CFS2 Perma-stickied help / problem / tweaking thread
Page 1 of 12 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: CFS2 Perma-stickied help / problem / tweaking thread

Gedm's CFS 2 Tips

ADDING DROP TANKS AND BOMBS:

This is the text copy of a thread or threads from an earlier date. You may be able to figure out who posted it and sometime not. I'm only reposting it as a reference point someone may find useful during a past form/post search for an answer to questions.

Also, any real time comments or corrections are welcome.

gedm :ernae:
    //////////////////////
    Gedm,
    BC is talking about section 534 of the .air file. Use AirEd program by William Roth, Open an .air file on one with working tank and right click on section 534, Copy to Clipboard, open your .air file that you want to add to and right click and Add from Clipboard.
    AirEd program download: http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/sy...file=aired.zip
    Section 534 entry for Bf109:
    Fuel tank number= 2 (with one internal tank)
    Fuel tank lateral offset= 0.0
    Fuel tank up/down offset= -4.0
    Ful tank forward/back offset= 0.0
    Fuel tank quantity capacity in gallons= 79.24 (300 liter german drop tank)
    Unusable capacity?= 0.0
    Unknown= 2

Hi all,
    Red Rooster it is possible to make new hard points with the dp.What you must understand is that a hard point is just a 3 dimension location in space coupled to the model.
    First you get your dp to accept there are working weapons available
    by adding a string of commands to the Gunstations section.This is usually the last entry to the gunstation,Or if you are using bombs and torpedo's as here 2 entries.Gunstations 3 and 4 and the associate [guns] section 3 and 4
    [GUNSTATIONS]
    ; Front Coplt Gun
    gunstation.0=0,58,1,0.08,839,2,0.01,1000,2,40,1d1* 14,0,-0.132187,5.844121,0,0,0,-25,25,25,-25,1.6
    ; Upper Gun
    gunstation.1=1,52,2,0.08,839,2,0.01,1000,2,40,1d1* 14,0,1.202,-4.148,0,0,180,-180,180,80,0,1.6
    ; Chin Gun
    gunstation.2=0,51,1,0.08,839,2,0.01,1000,2,40,1d1* 14,-0.352,-0.395,5.421,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,1.6
    ;
    gunstation.3=3,21,8,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0, 0,0,0,0
    ;
    gunstation.4=5,62,32,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0 ,0,0,0,0
    Then you add a command to say what type of weapon it is such as rocket ,torpedo or bomb in the gunstation.it is the first figure following the = sign.2=bomb,3=rockets and 4=torpedo
    in the guns section the additions are to tell how the weapon is to be fired.Usually copy and paste a default one in here.if you get this wrong the bombs etc just disappear when dropped.
    [guns.0]
    gun.0=1000,0,0,0.64375,0,0,1,1000
    [guns.1]
    gun.0=1000,0.183,0,-0.969001,0,0,1,1000
    gun.1=1000,-0.19,0,-0.969001,0,0,1,1000
    [guns.2]
    gun.0=1000,-0.002,-0.001,0.504,0,0,1,1000
    [guns.3]
    gun.0=16,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
    [guns.4]
    gun.0=1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
    You tell your bomb/rocket etc where you want it to be using this.
    This is the hardpoint for the stock B25.The 3 sets of figures for each hard point is a 3 dimension reference in this order...1/ left/right...2/ up or down and 3/ backwards and forwards.0 is always the stating point and work from there.
    [HARDPOINTS]
    mount.0=0,0,0
    mount.1=-0.247,-0.508,-0.558
    mount.2=0.247,-0.508,-0.558
    mount.3=-0.247,-0.508,0.611
    mount.4=0.247,-0.508,0.611
    mount.5=-0.247,-0.508,-0.558
    mount.6=0.247,-0.508,-0.558
    mount.7=-0.247,-0.508,0.611
    mount.8=0.247,-0.508,0.611
    Use the - sign to change the direction from the center point
    The weapons are attached to the hard points via the payloads sections.
    First you list the total number of different payloads as here.This one has 5
    [PAYLOADS]
    payload.0=%payload_name.0%
    payload.1=%payload_name.1%
    payload.2=%payload_name.2%
    payload.3=%payload_name.3%
    payload.4=%payload_name.4%
    Please note that payloads and mounts all start from 0.
    Then you set your weapon up to use whichever payload position you have made.Such as this example.The B 25 again.
    [PAYLOAD.0]
    ; Payload = Guns Only
    [PAYLOAD.1]
    ; Payload = Bombs Heavy
    mount.1=WEP_US_1000lb_GP, 1, -1
    mount.2=WEP_US_1000lb_GP, 1, 1
    [PAYLOAD.2]
    ; Payload = Bombs Medium
    mount.1=WEP_US_500lb_GP, 1, -1
    mount.2=WEP_US_500lb_GP, 1, 1
    mount.3=WEP_US_500lb_GP, 1, 1
    mount.4=WEP_US_500lb_GP, 1, 1
    [PAYLOAD.3]
    ; Payload = Bombs Light
    mount.1=WEP_US_250lb_GP, 1, -1
    mount.2=WEP_US_250lb_GP, 1, 1
    mount.3=WEP_US_250lb_GP, 1, 1
    mount.4=WEP_US_250lb_GP, 1, 1
    mount.5=WEP_US_250lb_GP, 1, 1
    mount.6=WEP_US_250lb_GP, 1, 1
    mount.7=WEP_US_250lb_GP, 1, 1
    mount.8=WEP_US_250lb_GP, 1, 1
    [PAYLOAD.4]
    ; Payload = Torpedo
    mount.0=wep_us_mk_13, 1, -1
    This says which mount you want and which weapon.It also says how they are to drop.The figure with the minus sign is saying that when bomb 1 drops all the rest are to drop with it.It is the most common setup.
    To get the weapons to show up in CFS2 selection control you then need to add the payload names into the botton of the [string] section of the dp like this,Again the stock B25.
    "payload_name.0"=Guns Only
    "payload_name.1"=Bombs Heavy
    "payload_name.2"=Bombs Medium
    "payload_name.3"=Bombs Light
    "payload_name.4"=Torpedo
    If after all this you are actually talking about getting a physical hard point to show up on say a wing and not drop this is done in the dp as well.
    If you look at the P38 dp you will see that the pylons on the wings are added through the dp.You can use these stock pylons on any a/c you want by adding the correct mounting points etc in the same way you add bombs etc.
    Hope this makes it a little clearer.
    Buddha13

