Revised Marcus & Wake Islands by UncleTgt!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revised Marcus & Wake Islands by UncleTgt!

Icon22 Revised Marcus & Wake Islands by UncleTgt!

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Scenery Add-Ons

Description: Marcus & Wake Island Scenery for CFS2 by UncleTgt

This is a reworking of the stock airbase sceneries for both Marcus & Wake Islands. It is designed for use with Rhumbas mesh, but the scenery excludes provided should mean this works well in a stock mesh install too.

Contents: New Ground2K scenery for each, including fringing reefs.

New airbase scenery, made using FSSC.

New gsl infrastructure.

New custom Landclass & Waterclass.

I've provided 2 different airbase sceneries for Wake Island. The default depicts Wake as of October 1943, when the Japanese had completed the other runways & expanded hardstanding & revetments for increased aircraft storage. Another set of files depict Wake as per December 1941, when only the main runway was finished & ready for use.

I was unable to completely resolve the disappearing background issue at Wake airbase. I found that lowering the airfield altitude minimized the issue. As we're likely to use this for combat missions only (mainly target practice!), I accepted this compromise in the interests of getting this scenery out of the door! Some of the screengrabs show the issue, with the blended background for the western most runway at Wake refusing to display expect in spot plane view...

Credits - Thanks to: Jean Bomber for his inspiration, advice & support. He talked me through getting to grips with G2K & more.

Maskrider for all his airbase packages & the blended airbase tutorial. This set the standard for airbase sceneries for the game.

Rhumbaflappy for the new more accurate world mesh – it was a desire to make best use of this development that is the driver for many of my scenery projects. He also developed the vtp1 fixer programme to fix display errors in vtp bgls compiled from Ground2K.

GavinC for his reworking of the stock airbases, making individual base reworking/ revision much easier.

Shessi for his water textures, that were the inspiration for my reworking of Jimkos Pacific Blues, & indirectly lead me to develop this latest set of water textures.

Lindsay Watt for all of his scenery objects & innovations.

Wolfi for his scenery objects.

Xavier for all his scenery objects & airbase sceneries, opening up a larger world for us all to fly in.

Martin Wright for all the various software tools that are so useful!

Russell Dirks for his EZ landclass programme, making large scale land/ water class adjustments possible.

Christian Fumey for his excl8 & Ground2K programmes, making the creation of completely new scenery possible for CFS2.

UncleTgt

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Marcus & Wake Revised UT.zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Wake Island 1943 wreck Eye-Candy UT.zip

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Scenery Add-Ons

Description: Wake 1943 Eyecandy

Two simple mods for existing objects to turn them into Wake Island wreckage.

F4F Wildcat wreckage. These are simple repaints of Allen's F4F crashed & F4F wreck bgls, painted to depict the VMF211 F4F-3 discarded off the end of the runway at Wake in 1941.

Get Allens F4F Wildcats wrecks & crashed bgls & simply replace the Navy Blue textures with these.

MomiAPD wrecks. In the original invasion in December 1941 the Japanese deliberately beached 2 old Momi class DDs, converted for use as APDs, to ensure the landing force got ashore. These wrecks were soon de-gunned to provide the island with improved defences, & were still visible as landmarks even to the very end of the War.

Stuart 277 did most of the butchery to his Momi APD models, I just tweaked the textures, then using g-max & Allen's "making Exploding Objects using FS2002" tutorial I was able to generate the scenery bgls.

Place these in the relevant folders within your cfs2 install. A simple mission is provided to illustrate the scenery locations, together with an layout for use in missions. Best used with my reworked Marcus & Wake scenery.

Thanks to: Allen for the steer on configuring g-max to complete the bgl export, his Exploding Objects using FS2002 tutorial & tools, & lastly his F4F Wildcat wrecked & crashed bgls.

Stuart 277 for graciously butchering his Momi APD models & providing 2 different options for compilation as wreck bgls.

UncleTgt,

JAN 2020

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Wake Island 1943 wreck Eye-Candy UT.zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Icon22 Reply...

UncleTgt,

This is quite the outstanding revision and enhancement for the Pacific, thank you for all of your efforts!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Christmas came late this year!
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Many thanks for this great looking update Uncle! A big bonus for the Pacific.

Indeed, a great addition for the PTO. I will make good use of them...

Greg
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Excellent! Can't wait to load them up. Great work UT!

