Post
    Just look at your settings for the pilot in workshop?
    Set them how you like...
    You pays your money, you takes your choice . . . SIMPLE

Bullethead
    Quote Originally Posted by Polovski View Post
    Yep called HARD, EASY, EASIEST now.
    Easy = Roll a die throw when you crash from 10k.
    or CFS3 says you are dead, we roll a die.
    OK, I was misunderstanding stuff then. I thought all this time that DiD meant that you were dead whenever you put a foot wrong, basically landing anywhere but on your home field, and even then you might die if you so much as dragged a wingtip without even breaking anything. Or if you groundloop on landing because the Hun shot one of your wheels off, but you stay upright.

Is that true?

That's why I've been doing DoDR. I thought all this did was give me a safety net chance in the silly "eggshell skull" cases such as mentioned above. IOW, if by rights you should be dead, you're dead, but if it was a very minor accident that in real life would be extremely unlikely to kill anybody, then you'd probably live although you might be hurt. I have found, however, that DoDR is nearly the same as being immortal. In fact, now in 1.25 there's only a 10% difference in Reality level between them, which seems appropriate because it appears that guys routinely survive exploding at 5k with DoDR.

This really makes me wonder why you even have DoDR. As it stands right now, using DoDR doesn't save you any face because it's for all intents and purposes the same as ND. So IMHO, you might as well junk it and just have ND and DiD.

But OTOH, if DiD really is as unforgiving as I've heard, then perhaps you could tweak the parameters of DoDR so that it only applies in the "eggshell skull" cases. IOW, instead of being nearly the same as ND, it should be nearly the same as DiD. It would exist as I thought it did, to give you a 2nd chance in the very minor crashes where DiD would kill you unrealistically often. But if you get blown up at 5k, you should still be dead even with DoDR.

Dej
    Prior to the realism penalty applied in the last patch, I always used DoDR, because I thought the element of chance was actually more realistic than 'death in every circumstance'. There are numerous stories of incredulous survivals from both World Wars - the nine lives of Al Deere, for example - equally, but less often told, are stories of sheer bad luck.

Granted the DoDR settings pre-patch were a little generous resulting in too many survivals (statistically, at least, I suspect). If it is to be fair it should randomise in both directions, i.e. I hit the ground from 1000 ft but because of the way the a/c breaks up I'm not killed but badly injured; OTOH, I make bit of a rough landing, happen to have my head at the wrong angle and break my neck.

As Terry Pratchett points out: 'one in a million chances, happen all the time'

I too would like to see it revised and made the 'norm'. I don't know what parameters it takes into account at the moment but perhaps, without running a bloomin' actuarial table in-game, there could be more variation in death, e.g. 'died instantly', 'died of wounds', died of injuries sustained in crash', 'sent home due to injuries (retired)' etc.

NOT a dev priority but it would, IMHO, improve immersion.

KiloWolfhelm
    I totally appreciate that you guys added a ton of settings so we can play the way that makes us best enjoy the game. But im still curious how exactly DiD is supposed to work. I Like the idea of playing DiD, im just curious about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post
    OK, I was misunderstanding stuff then. I thought all this time that DiD meant that you were dead whenever you put a foot wrong, basically landing anywhere but on your home field, and even then you might die if you so much as dragged a wingtip without even breaking anything. Or if you groundloop on landing because the Hun shot one of your wheels off, but you stay upright.

Is that true?
    This pretty much sums up my question, which i dont think has been answered yet.

Siggi
    I totally appreciate that you guys added a ton of settings so we can play the way that makes us best enjoy the game. But im still curious how exactly DiD is supposed to work. I Like the idea of playing DiD, im just curious about it.

This pretty much sums up my question, which i dont think has been answered yet.
    You're dead only if you die in the game, not simply because you land (alive) somewhere other than your home aerodrome.

77Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggi View Post
    You're dead only if you die in the game, not simply because you land (alive) somewhere other than your home aerodrome.
    What Siggi said here is exactly right.

Dead-is-dead doesn't just kill you for any little thing, as seemed to be the case in earlier Phases of OFF. Playing on dead-is-dead I have survived many crash landings, dragged wingtips, slow crashes into trees etc.

But yes, sometimes you might be killed in CSF3 from just a minor accident. It happens.

If you select the death-on-die-roll then OFF will randomly cancel some of your CSF3 deaths and keep you alive. It is a random outcome so sometimes the results are screwy...you can survive a horrific crash if the dice "roll you back to life".

Polovski
    Yeah what he said. So Bullethead just fly with dead is dead and you are DiD for that component.

Otherwise not with a random chance (hence die roll) ("die" as in single dice)

KiloWolfhelm
    awesome, totally understand now. Thank for all of the info.

Bullethead
    Ah, that's great. Thanks muchos!

Members who have read this thread: 0