Michael, the bombs, rockets and DT's are a mixture of stock and addon stuff in my install.... I can't extract and package for upload all the missing weap bgl's, dp's and bmp's that you need for these DP loadouts exactly. Go into your OBJECTS_DP folder and identify suitable japanese replacements for these objects. Copy their names and paste them over the names of my weaps, for example:
    [PAYLOAD.5]
    ; Payload = Bombs Long Range
    mount.0=wep_pylon_p38_wing, 1, -1
    mount.1=wep_ja_zero_drop_gp, 1, -1
    mount.2=wep_ja_250kg_gp, 1, -1
    mount.4=wep_pylon_ja_wing, 1, -1
    mount.3=wep_ja_250kg_gp, 1, -1
    mount.5=wep_pylon_ja_wing, 1, -1
    (XXXXXXXXXXXX = whatever you choose)
    [PAYLOAD.5]
    ; Payload = Bombs Long Range
    mount.0=wep_pylon_p38_wing, 1, -1
    mount.1=XXXXXXXXXX, 1, -1
    mount.2=XXXXXXXXXXXX, 1, -1
    mount.4=wep_pylon_ja_wing, 1, -1
    mount.3=XXXXXXXXXXXX, 1, -1
    mount.5=wep_pylon_ja_wing, 1, -1
    Its that simple....when one accumulates a large install like mine its often difficult to share DP mods because I have so many weapons bgl's and bmp's to sort thru in association with the dp objects selected and its always a concern that the recipients won't have the same objects. So, you just go with whatever you have as a replacement, using the basic structure I've provided as your mount points...
    Also, one more thing: did you replace your dp with mine entirely (no copy/pasting)? In addition to having no weaps, the default dp also had no [GUNSTATION] entries for rockets and bombs, which would preclude any weaps installed later from showing. So you would have to use my [GUNSTATION], [HARDPOINTS], [PAYLOADS] sections together. If you did this and still no-joy, send me your addy via PM and I may be able to email what I suspect you may be missing, but no promises on accuracy since I don't know your setup.

Adjusting Aircraft Height on runway

This is the text copy of a thread or threads from an earlier date. You may be able to figure out who posted it and sometime not. I'm only reposting it as a reference point someone may find useful during a past form/post search for an answer to questions

gedm
    ///////////////////////

Hi PSK,
    I think you'll find it's the contact points in the aircraft.cfg file. If you go into the cfg file and the [contact points] section the first three points (0,1,2) are the undercarriage contact points.
    Within each set of numbers the first three are the points at which the undercarriage touch the ground. Point.0 will either be a tail wheel (with a tail dragger) or a nose wheel (if like a P38 etc etc). Point.1 is the port or left hand uc info and point.2 is the starboard or right hand uc.
    The number classifications are: (see below)
    //0 Class
    //1 Longitudinal Position (feet)
    //2 Lateral Position (feet)
    //3 Vertical Position (feet)
    //4 Impact Damage Threshold (Feet Per Minute)
    //5 Brake Map (0=None, 1=Left, 2=Right)
    //6 Wheel Radius (feet)
    //7 Steer Angle (degrees)
    //8 Static Compression (feet) (0 if rigid)
    //9 Max/Static Compression Ratio
    //10 Damping Ratio (0=Undamped, 1=Critically Damped)
    //11 Extension Time (seconds)
    //12 Retraction Time (seconds)
    //13 Sound Type
    point.0=1.0, -33, 0.0, (-6.2), 2000.0, 0.0, 0.60, 45.96, 0.51, 2.5, 0.5, 5.0, 5.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0
    point.1=1.0, 5.2, -8.58, (-8.7), 2000.0, 1.0, 1.60, 0.0, 0.84, 2.5, 0.80, 7.0, 13.0, 2.0, 0.0, 0.0
    point.2=1.0, 5.2, 8.58, (-8.7), 2000.0, 2.0, 1.60, 0.0, 0.84, 2.5, 0.80, 5.0, 9.0, 3.0, 0.0, 0.0
    So, above you would need to change the figures in the fourth set ie -6.2, -8.7 and -8.7 to change the wheel contact points. All these figures are points below the central datum point, in feet. So (deep breath) you would have to reduce them to bring the ac closer to the ground (if ac sits too high) OR you need to increase them (equal amounts on each) to take the contact point further away and raise the ac up.
    If you save a copy of your ac.cfg file(s) and then try modding each up or down as neccessary, save and re-load the ac you should be able to get rid of their 'bad habits'.
    If not these then it may be the additional 'scrape points' which come into play when you crash land/land without uc. If the above does not work then we'll take a look at the other contact points.
    I hope this doesn't seem too patronising!
    Cheers Shessi

Bearcat sez...
    The main culprit in this "dropping" experience is the static height. If your aircraft drops and sits just right on the surface, the actual contact points are OK, but the static height is too high. The model is actually dropping down to the correct contact point values:

static_pitch = 0
    static_cg_height = 4.21

Lower this in tenths incrementally until the aircraft loads flush with the surface and stops dropping. The best way is to load the aircraft in FF and pause it immediately as soon as the screen opens from blank black to 2D panel view -- don't wait one second longer or the plane will drop. This will pause the aircraft in its floating position so you can externally see the amount of height to correct. Then minimize the screen and make adjustments in the cfg. Now maximize the screen again, hit 'Alt+A+A+Enter' and reload the aircraft again and keep it "paused". Every time you follow these steps the aircraft will reload frozen in pause and show the changes in height. Do this until there's no more distance between the wheels and the surface. But if you go too far and the wheels are too "dug-in", the model will now began to "bounce" up to the contact points values.

When you do this correctly, then you can fine tune the contact points as Shessi suggests if the tires have the look of being almost "deflated" as the model sits on the surface.
    BTW, a bit off-topic, but for those new to dp editing, the procedure i showed above for managing the screen view and making positional changes in the cfg is the same method i use for making positional changes in the dp. In dp work, this method only works for adjusting locations of weapons and gunflashes. For changing weapon types and effects like exhaust flames, you'll need to exit the sim completely and reload before using the new mods.

Blue Devil sez...
    static_pitch = 2.6
    static_cg_height = 4.21
    Don,t neglect "static_pitch" either, ...
    This sets the initial ground angle.
    When loaded, ...The A/C should settle from round tires touching the ground, ...down to squished tires (1/3 to 1/2 sidewall height) w/o any pitching.