Gee- orgious

Beautiful work UncleTgt. It's amazing what you are able to create. Thank you for sharing your work with the rest of us.

msfossey

Uncle The new scenery is spectacular! and also the ocean water !!!!!

i was blown out of the water to see that quality in the water, a quality i have tried for many many years to achieve.

can you possibly post what you used what textures and where to get them and how to install?

I am sorry i have been long absent from here, i do watch developments but ended up deep in development of models for several other sims, and learning the software and techniques and then creating over 2000 models has taken years of work. Also health and loss of my veteran father of 96 yrs, he was a US Army radar expert who helped install the warning system in teh UK and then climbed the cliffs at the beach at D Day with the 10 Mountain guys to put out the German radar site up there. ...

i am so glad to see superb work has continued here, Rami's new release, all of the wonderful new ships and your work also.

thanks to all hands

Admiral (Ret) CrisGer
    Beached but not Idle
    Beached Admiral Naval Wargame Society 1978
    Admin
    3D Worlds and Game Developers Group Linkedin
    Tester of Ships: Sea Trials and Consults

Everything is in the zip.

The sim Pacific water is a combination of Jimkos Pacific Blues & Shessi's Eurowater textures. There's some tesselation at higher altitudes, but in general it gives very "immersive" results ...

Subdued Water Textures here
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=45&id=20962

thanks for that info. it is very good ....however you achieved it. The overly bright garish greens of the Pacific have bothered me for years. it is true it was remarkable in some areas but not as bright as it often appears in some sets. thanks so much for your efforts.
    Beached Admiral Naval Wargame Society 1978
    Admin
    3D Worlds and Game Developers Group Linkedin
    Tester of Ships: Sea Trials and Consults

I'm not having much success with this, see attached. Any thoughts?

You get green/brown squares when the bitmaps names of your
    Cfs2/scenedb/world/texture folder don't match those in your cfs2/texture folder - it's a Ground2K thing (G2K is the program used to create add-on scenery).

Check you copied everything over as per the readme.

All the bitmaps names match (they were copied and pasted). - I'll keep trying and let you know if I have any better results.

Quote Originally Posted by RWILLS View Post
    All the bitmaps names match (they were copied and pasted). - I'll keep trying and let you know if I have any better results.
    RWills

Check all the bitmap names, not just the ones in the addon package. It could be a Land or waterclass bitmap that's not ipresent n both locations, it would still give the same display issue.

IIRC correctly this scenery didn't use a lot of new coastline or coral reef textures, they were all textures that existed already.

Marcus Island looks very nice, so whatever is causing the problem for me is only affecting Wake.

RWills

Your last comment had me digging out the original G2K files (from 2 years ago!).

As Marcus was displaying correctly, but Wake was not, and that they share the same scenery layer within CFS 2, all pointed to an issue with one of the Wake island bgls.

So, I fired up G2K & loaded Wake Island.LWM & went through each line & poly call-out

I may have found something!

There is a single section of line that references "PT-waveless-shoreline2", when it should read "sandsu".

Now, if you had Maskriders Gilberts already installed, the scenery would display OK. But - if you didn't - I think you would see what you have described.

So, I recompiled the "wake_Island_8_fixed.bgl & it's attached to this post.

Replace the one currently in your Marcus_Wake_UT/Scenery folder with this one & report back.

If this fixes the display issue for you, I will update the upload accordingly.

Thanks for highlighting this problem.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

I'll give that a try. I've also been experimenting, first by separately installing Wake and Marcus and so far have found that when I removed the Wake_Island_7_fixed.bgl then I seem to get everything else working (as far as I can tell), certainly a vast improvement and satisfactory results. I'll keep working on it though.

Also, (fyi) apart from the
    DEM8
    CFS2_Watermasking_01
    CFS2_Watermasking_01

the only other scenery I have installed (apart from Marcus/Wake) is

MR Philippines No1 and No2 (with your dark backgrounds texture set)

I'll let you know what progress I make, and post a couple of screenshots.

update

the only file that appears to be causing a problem/conflict for me is the Wake_Island_7_fixed.bgl
    If I remove just that single file then everything is fine (obviously I lose some water detail/texture around Wake, but it's still pretty good). Marcus is 100% ok.

So for me, removing the Wake_Island_7_fixed.bgl at least gives a workable solution and allows the Wake scenery to be installed and used.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wake_1.jpg  

Icon26

Quote Originally Posted by RWILLS View Post
    I'm not having much success with this, see attached. Any thoughts?
    I just thought it was global warming.....

M

Members who have read this thread: 1