Going...Going....GONE!

Thread: Going...Going....GONE!

UK_Widowmaker

Going...Going....GONE!

I have found Irfanview does this rather too much!..possibly 3 out of 10 shots result in this!...hmmm
    (amusing at times though!)....... The flying seat is a new version of the 'Stealth Pfaltz!'...Tommies Beware!!!

Mk2
    Quote Originally Posted by UK_Widowmaker View Post
    I have found Irfanview does this rather too much!..possibly 3 out of 10 shots result in this!...hmmm
    (amusing at times though!)....... The flying seat is a new version of the 'Stealth Pfaltz!'...Tommies Beware!!!
    So does screenshot utility, it's how the frames are being rendered I guess and the snapsot catches it at the right moment.

Winder
    Use the CFS3 screenshot button!

HTH

WM

UK_Widowmaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Winder View Post
    Use the CFS3 screenshot button!

HTH

WM
    Ah!...good idea!.....lol

Stonewall
    Hey Widowmaker....Where did u get that skin mate????

UK_Widowmaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    Hey Widowmaker....Where did u get that skin mate????
    I made it :ernae:

Duce Lewis
    I made it :ernae:
    Really slick job there UK!

Catfish
    Hello UK_Widowmaker,
    well, this skin, what can i say, would you, i mean, i like it !
    I made such a skin for RedBaron3d, with a shark mouth for my Halberstadt D.II, but i am a total numb in OFF when it comes to skinning - too much overlays ..
    Greetings,
    Catfish

UK_Widowmaker
    Thanks Chaps!...I just put the decals on to be fair!...But I downloaded some Lozenge Camo, and reskinned a DR1 earlier, which turned out nice!

I am obsessed with this Skinning!...Who knows..one day the off team might let me skin a tail drag for them?..hahaha....maybe in phase 34!!

rabu
    Scary fish with big teeth!

Rooster89
    Thanks Chaps!...I just put the decals on to be fair!...But I downloaded some Lozenge Camo, and reskinned a DR1 earlier, which turned out nice!

I am obsessed with this Skinning!...Who knows..one day the off team might let me skin a tail drag for them?..hahaha....maybe in phase 34!!
    Where'd you get the camo from Widowmaker? I think I'd like to have a go at messin with that in my skins. I tried making it one patch at a time once but it turned out terrible. lol

-Rooster

UK_Widowmaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster89 View Post
    Where'd you get the camo from Widowmaker? I think I'd like to have a go at messin with that in my skins. I tried making it one patch at a time once but it turned out terrible. lol

-Rooster
    Hi Rooster...I just 'googled images' for "Lozenge Camo"....found three or Four various ones (downloaded the Jpegs) they are mainly examples for model aeroplanes, but can be used for skinning at a pinch.

This was my first attempt..just trying different styles and blending

Or of course (what I just thought of) you could make a copy of a lozenge skin from an OFF aircraft...then cut /crop it to a new file, and save it?

Hi, CATFISH
    To get on simple with skinning, you could get "DXTBmp" (freeware).
    With that, you can browse through the skins, pick one you'd like to work on, and convert it into 24 bit bitmap.
    Then you have a plain bmp with no layers, that's easy to work on with Photoshop.
    If you want to do a plane with black, red, and white parts (for example), you could browse for skins in those colours, then cut the parts out and put them into the basic skin.
    When it's all done, you save it with an own name at the end, open it with DXTBmp, and convert it back to .dds format.
    Throw that into Campaign > Campaign data > skins - and ready!
    Have fun!
    Olham

UK_Widowmaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Olham54 View Post
    Hi, CATFISH
    To get on simple with skinning, you could get "DXTBmp" (freeware).
    With that, you can browse through the skins, pick one you'd like to work on, and convert it into 24 bit bitmap.
    Then you have a plain bmp with no layers, that's easy to work on with Photoshop.
    If you want to do a plane with black, red, and white parts (for example), you could browse for skins in those colours, then cut the parts out and put them into the basic skin.
    When it's all done, you save it with an own name at the end, open it with DXTBmp, and convert it back to .dds format.
    Throw that into Campaign > Campaign data > skins - and ready!
    Have fun!
    Olham
    Don't know if I am missing a trick here Olham..but on a personal level, I don't see the advantage of using DXTBmp.