Adding GSL Scenery

This is the text copy of a thread or threads from an earlier date. You may be able to figure out who posted it and sometime not. I'm only reposting it as a reference point someone may find useful during a past form/post search for an answer to questions

gedm

///////////////////////////////

Hi All,
    After many years of trying I finally managed to work out how to activate the defualt CFS2 GSL editor..
    Before starting backup your original cfs2.gsl file and put it in a safe place.
    To Activate:
    Open mission builder hold ctrl+alt+shift+g
    then just place objects as normal.
    To save it hold ctrl+alt+s
    Lindsay..
    Global Scenery Layer Editor Keyboard Commands
    Activate GSL edit mode = Ctrl + Alt + Shift + G
    Save GSL = Ctrl + Alt + S
    Save layout file. = Ctrl + E
    Load a layout file = Ctrl + L
    Notes:
    1: By default once you save the GSL it’s automatically added to the default CFS2.gsl file.
    2: Once added to the gsl the scenery can only be removed by removing the .gob file.
    You can save a master copy of your work in .mis or .lay format.
    The benefits of the editor are in that it allows the user to customize CFS2 to suite themselves. There is info in the CFS2 help file on how to change GSL layers.. Users can have multiple gsl layers (for example one modern era one set in WWII)..
    Cheers
    Lindsay

Adjusting pilot view point

gedm

////////////////////////////////

Bearcat sez 6.6.08
    G, load another CFS2 B29 and note the VC viewpoint. If it looks good, open its aircraft.cfg and look at the viewpoint parameters:
    [Views]
    eyepoint=-4.4, 0.04, 2.835
    eyepoint= long, lat, vert
    ....adjust accordingly
    As for the gauges, the best approach to determining CFS2 compatible replacements is to load the original model in FS9 and take a screenie of the panel...now you have a reference as you hunt through your collection of CFS2 gauges.

AI flight tuning

gedm

/////////////////////////////

CFS2 Flight Tuning
    For Improved AI Performance

By Tango_Romeo
    Software required to carryout this activity: AIRed or Aircraft Airfile Manager and
    NotePad.
    So you have this fantastic airplane that flies beautifully as a player aircraft, but as
    a wingman or AI exhibits extremely poor performance? Of course, all of us do
    and the problem can be corrected.
    Since I have recently ‘repaired’ some of these problem aircraft, a number of folks
    have asked me how to do it. Therefore, I have elected to produce this short
    tutorial on the process.
    What follows is not an in-depth technical treatise on AIR and CFG files. I’m
    simply going to tell you how to give your favorite player aircraft dazzling
    wingman/AI performance using a simple method that will work 99% of the time.
    To begin, the simplest way to determine whether or not your prize airplane is also
    going to perform in AI mode is not to put it in QC or a dogfight mission. What you
    want to do is hang some bombs and rockets on her, and put her in a simple
    mission as a wingman or AI flight with a ground attack assignment. If your
    aircraft, will deliver weapons on an assigned target (bombs, rockets and strafing),
    chances are she will perform well in a dogfight too. A caution here: the test
    target must be located on level terrain.
    Test performance that indicates a problem consists of the AI flying around a
    target without attacking, making an attack pass without releasing weapons or
    making a pass and releasing weapons then crashing. If your plane exhibits any
    of these tendencies as an AI, you have some work to do.
    The most common items that require some modification to enable the AI to work
    properly are called MOI settings (and 99% of the time they are the culprits).
    That’s Moment of Inertia. There are MOI settings for Pitch, Roll and Yaw, with
    Pitch being the most critical. These settings are normally found in the AIR file
    (Section 1001), but may be found only in the CFG (aircraft.cfg) file, or they can
    be present in both of these files. The explanation of this variation will come
    shortly.
    What is MOI? The simplest explanation is that it is the amount of force required
    to move the aircraft in that particular axis.
    And the problem is that the MOI settings that are realistic and work quite well for
    the player aircraft are usually twice (or more) as high as the maximum the AI can

effectively handle. This difficulty in overcoming the MOI numbers causes the sim
    to refuse to dive an aircraft because the sim knows it will not be able to pullout of
    the dive. If the numbers are close to what the sim can handle, it may dive the
    aircraft and find it has to pullout before reaching the release point for the
    weapons. And if the numbers are very close to what the sim can handle, the AI
    will dive the aircraft, release weapons and then not quite be able to recover. This
    very same difficulty in overcoming MOIs that are too high, prevents the AI from
    flying effectively in a dogfight. The result is AIs that refuse to engage.
    To solve this problem, we are going to need two sets of MOI numbers, one for
    the player and one for the AI in the same aircraft folder.
    And here is the reason we can have two sets of MOI numbers in the same folder:
    -When the sim loads a player aircraft, entries in the CFG file take
    precedence over those in the AIR file.
    -When the sim loads an AI or wingman, settings in the AIR file take
    precedence over those in the CFG file.
    Now that I have probably confused you totally, I’ll show you an example of this in
    the F9F2 that Fox Four started with for the Bunker Hill campaign. The aircraft
    flew wonderfully as a player but would do absolutely nothing in the AI role.
    The CFG file contained no MOI settings. Those were found only in Section 1001
    of the AIR file, which is quite normal, and this is how they appeared, and how
    they were modified:
    Roll 42541……..Changed to 8146
    Pitch 28357……..Changed to 13244
    Yaw 45678……..Changed to 18059
    Now when the AIs are loaded by the sim with the AIR file taking precedence, the
    MOI numbers are low enough for the sim to handle.
    Next, the original MOI settings, the ones that work well for the player aircraft
    were inserted into the CFG file like this:
    [WEIGHT_AND_BALANCE]
    empty_weight = 10069
    empty_weight_pitch_MOI = 42541
    empty_weight_roll_MOI = 28357
    empty_weight_yaw_MOI = 45678
    Now when the player aircraft is loaded with the CFG file taking precedence, the
    original MOI settings are available.

