AI ground attack

Thread: AI ground attack

andqui

AI ground attack

What criteria do the AI have for disengaging from ground targets?
    In all of the ground attack missions, be it baloon busting, airfield, railyard, anything, that the AI have successfully found and attacked, they won't leave.

Ground attack should be "make one or two passes and drop whatever ordinance you have". However, as far as I can see, the AI don't, and keep making runs after dropping their bombs or rockets or whatever until they all get shot down. I don't think I've seen the AI disengage from a ground target on their own once.

Part of the problem is that it's next to impossible to "destroy" anything with two light machine-guns, and I think that's what the game uses for it's criteria. All too often, my wingmen have taken down an observation balloon, but not everything there. I still see the label "spotter", and there's a bunch of crates and MG's. The AI then still think the balloon's there and keep strafing until the die. In the ground attack missions I've flown where I am not the leader, I'm usually the only one that makes it out.

Any thoughts? Comments? Advice? When I'm sqdn leader I can hit rejoin and they'll come back, but if I'm not there's nothing I can do but watch them kill themselves.

Siggi
    There are a number of issues associated with being a subordinate. The only solution is to always go lead, and encompass that with a bit of imagination (go officer and imagine new personnel in such short supply that you're given a flight immediately upon being posted).

andqui
    so your suggestion is to go lead when I have a ground attack mission?

that sounds reasonable. It would be nice to see some of these worked out, though

Mk2
    I always set it to "always lead" and start with the rank of Captian for the Yanks so it seems realistically possible for me to have my own flight.

I get in, get the balloon or strafe the target and get out...we form up they follow me back home.

Winder
    Yes we are looking into this for V1.3

HTH

WM

Members who have read this thread: 0