I have converted a DDS to BMP with the program, and opened it in Photoshop.... but it doesn't appear to give any benefits.....As when I load a DDS into photoshop, and convert it to work on...then save it as a DDS with the Nvidia plugin for photoshop

It's still a locked / Merged file...So using DXTBmp just appears to be an added chore?

You can work on the BMP file, when you unlock it. That is to be done in the "layer" section, or how it's called in Old Blighty (here "Ebenen").
    You see the layer with a lock at the right. Now you double-click on the layer, and the program asks you, if to convert it into a working layer. You click "ok", and there you go!

UK_Widowmaker
    You can work on the BMP file, when you unlock it. That is to be done in the "layer" section, or how it's called in Old Blighty (here "Ebenen").
    You see the layer with a lock at the right. Now you double-click on the layer, and the program asks you, if to convert it into a working layer. You click "ok", and there you go!
    hi Olham,

Yes, I understand that bit...but in Photoshop..I cannot see why working in BMP rather than DDS makes very much difference?

Don't know - haven't tried dds in Photoshop. You need a plug-in, you say? And can you work on the various layers then? That could be interesting!
    Or is it just another one-layer-file?
    I had thought, Photoshop couldn't open dds files. Must check that...

UK_Widowmaker
    Don't know - haven't tried dds in Photoshop. You need a plug-in, you say? And can you work on the various layers then? That could be interesting!
    Or is it just another one-layer-file?
    I had thought, Photoshop couldn't open dds files. Must check that...
    Sadly, just another one layer app (but it does give a few more options I think)

here's the link

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/p...s_plugins.html

UK_Widowmaker
    Hmmm...What IS interesting though...on that page there is a link to Nvidia 'CUDA'....which looks to be a free addon!...with a lot of options!..am downloading it, to see what it's capable of!

Okay, keep me informed please! Perhaps, when you can get on the various layers, it's much more fun/possibilities?

UK_Widowmaker
    yeah..well, I checked out 'CUDA'...fascinating stuff (more useful to you in your line of work I suspect?)...Some really neat things...the volumetric smoke was stunning!!....But all way over my head!!!

Rooster89
    Thanks Widowmaker. I didnt think of just taking lozenge from other skins. (duh). It was late and I had a long day when I posted that. Maybe I should have a few cups of coffee before I hop on the forum. lol

-Rooster

UK_Widowmaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster89 View Post
    Thanks Widowmaker. I didnt think of just taking lozenge from other skins. (duh). It was late and I had a long day when I posted that. Maybe I should have a few cups of coffee before I hop on the forum. lol

-Rooster
    Know the feeling only too well Rooster!

Happy Skinning :ernae:

Hey, Widowmaker
    Have you found a way yet, to get to the layers?
    Cause, if not, the bitmap way isn't bad - you have only one layer, but many things can be done with Photoshop.
    I often compile the desired skin from several others. When I want basics of skin A, but the Lozenge wings of skin B, I cut them out and insert them in the other.
    Today I must start a new pilot - died yesterday in a midair collision with a Bristol Scout (that's from the left hand driving! Lol!)

UK_Widowmaker
    Hey, Widowmaker
    Have you found a way yet, to get to the layers?
    Cause, if not, the bitmap way isn't bad - you have only one layer, but many things can be done with Photoshop.
    I often compile the desired skin from several others. When I want basics of skin A, but the Lozenge wings of skin B, I cut them out and insert them in the other.
    Today I must start a new pilot - died yesterday in a midair collision with a Bristol Scout (that's from the left hand driving! Lol!)
    Hi Olham,

Yes, that's pretty much the way I have been doing it...I guess the secret is in the Blending etc..... The only problem is, if you are trying to put a light skin on a darker background, you have a trade off between allowing details such as wing spa's...and not having the underpinned dark colour showing through.

Unless the OFF boys some day release their originals (in a similar way to the Void skins in IL2) we will be a bit restricted...(and one can hardly blame them for not wanting to do that!)

But my results so far have been pleasing enough to my un-trained eye!....and I am enjoying myself enormously...So, that's the main thing eh?

Those Bristol Scouts are best avoided when a collision is imminent! (ouch)

Members who have read this thread: 0