With these modifications in place, the F9F2 became an effective ground attack
    aircraft in wingman and AI modes, delivering bombs and rockets, as well as
    strafing runs. It also became a very effective dogfighter. And this same formula
    was applied to all Fox Four aircraft with the same excellent results.
    How much do you need to reduce the MOI numbers for the AI to handle them? I
    suggest reducing them by 50% at a time until you get results.
    DISCLAIMER: This has been an attempt to make a complex subject relatively
    simple, but there are times (rarely) when problems exist in other areas of the AIR
    file that will render this method ineffective. AIR files are complex documents and
    there are numerous entries that might require attention.
    And ever so often, you will actually stumble on an aircraft whose MOI numbers
    for the player and AI are so close together that no adjustment is required at all.
    This is also a rare occurrence.
    Most of the research and development done in gaining the information above
    was the work of Mike Eustace (IndioBlack) at Fox Four. Any errors contained
    here are solely mine, as is the blame for any lack of clarity.
    I hope this helps some of you along the way to a smoother CFS2 experience.
    Tom Sanford
    Tango_Romeo

This document is freeware and may be uploaded and distributed as such, but
    may not be used for monetary gain, or posted on any payware site. Any
    alterations must have the approval of the author.
    @Tom Sanford, Sanford Associates, 2008

Aircraft Categories by number

gedm

////////////////////////

Family=
    1 - Fighter (default)
    2 - Bomber
    3 - Ground vehicle
    4 - Static object
    5 - Ship or boat
    7 - carrier
    Category=
    1 - aircraft fighter
    2 - aircraft level bomber (B-24, He-111) including float planes
    3 - aircraft dive bomber (Stuka, Dauntless, Val)
    4 - aircraft torpedo bomber (Avenger, TBF)
    5 - aircraft tactical bomber (A-20, Ju-88)
    6 - aircraft strike (Fw-190F2, A-4; 2-engine nightfighters?)
    7 - aircraft civil
    8 - aircraft recon (Storch)
    9 - aircraft transport (C-47)
    10 - aircraft fighter-bomber (any fighter equipped with bombs) or Dive Bomb

I have all my multi engine bombers set to family 2 but the mission builder automatically sets them to 1 in missions.After I do a mission You have to go into the mission file and change the bombers back to 2 so they stay in formation.If you don't edit they will fly all over the place when you attack.

Talon

Category codes for non-aircraft objects:
    13 - ship aircraft carrier
    14 - ship cruiser
    15 - ship destroyer
    16 - ship submarine
    17 - ship battleship
    18 - ship patrol
    19 - ship auxiliary
    21 - tracked vehicle
    22 - wheeled vehicle
    23 - train car
    24 - amphibious vehicle
    29 - artillery static
    30 - mechanical equipment
    31 - structure static
    32 - factory
    33 - non-target object
    34 – runway
    Mission Directives
    0 = Used for Ships and Ground Units
    1 = Nothing
    2 = Intercept
    4 = ?
    8 = Fighter Sweep
    16 = Escort
    32 = CAP
    64 = ?
    128 = Strike
    256 = CAS
    512 = Search and Destroy
    1024 = ?
    2048 = Anti-Ship
    [MISC_DATA]
    min_speed= kph
    cruise_speed= kph
    max_speed= kph
    min_alt= meters
    cruise_alt= meters
    max_alt= meters

Waypoint orders
    0 = Nothing ?
    1 = Turn
    2 = Takeoff (used with unit id of ship to takeoff from)
    4 = Land At Base (used with unit id of ship to land on)
    8 = Start Loop
    16 = ?
    32 = Escort Attach (used with unit id of aircraft to be escorted)
    64 = Detach Flight (used with unit id of escort)
    128 = Ditch
    256 = Attack With Bombs (used with unit id of object to be attacked)
    512 = Attack With Rockets (used with unit id of object to be attacked)
    1024 = ?
    2048 = ?
    4096 = Land Anywhere
    8192 = Bail Out
    16384 = Attack With Torpedos (used with unit id of object to be attacked)
    32768 = Attack With Guns (used with unit id of object to be attacked)
    65536 = ?
    131072 = ?
    262144 = Intercept All
    524288 = Intercept Bombers
    1048576 = Escort Detach (used with unit id of aircraft being escorted)
    2097152 = ?
    4194304 = ?
    8388608 = Loiter
    16777216 = Attack With All Weapons (used with unit id of object to be attacked)
    67108864 = Do Not Evade

A [weather] section is :
    [weather]
    visibility.0=9828.03,0.00,802.20
    visibility.1=1000.03,802.21,1821.20
    vis_layers_num=2
    cloud.0=9,300.44,450.40,0.00,6,0,0,1,91.14,4,0
    cloud.1=9,502.40,750.60,0.00,7,0,0,1,91.14,4,0
    cloud.2=8,802.40,1821.60,0.00,8,0,0,0,0.00,4,0
    cloud_layers_num=3
    temp_layers_num=0
    wind_layers_num=0
    wind_surface=3000.60,5.00,5.00,250.00,0.00,0,0
    1 The visibility
    Visibility.n=visi (m), alt min (m), alt max (m)
    You can have several layers

2 Clouds
    cloud.0=9,300.44,450.40,0.00,6,0,0,1,91.14,4,0
    cloud.n=cloud type, alt min (m), alt max (m), ?, dens (1-8), ?, ?, prec , ?, ?, ?
    Cloud type :
    1 : Cirrus
    8 : stratus
    9 : cumulus
    10 : cumulo nimbus Thunderstorm
    Prec
    0 : no rain or snow
    1 : rain
    2 : snow

3 Temperature
    4 Wind
    Wind_surface.n=alt max (m), speed(knts), bursts(knts), direction (°), ?, turbulence, shear
    Turbulence :
    0 : none
    1 : occasionnal
    2 : light
    3 : moderated
    5 : strong
    Cisaillement :
    0 : progressive
    1 : moderated
    2 : sharp
    3 : strong
    You can have several wind layers :
    wind_layers_num=1
    wind_surface=609.60,15.00,20.00,101.00,0.00,4,1
    ...... from 0 to 609m
    wind.0=19.20,100.00,0.00,0.00,0.00,1,0
    ..... from (0 or 609m ?) to 19m

Aircraft attitude adjustment

gedm

/////////////////////////

Oglivie said...
    Another way that may work is to increase the cruise_lift_scalar in the [Flight_tuning] section of the aircraft.cfg file. If you do not have this section it can be copied and placed in the cfg file. Increase it by .1 or so until level attitude is attained.
    [flight_tuning]
    (cruise_lift_scalar=1.0)
    parasite_drag_scalar=1.0
    induced_drag_scalar=1.0
    elevator_effectiveness=1.0
    aileron_effectiveness=1.0
    rudder_effectiveness=1.0
    pitch_stability=1.0
    roll_stability=1.0
    yaw_stability=1.0
    elevator_trim_effectiveness=1.0
    aileron_trim_effectiveness=1.0
    rudder_trim_effectiveness=1.0

I will add this to this thread:

Sea Planes and Float Planes, for some reason, will not start on the water unless they are set as category 2. Regardless of what the float/sea plane was designed to do, assign it as category 2 and do not touch anything will the plane is spawning in the sim. I have found that if you touch anything, even pulling the throttle back, while a float/sea plane is spawning it will usually result in the plane spawning at 2000 feet. Wait until the plane is fully spawned and you can observe it rocking with the waves before changing views, adjusting the throttle or even sneezing too loudly.

