Running CFS2 in Higher Resolution?

Thread: Running CFS2 in Higher Resolution?

Running CFS2 in Higher Resolution?

G'day, gentlemen.

Can anyone tell me if they are able to run CFS2 in modern high resolutions?

I have an nVidia card and I see the higher options in the CFS2 Advanced Menu but it doesn't seem to apply.

Can anyone tell me the highest possible setting?

Thank you in advanced.

KevinB

Quote Originally Posted by Bookman1960 View Post
    G'day, gentlemen.

Can anyone tell me if they are able to run CFS2 in modern high resolutions?

I have an nVidia card and I see the higher options in the CFS2 Advanced Menu but it doesn't seem to apply.

Can anyone tell me the highest possible setting?

Thank you in advanced.

KevinB
    I think CFS2 can only run in the max resolution of your LCD monitor. I have 2 monitors, one at 1280 X 960 and the other one at 1600 x 1200. I can only run CFS2 at 1280 X 960 on the monitor with the lower resolution.

Kevin,

CFS2 can run up to a max resolution of 2048X1536, but from what I am reading that may not be your issue. The internal graphics settings for CFS2 don't seem to function any longer on systems running modern OS's (Windows 7, 8 and 10) and graphics cards (at least nVidia cards).

To get CFS2's 3D graphics working, you will need to hand edit the cfs2.cfg file.

Search the file for an entry section that begins with [DISPLAY].

Here is a copy of my settings:

[DISPLAY]
    Device=NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (\\.\DISPLAY1)
    Mode=1920x1200x32
    Dither=0
    Filter=1
    TriLinear=1
    MipMap=1
    AntiAlias=1
    HWTnL=1

I was only able to get Trilinear filtering working by enabling (1 instead of 0) both the filter (bilinear) and TriLinear. Also if you have an entry that reads disable or disabled, change the 1 to a 0.

It's also important to note that if you go into display settings on CFS2, it will overwrite your hand editing. Be sure to enter in your hand edits again. Good idea to keep them on a seperate notepad file for ease.

Also make sure there is only one entry for the below. There was one occasion where I misspelt the device name and CFS2 added a second display entry further down in the cfg file. Took me quite a while to work out why my hand edits weren't working!!!

[DISPLAY]
    Device=NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (\\.\DISPLAY1)
    Mode=1920x1080x32
    Dither=0
    TriLinear=1
    AntiAlias=1
    HWTnL=1

Members who have read this thread: 7