Stock P-51B/C overhaul, northern Europe
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stock P-51B/C overhaul, northern Europe

Stock P-51B/C overhaul, northern Europe

Let me throw a bit of a curveball here. With all the great early war aircraft around the later years deserve some attention too and there's one model that has been neglected for nearly the entire history of CFS3, the stock P-51B. Undoubtedly one of the most important aircraft of the entire war and a reasonably good looking MS model so I decided to finally put on the map properly. I have to admit that it turned out to be a bit of an ace collection but that's what everyone secretly wants anyway...

18 aircraft in total - P-51B and P-51C models, both with V-1650-3 and V-1650-7 engines, running on 100 or 150 grade fuel depending on the aircraft in question.

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Outstanding ! Have the Sky Unlimited series but these look great ! Thank you so much on this neglected fighter. A very important US fighter that changed the air war in WW II. Thanks for all the time and work put into these. Regards,Scott

SOH-CM-2020

Eureka

Drooooool!

I just happened to be re-reading the book Dogfight by Tony Holmes https://www.amazon.com/Dogfight-Grea.../dp/0785830286 this morning and ran across a section talking about the P-51 production transitions through the different models.

First flight of the XP-78/XP-51B test aircraft for trial fitting of the Packard Merlin in the North American Mustang airframe was on 30 Nov 42. Full scale production began 12 month later. When they reached the field they frequently suffered from coolant loss and oil leaks, and the oxygen system had difficulty coping with the 4-5 hour long range missions over Europe. They also had chronic gun stoppages due to the thin laminar flow wings requiring the guns to be mounted at a 30 degree angle. Firing while maneuvering at anything over 1.5g would bring them to a permanent halt with the rounds failing to eject from the belt. Electric belt drive motors (borrowed from the B-26) were tried as a field expedient, but this issue was not entirely resolved until the introduction of the D model with it thicker wings allowing the guns to be installed fully upright (like the P-47). Introduction in early 1944 of the Malcom hoods for the B/C models helped improve the rear visibility handicap until the D models started arriving in mid-1944.

1,988 B models were produced in Inglewood, CA, and 1,750 C models were made in Dallas, TX.

p.s. I originally bought this book when I was working on the dynamic gunsight reticles. The B/C models had a 70 mm reticle sight, and the D models introduced the K-14 100 mm reticle sight allowing for much easier range estimation and deflection shooting. This difference does not appear to be accurately represented in the different CFS3 models I have installed.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Which simulator is this ? Have use some filters on this pictures ......is soooooooo beautyful.

Nice looking skins Rene! Seems like you're really coming into your own as a painter these days!

Quote Originally Posted by hunter View Post
    Which simulator is this ? Have use some filters on this pictures ......is soooooooo beautyful.
    No filters here... Johnno_UK's scenery, Aris WOFF clouds, skins by me, and that's about it. The old CFS3 is looking pretty good nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    Nice looking skins Rene! Seems like you're really coming into your own as a painter these days!
    Well it really took some time, huh? While the Bf 109F set was basically all John's work with me just arranging pieces of multiple skins into a new order these are all original. Lots of tips from Nigel and some details borrowed from his skins but otherwise I began from a blank 2048x2048 and ended up with these.

Please , link to download WOFF clouds ?

Great looking repaints!

Cees

Blog Entries
    Here's a link to WOFF. http://www.overflandersfields.com/index.html Worth every penny. A great air combat sim if you are into WW I . Regards,Scott

Very nice job Rene!
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

Very well done! Will be happy to have these in my collection!

Quote Originally Posted by sixstrings5859 View Post
    Here's a link to WOFF. http://www.overflandersfields.com/index.html Worth every penny. A great air combat sim if you are into WW I . Regards,Scott
    Hate paper planes.....Thank you , Scott

Blog Entries
    Do these P-51's have the stock flight model or are they improved? The stock P-51's handle terrible. If they are completely stock can't i use the config. and air files from a 1% P-51B in place of the originals ? Cheers,Scott

Completely new based on the 4.00 series P-51D, with the subtle differences of the B/C model taken into account. Four different engines too.

Blog Entries
    Great news ! Thank you for clearing that up. Looking forward to them! Regards,Scott

Every aircraft I release comes with a revised flight model, back when AvHistory was still active I was given a personal permission to use their work, particularly the 4.00 series. Even the Bf 109Fs had new ones because their originals left a bit to be desired in engine and performance accuracy. And the same applies to everything Nigel makes as I've done most of his flight models since 2010.

Blog Entries
    That is good that you can do that. How a aircraft performs is very important to this sim. I get a lot of flak on other sites with people saying CFS3 isn't accurate enough. They just don't know or are closed minded.IL-2 '46 isn't perfect and i get tired of the CFS3 bashing. Most of the newer aircraft fly pretty well spot on thanks to AvHistory and people like you. Just my opinion because i never flew a real aircraft before.Thanks for updating the flight models on these P-51's. Regards,Scott

Aaaand it's gone up. If something went wrong I'm blaming Friday the 13th without any doubts.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=81&id=25781

Quote Originally Posted by sixstrings5859 View Post
    That is good that you can do that. How a aircraft performs is very important to this sim. I get a lot of flak on other sites with people saying CFS3 isn't accurate enough. They just don't know or are closed minded.
    CFS3 is uncannily accurate considering its age as long as you've got the flight model data right. I've seen it happen with the Bf 109G/K as well as the Spitfire/Seafire... get one model fine tuned to match real world figures, change the power and weight to match a different version if nothing else was changed in real life either, and the performance will fall right into place with no other adjustments. But it's perhaps not such a surprise as there's still the seriously good Flight Simulator series physics engine underneath, something that usually gets forgotten.

Now, if the flight model isn't up to any standards, that's not exactly the fault of the simulator. Fortunately those days are left behind now but looking back at some of the early add-ons it's easy to see where some of the criticism came from.

Blog Entries
    Got them installed in my ETO expansion and tested for a while. They are great! Thank you.The sounds are wonderfully done and love the flight models.It is hard to dog fight without tracers for me. Use to them in CFS3 and IL-2'46 and don't know how to do a deflection shot without tracers.The new Bf-109F has at least machine gun tracers to go by. Hahaha! Excellent job done on these. Have the Sky Unlimited P-51 series but these are my new favorites. A challenge to fight with and fun. Regards,Scott

Thanks! Easy install and the planes look as good as stock models can. Nice job.

The painted on white sidewalls are a nice bit of historic realism.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Blog Entries
    Greycap.raf, you are turning into a skinning/modding guru ! Really enjoying your work. Excellent !

Blog Entries
    Thanks to Rene,Nigel and Lawdog2360 for all the work,time and effort put into these. Regards,Scott

Members who have read this thread: 2