OBIO

Blck square over panel

I'm guessing the Admin's want me to continue on this thread so please refer to the disclaimer on the earlier posts.

But just in case...These pearls of wisdom are not mine but older posts to some of the more common trouble shooting questions that had appeared on our recently lost "past tread" archives. If anyone else would like to add on as well please feel free.

////////////////////////////////////////

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LAX5x5
    Hello all. I just downloaded Akemi Mizoguchi's Spitfire V and I have a problem. There is a very large gray block that takes up almost the entire forward view in vc. It wouldn't be so bad if it were just visible in vc, but it is also partially obstructing my sight in forward right and left views in 2d. What is this and how can I get rid of it? Is there a fix/update for this model?
    Unfortunately I can't post a screenshot of it because this is my first post and I guess I need at least five posts to enter a URL.
    Thank you for your time.
    -Ely

Here's the fix:
    HINT (for a 2D cockpit)
    for those using Chuck'Led'Selby (aka) 39th Led version of ARAKS panel( 2D) here at soh
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/index.ph...fo&FileID=1044
    could save a bit of head scratching by replacing the first VC 01 in the PANEL CFG
    with this guaranteeing gauge placement
    (I ALSO USE THIS MOD WITH PAUL REBUFFAT'S PANELS CFG (my fave) for AKEMI'S 5 WITH NO PROBS )

(this is just grabbed from AKEMI-SAN'S original panel cfg)
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    [Vcockpit01]
    size_mm=512,512
    pixel_size=512,512
    Background_color=0,0,0
    texture=$panel
    visible=0
    gauge00=f4f4_wildcat!Airspeed-Indicator, 146,351,61,57
    gauge01=f4f4_wildcat!Altimeter, 148,414,56
    gauge02=f4f4_wildcat!Attitude-Indicator, 222,353,58,56
    gauge03=f4f4_wildcat!Climb-Indicator, 286,353,57,56
    gauge04=f4f4_wildcat!Clock, 87,352,45,46
    gauge05=f4f4_wildcat!Cylinder-Temperature, 402,370,46,43
    gauge06=f4f4_wildcat!Engine-Gauge, 402,422,49,46
    gauge07=f4f4_wildcat!Flaps-Lever, 160,314,45,20
    gauge08=f4f4_wildcat!Fuel-Selector, 31,425,41,43
    gauge09=f4f4_wildcat!Fuel-Tank-Content, 85,424,43,45
    gauge10=f4f4_wildcat!Landing-Gear-Position-Indicator, 109,313,47,20
    gauge11=f4f4_wildcat!Magnetic-Compass, 226,414,49,45
    gauge12=f4f4_wildcat!Manifold-Pressure, 351,349,46,42
    gauge13=f4f4_wildcat!Tachometer, 297,274,45,43
    gauge14=f4f4_wildcat!Turn-Coordinator, 288, 413 ,57,56
    gauge15=f4f4_wildcat!Starter, 360,410,24,50

Courtesy of Egypt

Cloning when shot down

Hi,
    that plane in qustion has a badly written dp-file. Open the respective dpfile and check the effects/systems section
    It should read like this
    [EFFECTS.0]
    ; System = Nose Structure
    effect.0=10,LIBRARY,fx_smkpuff_s,
    effect.1=30,LIBRARY,fx_gastank_s,
    effect.2=60,LIBRARY,fx_oilleak_m,
    effect.3=95,LIBRARY,fx_airexpl_l,
    effect.4=100,BREAK,,
    The last line is of interest. If it doesn' t have the twin comma at the end, it will behave as your culprit. You have to check every single sytem.
    After that, save the changed dp-file and delete the CDP-file and you are done.
    Cheers
    Achim
    FVB says:
    The prob is in the DP file.
    1) Go to your aircraft file and delete the CDP file (this is a computer generated copy of the DP file) and will do no harm in deleting. If you do not when you change the DP file the old CDP will be loaded.
    2) Open the DP file and scroll down to the EFFECTS section. At the end of each effect is a line which usually ends in eg break,,2.
    3) Go through each EFFECT and delete the number from each one. Save the file when edited.
    4) You will now have an aircraft which can be shot down and crash as a 'whole' aircraft.

Mercure sez:
    To stop the cloning open with wordpad the .DP file of the considered plane and remove in the EFFECTS.X the last figure in the last effect.x line, when it appears to be one at the end of the line, between two coma.
    (Why can't I just copy/paste exemples???)
    Then do not forget to delete the .cdp file

Jaxon sez:
    The key is indeed in the *.dp file.
    Your plane is probably not a stock one.
    But the *.dp file is based on one of the stockers.
    In there it looks like this:
    [EFFECTS.25]
    ; System = Rudder
    effect.0=95,LIBRARY,fx_smkpuff_s,
    effect.1=100,BREAK,12,
    Note the last line: if this part is 100% destroyed, it will break and part 12 of the model will visibly break off.
    If your plane`s 3D model does not support parts breaking off, you need to delete these numbers,or a complete copy of the model is shown as the broken part:
    [EFFECTS.25]
    ; System = Rudder
    effect.0=95,LIBRARY,fx_smkpuff_s,
    effect.1=100,BREAK,,

Happy flying,
    Jaxon

Bearcat sez:
    Try removing all the "Location = XXXXXXXX" from the effects also......these parameters are intended as additional instructions to the sim on where to position the listed effects (like geo-coordinates in scenery locations). Ideally, this should be a location in the center of the damage box, but not always.
    For example, you might use these location parameters to tell the sim to locate engine damage effects (fire and smoke) at the back of the nose box instead of at the center of the box, for a more realistic look of fire extending from the cowl flap line rather than the propellors.
    If these numbers are not well placed in the box correctly, you can get oddly placed damage effects and doubling still, in spite of removing break parameters.
    In the absence of these location parameters, the sim will default the effects to the center of the damage boxes automatically without a fuss.
    Or
    I just took a second look at this dp....its improperly formatted. At least 18 parts have incomplete LIBRARY parameters. They must be completed.
    For example:
    [EFFECTS.33]
    ; System = Starboard Elevator
    effect.0=95,LIBRARY,,
    effect.1=100,BREAK,,

Should be like this:
    [EFFECTS.33]
    ; System = Starboard Elevator
    effect.0=95,LIBRARY,fx_smkpuff_m,
    effect.1=100,BREAK,,
    Open another dp like the stock P39 and look at the formatting for a complete setup. All "LIBRARY,," must be completed with an FX filename between the ending commas.

