CFS2 Perma-stickied help / problem / tweaking thread

Thread: CFS2 Perma-stickied help / problem / tweaking thread

Hybrid View

Some of the stuff on this website has already been posted in this thread, but I figured it would be a good idea to provide the link since it has a lot of tutorials on model building for CFS.
    http://www.cfgse.calebflerk.com/index.htm

redrooster
    The propeller is just a big fan in front of the plane used to keep the pilot cool. When it stops, you can actually watch the pilot start sweating.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MDLC and the F switch

Bearcat sez 6.6.08
    copy the text below into a blank Notepad screen:
    cls
    echo off
    MDLC /f FS9.mdl
    MDLC /t FS9.md8
    MDLC /c FS9.mdt FS9.md2 F
    rename fs9.md2 cfs2.mdl
    pause

--------------------------------
    Save the txt file as "MDLC F switch.bat", and not "MDLC F switch.bat.txt".
    Put the bat file in your MDLC folder.
    Put a copy of your fs9 aircraft mdl into the MDLC folder also and rename it "FS9.mdl".
    Doubleclick the bat file and let it work...when it completes, press any key to disengage the bat file. It will automatically name the mdl as CFS2.mdl. All you have to do is name it back to "B-29.mdl" or whatever.

Screen Shots how to

Easiest way is to hit the Prt Scr key on your keyboard at the approproate moment. This then takes a snap of your screen and puts it on your clipboard. Open up your graphics package (Paint Shop Pro, Paint or whatever and hit Ctrl + V (paste). Your shot should then appear ready to be cropped etc and saved. The shot could equally be pasted into Word or any application that will carry a graphic.

OR...

1. set screen resolution to 1024x768x32, ...if you want to post.
    2. open a M$ "PAINT" window.
    3. Fly CFS2
    4. When you want a shot, ...hit "P" to PAUSE.
    5. Compose your shot, ...zoom, pan, internal, external, etc...
    6. Hit the "Print Screen" key.
    7. Hit the "M$ Windows" key (the one to the right of the right side "ALT" key) to diminish CFS2.
    8. In PAINT, ...select "Edit/Paste".
    9. Save pic as either .bmp (if ya want to work on it later) of .JPEG.
    10. Select toolbar CFS2 icon to resume flying.
    11. For another pic, ...in PAINT, "Select All/Edit/Paste" will allow you to re-use the same Paint window. Just leave it open.

Slewing

I wonder if that slight misplacement is the same as with the catapult launch misallignment we often see. If so, it's a CFS 2 thing and the best way to fix it is to have your "Slew" enabled as a cheat and then just slew over to the center of the runway at the start of the mission. Of course a little differential baking or rudder would work as well on the runway (but not on the catapult).
    To enable "Slew" whenever you want, just put this at the bottom of your CFS 2.cfg file:
    [CHEATS]
    bomb_trainer=0
    free_warp=0
    ALLOW_SLEW=1
    damagemsgs=0
    show_damage_log=0
    0 equals "off" and 1 equals "on."
    //////////////////////////////////////////
    You can also activate slew in missions by adding this paragraph to the bottom of your CFS 2.cfg file:
    [CHEATS]
    bomb_trainer=0
    free_warp=0
    ALLOW_SLEW=1
    damagemsgs=0
    show_damage_log=0
    "1" will turn the option on 24/7 and 0 will turn it off. For mission building or inspecting scenery I often leave the slew option on all of the time. The bomb trainer is great for calibrating bomb sights for altitude and airspeed.

Speed increase for aircraft

Open your a/c folder and open aircraft.cfg, change power_scalar from 1.0 to 1.2 and change thrust_scalar from 1.0 to 1.3. Try that and see if you get your speed. ckissling
    Another way to speed up your plane - instead of increasing power - is to decrease the drag.
    Open the Air file using using AirEd. Scroll down to section 1101 and open it. One of the sub-sections in of 1101 is -----Drag-----. Find the entry for Drag Coefficient - Zero Lift, and decrease value a bit. You should find that your speed goes up. Just keep tweaking that number until you find the top speed you want.
    By the way, make sure you are displaying 'true airspeed' in your settings when you test for top speed. You'll wont get numbers like 470mph at high altitude as an an 33'indicated' airspeed.

Rear gunner accuracy

Evil rear gunners
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi All,
    As most of us CFS2er’s know the AI gunners have better aim than today’s smart bombs.
    I mean come on, I was 2000ft above a Val and I made a high speed pass and got hit four times.
    Dead center hits too. Two hits on the engine and two on the fuselage.
    The most common fix for this is to reduce the range at witch the gunners open fire.
    The other thing is to reduce the rate of fire.
    These fixes work OK, but introduce unrealistic behavior.
    I mean if I were rear gunner, I would give an attacking aircraft a burst, even if I new he was out of range, just to let him know I got my eye on him.
    Well to make a long story short, last night I got one of my ideas. “What if I introduce an error factor on the bullets?” So I gave it a try. First, to make sure it would give the effect I was after, I offset the angle by 10deg., and those gunners could not hit the broad side of a barn as they say. Lot of tracers flying by, but no hits. This is good. I now have it set at 1deg. and so far I like it.
    I think it is more realistic because the closer you get the less the error becomes and the chances of getting hit increase. Also, when you do get hit, it is no longer dead center.
    If you would like to try it, use DPED to open the Aircraft’s DP file and change the L/R angle of the rear gunners bullets form 0 to 1. If you think you are not getting hit enough change it to 0.5 or 0.75.
    Overwrite and del the CDP file and let me know what you think.
    B24Guy

Hi All,
    This is the fix I use.
    Set the box marked "Trigger" to "0 Guns" and the box marked "Spec" to "2 Cannon"
    I think that prehaps the box labled "Trigger" in DPED is really the "Spec" and vice-a-versa. Because the box marked "Spec" controls the player's trigger button.
    Try it. You will be glad you did.
    Regards,
    B24Guy

Converted fs9 aircraft transparency

FS9 conversion A/C appear transparent.
    Open texture files with "Dxtbmp" and save them as "extended bitmap 16bit 565 ".
    Thanks for help.
    It works fine, except for prop, that turns to a grey circle, but I replaced it by a neat one.
    Regards
    F. de Bressy

Icon22 Reply...

Easy Flier,

Why don't we put your reply in this thread...it should not be lost.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Thanks for the link, is there one about adding aircraft? trying to get a 109 to show up in combat. I've installed 4 different ones and don't see any..
    I think I'm so used to the ease of FSX not doing it right in CFS2.

Thanks again

Members who have read this thread: 23