Ok I knew I wouldn't be popular but come on now.

Thread: Ok I knew I wouldn't be popular but come on now.

ftgc

Ok I knew I wouldn't be popular but come on now.

Well I decided to try some late war, so I started a pilot flying for Jasta 8 in mid 1918 flying D-VIIs. First flight was a patrol behind enemy lines. All was quiet until we started for home and encountered a flight of about 5-6 Spad XIIIs. Ordered the attack and singled one out. Shot him down and looked around for the rest of my flight. Say one of my guys having a hard time with one of the Spads. Dove in and got the Spad off his tail and started shooting up the Spad. Now the flight member I just saved starts after the Spad I'm now shooting up shooting over my shoulder and damn if he doesn't shoot my plane to pieces!!! :faint: Now I knew I wouldn't be popular as the new guy leading a flight but did they have to shoot me down?

Scott

Winder
    Quote Originally Posted by ftgc View Post
    Well I decided to try some late war, so I started a pilot flying for Jasta 8 in mid 1918 flying D-VIIs. First flight was a patrol behind enemy lines. All was quiet until we started for home and encountered a flight of about 5-6 Spad XIIIs. Ordered the attack and singled one out. Shot him down and looked around for the rest of my flight. Say one of my guys having a hard time with one of the Spads. Dove in and got the Spad off his tail and started shooting up the Spad. Now the flight member I just saved starts after the Spad I'm now shooting up shooting over my shoulder and damn if he doesn't shoot my plane to pieces!!! :faint: Now I knew I wouldn't be popular as the new guy leading a flight but did they have to shoot me down?

Scott
    Yeah be aware AI already committed to shooting a target become target fixated lol .....

The AI will not, or seldom, select a target that you are already engaged with but if you happen to get onto a Target that an AI has been waiting to get close enough and lined up to (IOW one he has selected already) he wont break as you are no longer considered 'allowed to take his target'.
    Whilst he is not shooting at you, you can and will most likely get into his line of fire as you found out.

Now here are the solutions that work for me!:

1) Use the command Rejoin! and Attack My Target! (as selected in the situation awareness display) to control the AI. Consider this as hand signals...(although feels a bit gamey to me)

or

2) Become more aware of what your squad is doing and select enemy craft that are loners i.e seemingly not being attacked by your wingies.
    And or select craft that are attacking your wingies only - be the real leader.

But always

3) Check 6!!!!

I do a mixture of 1 and 2 and always 3!

HTH

WM

ftgc
    Quote Originally Posted by Winder View Post
    Yeah be aware AI already committed to shooting a target become target fixated lol .....

The AI will not, or seldom, select a target that you are already engaged with but if you happen to get onto a Target that and AI has been waiting to get close enough and lined up to (IOW one he has selected already) he wont break as you are no longer considered 'allowed to take his target'.
    Whilst he is not shooting at you, you can and will most likely get into his line of fire as you found out.

Now here are the solutions that work for me!:

1) Use the command Rejoin! and Attack My Target! (as selected in the situation awareness display) to control the AI. Consider this as hand signals...(although feels a bit gamey to me)

or

2) Become more aware of what your squad is doing and select enemy craft that are loners i.e seemingly not being attacked by your wingies.
    And or select craft that are attacking your wingies only - be the real leader.

But always

3) Check 6!!!!

HTH

WM
    Thanks Winder,

Never thought to use the reform command. Just had another flight and we attacked a flight of 3 Spads, then another squad of D-VIIs jumped in and it was absolute bedlam. I spent more time dodging other Fokkers and several times I almost hosed down a friendly because he took after a Spad I was fighting and flew in front of me. It got so nuts I just flew close and watched as 3 D-VIIs tore into one Spad. At one time they were all three shooting at it and just shreaded it. It was wild, it was crazy, it was great. On top of it all it was one of those overcast rainy days but the rain had stopped and the sun was peaking out of the clouds, making all those neat light on one side dark on the other scenes. Man what a time not to be able to run FRAPS.

Scott

Bullethead
    Quote Originally Posted by Winder View Post
    There's also #4: shoot your wingmen down before they can do that to you . When my pilot gets out of the hospital this time, he's going to frag Capt. Matt Harrity as soon as we're out of sight of the airfield. That bastid's got it coming! :caked:

Hey, ftgc
    If you like it quieter and want your OWN target (with a cup of tea and a nice crumpet to it - Lol!), enter Jasta 5 or 11 in 1916, as early as you can get the Albatros D II. Much quieter.
    And when you want your wings out of the way, press "R" (return) several times. Sometimes they really come back and let you have the last target.
    Sometimes not - pretending not to have seen your waving arm, those b*****s!