Disable intro movie

Yo wsmwsm;
    There are 2 ways to do this:
    1) open the CFS2.cfg; look at the top:
    [LANGUAGE]
    DLL=english.fll
    [MAIN]
    ShowLogo=1
    ShowMovie=1
    change to:
    [LANGUAGE]
    DLL=english.fll
    [MAIN]
    ShowLogo=0
    ShowMovie=0
    2) or simply delete the movie from the main CFS2 folder - saves 20MB
    Your choice.

DP notes on gun stations

[GUNSTATIONS]
    gunstation.0= 0, 2, 1, 0.01, 870, 4, 0.01, 1000, 2, 40, 1d1*16, 0.55, 0.25, 2.2, 0.128056, 0, 0.1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0.5

[GUNSTATIONS]
    gunstation.{A}0={B}0,{C}2,{D}1,{E}0.01,{F}870,{G}4 ,{H}0.01,{I}1000,{J}2,{K}40,{L}1d1*16,{M}0.55,{N}0 .25,{O}2.2,{P}0.128056,{Q}0,{R}0.1,{S}0,{T}0,{U}0, {V}0,{W}0.5

A. Gunstation number: (sequential) this will be the number to associate individual guns with (note that there is no particular weapon related to any particular gunstation number. Add as many as you want).

B. Trigger type: 0=Mach Gun 1=Cannon 2=Rocket 3=Bomb

C. System association (see last number for each entry in [SYSTEMS]

D. Gun type: 1=Mach gun 2=Canon 4=Rocket 8=Bomb

E. Rate of fire (divide rounds/second into 1) Example: 50 rounds/sec = 1/50 = .02

F. Muzzle velocity: meters/sec (zero for Rockets & Bombs)

G. Round life (seconds round is tracked by simulation)

H. Muzzle flash: MS says flashes/sec. I disagree; I think this is actually 1/(flashes/sec). Typical values are .01 to .05

I. Range that AI aircraft begin firing (Meters)

J. Sound: 0= .303/7.62mm 2= .50 3= 13mm 4= 20mm 5= 30mm (set Bomb/Rocket to zero)

K. Tracer %

L. Damage dice: Typical values: 1d1*10 for .303, 1d1*14 for .50, 1d1*24 for 20mm, Rocket 1d1*300-3000, Bomb 1d1*600-6000 (this is the projectile's destructive power)

M. Gunstation X offset (Meters)

N. Gunstation Y offset (Meters)

O. Gunstation Z offset (Meters)

P. Pitch: angle of gunstation up/down (degrees) I suggest using similar angle values from other .dps in CFS. But if you must try calculating… The acceleration affects of gravity on objects is independent of their weight. If you disregard the aerodynamic properties of the projectile and assume it falls at the same rate as any dropped object, then you can use -4.877t2 (t is the travel time of the projectile to its target) to determine how far the bullet drops in horizontal flight. I would guess the average speed of the projectile is somewhere between its muzzle velocity and half that. I'm not going to add the plane's airspeed since the target is probably going just as fast. So let's take a target 1000 meters out, muzzle velocity of 870m/sec: t = 1000 / [(870 + 435) / 2] = 1.53 sec. This results in a drop of -4.877(1.532) = -11.42m. Now calculate an angle using tan ? = X/Z where X = X drop and Z = distance to target. Keep in mind this is a very simplified approach and not the proper way to do ballistic calculations, however I doubt the MS simulation is much more complicated or accurate. Also, all this does you little good in the heat of battle when you're pulling hard on the stick in a 20 degree climb with 30 degrees of roll. That's what the tracers are for.

Q. Bank: angle of gunstation left/right (degrees) Again, I suggest using similar weapon/angle values from other .dps in CFS. If you really must calculate, remember: tan ? = X/Z where X = X offset and Z = distance to target.

R. Heading: heading of gunstation (degrees)(Example: A rear facing AI gunstation may have a heading of 180)

S. Constraint Angle left (max rotation angle for AI guns)

T. Constraint Angle right (max rotation angle for AI guns)

U. Constraint Angle up (max rotation angle for AI guns)

V. Constraint Angle down (max rotation angle for AI guns)

W. Round weight (oz)

Gun site alignment

Open the panel folder the panel.cfg with notepad. Find at the very top of the file [VIEWS]. If you don't have [VIEWS] insert the following lines.
    [VIEWS]
    VIEW_FORWARD_WINDOWS=%window_title_00%
    VIEW_FORWARD_DIR=2.6,0.0,0.0
    The 2.6 is the figure you want to play with. Increase it (2.7 or 2.8 ....) will raise your stream of bullets. Lower it and the stream goes down.
    If you have allready [VIEWS] insert the two lines on top of the views. Write carefully, because the addition is case sensitive.

Gun Station adjustments

Yep, the DP file is where you adjust guns.
    Take a lookie here.

gunstation.0=0,24,1,0.08,839,2,0.01,500,2,40,1d1*1 4,3.5,-.15,.3,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,5.7
    The guns are placed using a 3 Axis system...X, Y and Z
    The X number (in red in the gun line shown) places guns laterally...that is left to right.
    The Y number (Blue) places guns vertically...up and down.
    The Z number (green) places guns longitudinally...front to back.
    Here's how I got a handle on gun placement (and payload placement as well..as it uses the same X, Y, Z system.
    Lay on your belly with your arms stretch out like wings. You are now a plane.
    The X number will place guns and bombs across your arms. Positive numbers will move them to the right, with larger numbers moving them out farther toward your hand (wing tip). Negative numbers will move guns and bombs outward to the left, again with larger numbers moving them farther out on the wing.
    The Y number will move guns and bombs from the center of your body, either up toward you back or down toward you chest/belly. Positive numbers will raise the guns/bombs while negative numbers will lower the guns/bombs.
    The Z number will move guns/bombs front to back (nose to tail). Positive numbers will move guns/bombs toward the front of the plane (your nose) while negative numbers will move them toward the rear of the plane (your feet).
    The unit of measurement used in the DP to place guns and bombs is metric...keep that in mind. Adjusting a number from 1 (for example) to 2 will move the gun or bomb a meter (39 inches)...so you will need to get very comfortable with decimals. 1 = 1 meter (39 inches), .1 = 1/10th of a meter or about 4 inches. .001 = 1/100th of a meter or about 1/2 inch. I hate the metric system (even though it is far more precise than what ever the system is America is called) so I convert it in my head to American. I meter = 1 Yard (close enough).
    Clear as Mud?
    Good, because I can't explain it any more as my wife is home from work and wants the computer so she can look up houses and animals....one we can't afford the other we have too many off (fish mostly...mean aggressive fish who refuse to get along with each other...they are about be either traded in on Guppies or dipped in bread crumbs and fried).
    OBIO

