Stock P-51B/C overhaul, northern Europe - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stock P-51B/C overhaul, northern Europe

Here's a normal map file of the panel lines and rivets. You can use it for any of the models in this package, by making a copy and renaming the first part of the name to match the specific _t.dd file name in the aircraft's texture folder. P-51B_NM_File.zip
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorMagee View Post
    The lower row has also had the m3d edited to enable AnKor's specular reflections, and again the one on the left is without a normal map and the one on the right has one. [...] The effect is a bit more pronounced when the specular shading is turned on.
    I'll make it clear right now: I'm irritated. And far from polite in what you're about to read.

You have some nerve to downplay my work and call the specularity in your pictures "turned on" when it was you who turned it off in the shaders package in the first place. The default settings for EnvReflection and Glossiness as originally made by AnKor are 5 and 5 respectively, but when you edited them to your preferences before uploading the package you changed them to 5 and 1 and as a result most models lost their shine. Everyone has suffered from it ever since while you've been showing off editing models to "enable specular reflections". Drop these models into an install running in Windows XP or one that has the shaders tuned properly and you'll see that there's plenty of specularity on them.

In case you haven't noticed, there's a line that says "Not for redistribution or inclusion in any package in any shape or form, whole or in parts, without the express permission of all concerned." in the readme. Neither me or Nigel received any word about using my texture - those aren't stock MS panel lines you're looking at.

I'm not exactly happy with you using my work without any permission, nor acting like you've made the models better when in reality you've only fixed the issue you've caused yourself.

I'm sorry! I'm really, really sorry! If I could still edit the earlier posting I'd delete it. The nm file was hand drawn from scratch, but admittedly it was based on matching up with the textures you provided, and I should not have posted it here. Perhaps an admin can delete it for me.

As far as the parameters in the AnKor distribution packages I've tried to make it clear that the parameters are a starting point based on my system (Win 10), and provided documentation on how to customize them to best work with each person's system. I understand that most users are not all that interested in taking the time for customization, so I settled on somewhat neutral values to avoid having too many aircraft looking museum polished instead of battle weary. Perhaps that was a mistake.

The turning on of specular reflections I referred to is the same function that produces glint on the transparencies. It shifts the shading from being solely based on the shading of the texture files to also being based on the shape of the 3d model. It produces an enhanced feeling of 3D, and accounts for the direction of the light source relative to the orientation of the surface normal in real time rather than being static.

I was in no way intending to diminish the outstanding work you've done to publish these, and I pray that the community recognizes and appreciates that.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

wow, downloadibg no, thank you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www3.telus.net/murrdaka/

(the quotes have been reorganized a bit)

I'm sorry! I'm really, really sorry! If I could still edit the earlier posting I'd delete it. The nm file was hand drawn from scratch, but admittedly it was based on matching up with the textures you provided, and I should not have posted it here. Perhaps an admin can delete it for me.

I was in no way intending to diminish the outstanding work you've done to publish these, and I pray that the community recognizes and appreciates that.
    I appreciate your attitude. The problem wasn't you making that file, it was you not asking me first in spite of there being a direct instruction in the readme - as you probably understand, I want to see what is being done about my work before it goes to the public. The file is good, it works as intended, let it be. The next time you want to do such a thing for my work, ask me first, I guarantee you won't have much trouble getting that permission. Ask early enough in the process and I may even give you the panel lines to begin with. We're all working towards a better CFS3 but let's all do according to the original file authors' wishes, after all it's nearly always just a matter of asking.

As far as the parameters in the AnKor distribution packages I've tried to make it clear that the parameters are a starting point based on my system (Win 10), and provided documentation on how to customize them to best work with each person's system. I understand that most users are not all that interested in taking the time for customization, so I settled on somewhat neutral values to avoid having too many aircraft looking museum polished instead of battle weary. Perhaps that was a mistake.
    I fully agree with the bolded part and that's why the quite conservative settings may be a bit of a problem. CFS3 is extremely adjustable in so many areas but I have a feeling that most people just use default settings for many of them and thus are lacking out on a lot of nice things.

