Memory brands...

Thread: Memory brands...

Cobra427so

Memory brands...

If you were to choose a memory brand, ie:

Kingston, Crucial, Corsair, Ultra, is there really a performance difference for the $ from one to another?

It costs a little more but I'm leaning toward the Crucial...

Cobra427so

I've used all the ones you named except Ultra (I had an Ultra PS and wasn't terribly impressed). Also, Patriot and a couple others, too. For me, there's not a huge difference - but I've developed a liking for the Corsair stuff I have now (less trouble it seems, and was competitive with others in cost). Crucial, I've heard good things about from others, but I had a bump or two with trying to OC some Ballistics modules I had. Same with Patriot.

I think it has more to do with your motherboard, and whether you try to OC, than which specific brand you use. What works well in one setup might not in another. Best bet? Do some reading online Particularly, you might check on a forum for the motherboard you use - you can see what experiences others have had, good and bad.

HTH
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My rig:
    eVGA780i FTW, Intel C2De8400 (o/c-3.83G), 2G Corsair Dominator SLI PC2-8500, 2x eVGA 9800GT 1024M GDDR3/SLIx16 (o/c-700/1750/945), Corsair TX750W PS

ivanmoe
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra427so View Post
    If you were to choose a memory brand, ie:

Kingston, Crucial, Corsair, Ultra, is there really a performance difference for the $ from one to another?

It costs a little more but I'm leaning toward the Crucial...

Cobra427so
    Micron memory sells memory under the Crucial brand. The best memory modules around have Micron chips on them, including Corsair and others. It comes with a lifetime warranty (which I have benefited from). Here's a review of that includes their 2 x 2GB modules:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...mory,2079.html

SITTINGDUCK

memory

cliff,,,what do you think of this...

CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-8500C7 - Retail

its only 66.00 for 4 gigs, which is what scares me,,,,,

Memory prices fluctuate a lot - and nothing will drop 'em faster than the advent of a new chipset that only takes the next-best-thing in memory (in this case, the core i7 chipsets are DDR-3 only, per the article ivanmoe linked to above). So, the memory folks already know DDR2's days are numbered (but then, being in 'da bidness', they likely knew long ago). That memory seems OK to me at that price - but again, it depends on the board and whether/how agressively you intend to overclock. Read up! It's the only real way to learn about price v. performance, just like the article above says
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My rig:
    eVGA780i FTW, Intel C2De8400 (o/c-3.83G), 2G Corsair Dominator SLI PC2-8500, 2x eVGA 9800GT 1024M GDDR3/SLIx16 (o/c-700/1750/945), Corsair TX750W PS