More on the subject:

Conservative recommendation....
    [GUNSTATIONS]
    ; Left Guns
    gunstation.0=0,24,1,(0.06,930),2,0.05,(1000),2,10, (1d1* 24),-2.293,-0.570,0.000,-0.36275,0,0.47892,0,0,0,0,5.18
    ; Left Guns
    gunstation.1=0,24,1,(0.06,930),2,0.05,(1000),2,10, (1d1* 24),-2.293,-0.570,0.000,-0.36275,0,0.47892,0,0,0,0,5.18
    ; Right Guns
    gunstation.2=0,31,1,(0.06,930),2,0.05,(1000),2,10, (1d1* 24),2.293,-0.570,0.000,-0.36275,0,-0.47892,0,0,0,0,5.18
    ; Right Guns
    gunstation.3=0,31,1,(0.06,930),2,0.05,(1000),2,10, (1d1* 24),2.293,-0.570,0.000,-0.36275,0,-0.47892,0,0,0,0,5.18
    ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    Keep in mind that its your private sim-play and you can do as you please with adjustments...the following is just a guide:
    [GUNSTATIONS]
    gunstation.0= 0, 2, 1, 0.01, 870, 4, 0.01, 1000, 2, 40, 1d1*16, 0.55, 0.25, 2.2, 0.128056, 0, 0.1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0.5
    [GUNSTATIONS]
    gunstation.{A}0={B}0,{C}2,{D}1,{E}0.01,{F}870,{G}4 ,{H}0.01,{I}1000,{J}2,{K}40,{L}1d1*16,{M}0.55,{N}0 .25,{O}2.2,{P}0.128056,{Q}0,{R}0.1,{S}0,{T}0,{U}0, {V}0,{W}0.5
    A. Gunstation number: (sequential) this will be the number to associate individual guns with (note that there is no particular weapon related to any particular gunstation number. Add as many as you want).
    B. Trigger type: 0=Mach Gun 1=Cannon 2=Rocket 3=Bomb
    C. System association (see last number for each entry in [SYSTEMS]
    D. Gun type: 1=Mach gun 2=Canon 4=Rocket 8=Bomb
    E. Rate of fire (divide rounds/second into 1) Example: 50 rounds/sec = 1/50 = .02
    F. Muzzle velocity: meters/sec (zero for Rockets & Bombs)
    G. Round life (seconds round is tracked by simulation)
    H. Muzzle flash: MS says flashes/sec. I disagree; I think this is actually 1/(flashes/sec). Typical values are .01 to .05
    I. Range that AI aircraft begin firing (Meters)
    J. Sound: 0= .303/7.62mm 2= .50 3= 13mm 4= 20mm 5= 30mm (set Bomb/Rocket to zero)
    K. Tracer %
    L. Damage dice: Typical values: 1d1*10 for .303, 1d1*14 for .50, 1d1*24 for 20mm, Rocket 1d1*300-3000, Bomb 1d1*600-6000 (this is the projectile's destructive power)
    M. Gunstation X offset (Meters)
    N. Gunstation Y offset (Meters)
    O. Gunstation Z offset (Meters)
    P. Pitch: angle of gunstation up/down (degrees) I suggest using similar angle values from other .dps in CFS. But if you must try calculating… The acceleration affects of gravity on objects is independent of their weight. If you disregard the aerodynamic properties of the projectile and assume it falls at the same rate as any dropped object, then you can use -4.877t2 (t is the travel time of the projectile to its target) to determine how far the bullet drops in horizontal flight. I would guess the average speed of the projectile is somewhere between its muzzle velocity and half that. I'm not going to add the plane's airspeed since the target is probably going just as fast. So let's take a target 1000 meters out, muzzle velocity of 870m/sec: t = 1000 / [(870 + 435) / 2] = 1.53 sec. This results in a drop of -4.877(1.532) = -11.42m. Now calculate an angle using tan ? = X/Z where X = X drop and Z = distance to target. Keep in mind this is a very simplified approach and not the proper way to do ballistic calculations, however I doubt the MS simulation is much more complicated or accurate. Also, all this does you little good in the heat of battle when you're pulling hard on the stick in a 20 degree climb with 30 degrees of roll. That's what the tracers are for.
    Q. Bank: angle of gunstation left/right (degrees) Again, I suggest using similar weapon/angle values from other .dps in CFS. If you really must calculate, remember: tan ? = X/Z where X = X offset and Z = distance to target.
    R. Heading: heading of gunstation (degrees)(Example: A rear facing AI gunstation may have a heading of 180)
    S. Constraint Angle left (max rotation angle for AI guns)
    T. Constraint Angle right (max rotation angle for AI guns)
    U. Constraint Angle up (max rotation angle for AI guns)
    V. Constraint Angle down (max rotation angle for AI guns)
    W. Round weight (oz)

; Port Guns
    gunstation.0=0,24,1,0.09,930,2,0.05,500,2,70,(1d1* 1 9),-2.144,-0.585,1.04,-0.181264,0,0.245192,0,0,0,0,1.6
    Too much tracer (70) ...the gunfire of your AI wingies will drag down your frames at this high value. Damage dice should be 1d1*19 instead of 1d1*1 9. This 1 9 value has a space between the digits that will cause the value to be read by the sim as 1, resulting in very little damage to your target.

This is great stuff Gedm, I'd forgotten much of this so its all going into a word document for future reference, Keep it coming
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gdem
    Why not turn this complete list you have posted on this thread into a
    pdf or what ever, and upload it as one large file to utilites or other. Just in
    case of an other server problem,then it can be a easy reloaded. ckissling

Well..