Back in the day when I still had Windows XP in full working order I tested them back to back, XP with no shaders, ie. the way it was arguably meant to look, and W7 with the shaders. The closest match was EnvReflection=5 and Glossiness=3, also some time ago I had a short conversation with AnKor and he used as high as EnvReflection=9 and Glossiness=3. Not sure if I agree with the extremely high EnvReflection value but it might be worth a shot to bump the Glossiness up to 2 or 3 in a future release of the shaders to get the default looks closer to what the _s textures were originally intended to work with. The default 5 is too high though, no doubt about that. My screenshots in the first post use 5/3 and there's already plenty of shine.

Speaking of shine, some people may wonder why I didn't use the metal reflectivity for the bare metal models. The answer is simple - I didn't want to. First because it kills the possibility to have properly controlled shine for the painted parts and second because the P-51 wasn't as bare metal anyway as many people probably think, the wings were almost entirely puttied and sanded, then painted in aluminium lacquer. I chose the "worn old aluminium frying pan" looks as it's probably also more accurate for hard working war machines, they weren't polished continuously like today's airshow stars.

Quote Originally Posted by greycap.raf View Post
    (the quotes have been reorganized a bit)

the P-51 wasn't as bare metal anyway as many people probably think, the wings were almost entirely puttied and sanded, then painted in aluminium lacquer..
    That's an interesting piece of information. I have always thought that they painted the museum aircraft because the natural metal had become marred and discolored. But that's how they were finished at the factory?

Quote Originally Posted by swpierce View Post
    That's an interesting piece of information. I have always thought that they painted the museum aircraft because the natural metal had become marred and discolored. But that's how they were finished at the factory?
    Yep. The fuselage is natural metal but the wings are nearly completely filled, sanded and painted.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hype...s-t497186.html

And just to make it even more exciting, Australian CAC-made CA-17 and -18 Mustang Mks 20, 21, 22 and 23 were fully painted, wings and fuselage, with aluminium lacquer, as were many US-built RAF and RCAF examples.

The CA-18 Mk.23 is actually one we should do, as it uses a real Rolls-Royce Merlin 66 or 70, rather than the Packard Merlin 266 used in most Mustang IVs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    That would be exciting ! A awesome addition it would be !

SOH-CM-2020
    ....(last bit of the thread)

Hi MajorMagee, for my 2c worth you guys are both legends (yourself and greycap.raf), and I really appreciate your enormous contributions. What Greycap.raf said could just as easily apply to me with my scrambled brain, a reminder to carefully check readmes when I do my constant tinkering.

salute,

David

Holy thread revival Batman... but I have new things for you all to play with.

As the stock wing pylons for the P-51D were beyond hopeless I made new ones for it but unfortunately they wouldn't fit the B/C as the nodes on the model are in completely different places. I still have a soft spot for the B/C and wanted to keep it on a similar quality level, thus, new pylons for it too. This is how it should have been from the beginning.

XDP editing skills needed. Two colour versions for different coloured aircraft. See the attachment.

Blog Entries
    Thanks ! Easy to install ,just a lot of aircraft. LoL ! Really nice to have and all the hard work is done. Regards,Scott

Another try with the attachment mentioned above. Something had gone wrong with the upload.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Cheers Rene, top notch as usual!
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

Just finished doing all the editing of the xdps, the drop tanks are a great little add-on for those of us detail lovers and as for the P-51B/C overhaul package WOW , not sure how I missed this thread before thanks greycap.raf

Mick

One more addition to this. Some time ago I was asked to make a couple of RAF Mustang IIIs for a campaign David was putting together, I had planned to give them to him to be included in the package but sadly that was not to happen. They're now being released as a separate set in remembrance of him, available when the admins approve the upload.

Mustang III, 65sqn RAF

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 3 British Aircraft

Description: Upgrade of the stock P-51B.

Credits:

Model by Microsoft, updated by Rene Leppä

Flight Model by gregoryp of AvHistory (P-51D-30) modified to reflect the Mustang Mk III by Rene Leppä

Skins by Rene Leppä

Pylons by Rene Leppä

75 gallon drop tanks by jaycee, repainted by Rene Leppä

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Mustang III, 65sqn RAF
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Blog Entries
    Love it ! Fantastic work ! Regards,Scott

Blog Entries
    I think these Mustangs,(Mustang upgrade package), Rene has done are the best, and well thought out, for CFS3 there is. If you don't have them ,they are a must have. Enjoy them immensely ! Thanks for all the research and hard work ! Regards,Scott

Members who have read this thread: 2