That sounds like the intelligent thing to do, and I got to say.. I usually as a life style choice do just the opposite.:d

But seriously, it is in the realm of possibility and would take some editing to make it a little more cohesive and understandable. As is, it's just a bunch of solutions I've saved as note pad documents with some duplications and at times sort of fragmented.

Also it might or might not be be an issue getting everyone who actually provided the wisdom, permission for me to upload.

Do you guy's think that would be an issue?

As it stands right now I just have a few more to post and that will be it for my collection. It's just to late tonight so I'll post the rest hopefully tomorrow night.
    :ernae:

I personally dont think that would be an issue as the items were freely posted by the originator with the intention of informing other CFS2 flyers. There couldn't be copyright issues with a public post surely?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And it might save that information of those who have moved on to
    other things or greener pastures. ckissling

Some of the stuff on this website has already been posted in this thread, but I figured it would be a good idea to provide the link since it has a lot of tutorials on model building for CFS.
    http://www.cfgse.calebflerk.com/index.htm

redrooster
    The propeller is just a big fan in front of the plane used to keep the pilot cool. When it stops, you can actually watch the pilot start sweating.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MDLC and the F switch

Bearcat sez 6.6.08
    copy the text below into a blank Notepad screen:
    cls
    echo off
    MDLC /f FS9.mdl
    MDLC /t FS9.md8
    MDLC /c FS9.mdt FS9.md2 F
    rename fs9.md2 cfs2.mdl
    pause

--------------------------------
    Save the txt file as "MDLC F switch.bat", and not "MDLC F switch.bat.txt".
    Put the bat file in your MDLC folder.
    Put a copy of your fs9 aircraft mdl into the MDLC folder also and rename it "FS9.mdl".
    Doubleclick the bat file and let it work...when it completes, press any key to disengage the bat file. It will automatically name the mdl as CFS2.mdl. All you have to do is name it back to "B-29.mdl" or whatever.

Screen Shots how to

Easiest way is to hit the Prt Scr key on your keyboard at the approproate moment. This then takes a snap of your screen and puts it on your clipboard. Open up your graphics package (Paint Shop Pro, Paint or whatever and hit Ctrl + V (paste). Your shot should then appear ready to be cropped etc and saved. The shot could equally be pasted into Word or any application that will carry a graphic.

OR...

1. set screen resolution to 1024x768x32, ...if you want to post.
    2. open a M$ "PAINT" window.
    3. Fly CFS2
    4. When you want a shot, ...hit "P" to PAUSE.
    5. Compose your shot, ...zoom, pan, internal, external, etc...
    6. Hit the "Print Screen" key.
    7. Hit the "M$ Windows" key (the one to the right of the right side "ALT" key) to diminish CFS2.
    8. In PAINT, ...select "Edit/Paste".
    9. Save pic as either .bmp (if ya want to work on it later) of .JPEG.
    10. Select toolbar CFS2 icon to resume flying.
    11. For another pic, ...in PAINT, "Select All/Edit/Paste" will allow you to re-use the same Paint window. Just leave it open.

Slewing

I wonder if that slight misplacement is the same as with the catapult launch misallignment we often see. If so, it's a CFS 2 thing and the best way to fix it is to have your "Slew" enabled as a cheat and then just slew over to the center of the runway at the start of the mission. Of course a little differential baking or rudder would work as well on the runway (but not on the catapult).
    To enable "Slew" whenever you want, just put this at the bottom of your CFS 2.cfg file:
    [CHEATS]
    bomb_trainer=0
    free_warp=0
    ALLOW_SLEW=1
    damagemsgs=0
    show_damage_log=0
    0 equals "off" and 1 equals "on."
    //////////////////////////////////////////
    You can also activate slew in missions by adding this paragraph to the bottom of your CFS 2.cfg file:
    [CHEATS]
    bomb_trainer=0
    free_warp=0
    ALLOW_SLEW=1
    damagemsgs=0
    show_damage_log=0
    "1" will turn the option on 24/7 and 0 will turn it off. For mission building or inspecting scenery I often leave the slew option on all of the time. The bomb trainer is great for calibrating bomb sights for altitude and airspeed.

Speed increase for aircraft

Open your a/c folder and open aircraft.cfg, change power_scalar from 1.0 to 1.2 and change thrust_scalar from 1.0 to 1.3. Try that and see if you get your speed. ckissling
    Another way to speed up your plane - instead of increasing power - is to decrease the drag.
    Open the Air file using using AirEd. Scroll down to section 1101 and open it. One of the sub-sections in of 1101 is -----Drag-----. Find the entry for Drag Coefficient - Zero Lift, and decrease value a bit. You should find that your speed goes up. Just keep tweaking that number until you find the top speed you want.
    By the way, make sure you are displaying 'true airspeed' in your settings when you test for top speed. You'll wont get numbers like 470mph at high altitude as an an 33'indicated' airspeed.

Rear gunner accuracy

Evil rear gunners
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi All,
    As most of us CFS2er’s know the AI gunners have better aim than today’s smart bombs.
    I mean come on, I was 2000ft above a Val and I made a high speed pass and got hit four times.
    Dead center hits too. Two hits on the engine and two on the fuselage.
    The most common fix for this is to reduce the range at witch the gunners open fire.
    The other thing is to reduce the rate of fire.
    These fixes work OK, but introduce unrealistic behavior.
    I mean if I were rear gunner, I would give an attacking aircraft a burst, even if I new he was out of range, just to let him know I got my eye on him.
    Well to make a long story short, last night I got one of my ideas. “What if I introduce an error factor on the bullets?” So I gave it a try. First, to make sure it would give the effect I was after, I offset the angle by 10deg., and those gunners could not hit the broad side of a barn as they say. Lot of tracers flying by, but no hits. This is good. I now have it set at 1deg. and so far I like it.
    I think it is more realistic because the closer you get the less the error becomes and the chances of getting hit increase. Also, when you do get hit, it is no longer dead center.
    If you would like to try it, use DPED to open the Aircraft’s DP file and change the L/R angle of the rear gunners bullets form 0 to 1. If you think you are not getting hit enough change it to 0.5 or 0.75.
    Overwrite and del the CDP file and let me know what you think.
    B24Guy

Hi All,
    This is the fix I use.
    Set the box marked "Trigger" to "0 Guns" and the box marked "Spec" to "2 Cannon"
    I think that prehaps the box labled "Trigger" in DPED is really the "Spec" and vice-a-versa. Because the box marked "Spec" controls the player's trigger button.
    Try it. You will be glad you did.
    Regards,
    B24Guy

Members who have read this thread: 15