Game freezing - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Game freezing

Mk2
    Quote Originally Posted by bogaty View Post
    Well, I disabled onboard sound, shut down anti virus, and dialled the sliders back to 2 and it locked up 3 times in a row. Getting very frustrated with this purchase now.

Bogaty I know your frsutrated but it's not the game. It's the PC your using.

Did you try scaling back sound hardware acceleration in your OS?

Also do you have other games installed and are there any problems related to them.

BTW adding to what Winder just said (from the exception error):

0xC0000005 - Resolution Suggestion One:
    In many cases this error has been generated by faulty RAM memory. So if you have just upgraded your computer with some new memory and you started getting this error then I would remove them and see if the error goes away. If it does then send the memory back and get a refund!

grumpybear007
    Did you update CFS3 and run it? Just a thought.

From my own experence, check and make sure your ram is nice and tight. My #4 slot wasnt holding my ram stick and had to put a little, little piece of tape on the end.
    GB

bogaty
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk2 View Post
    Bogaty I know your frsutrated but it's not the game. It's the PC your using.

Did you try scaling back sound hardware acceleration in your OS?
    Yes.

Also do you have other games installed and are there any problems related to them.
    Only other problem I'm having is with IL-2 in OpenGL mode but that's been identified as a problem with Cat 9.1 and 9.2 drivers with the 4870 card I have. All other games work fine.

Siggi
    Many mobos have problems running with all four RAM slots populated. And many 32-bit OS have problems running stable with more than 2gb of RAM, however it's distributed (X2 2gb or x4 1gb).

When in doubt, or having probs, have 1gb in each of two slots. If still having probs swap those sticks around, to test the sticks and the slots. I've lost count of how many rigs I've sorted out with that procedure.

rabu

Quote Originally Posted by Siggi View Post
    Many mobos have problems running with all four RAM slots populated. And many 32-bit OS have problems running stable with more than 2gb of RAM, however it's distributed (X2 2gb or x4 1gb).

When in doubt, or having probs, have 1gb in each of two slots. If still having probs swap those sticks around, to test the sticks and the slots. I've lost count of how many rigs I've sorted out with that procedure.
    Thanks Siggi, I had never heard that before, good to know, as I have been thinking of adding two more banks to my 2GB to get 4GB, but will reconsider that idea completely now. I wonder if XP Pro has problems with more then 2GB?

Over50
    Quote Originally Posted by rabu View Post
    Thanks Siggi, I had never heard that before, good to know, as I have been thinking of adding two more banks to my 2GB to get 4GB, but will reconsider that idea completely now. I wonder if XP Pro has problems with more then 2GB?
    Just to comment, while acknowleding XP 32 bit can't recognize the full 4 GB of RAM I have installed, what I do have is (2) 2GB sticks occupying 2 slots and I've never experienced RAM related issues in games or other applications.

rabu
    OK, thanks Over50, what brand are yours? I've got 2 GB of Patriot Extreme DDR2 800 PC26400 that I installed when I built it.

bogaty
    OK, I pulled out my RAM and basically fiddled with each of the sticks. Tried booting and running things with just 2GB and tried swapping the sticks around. They're fine. Checked to see that everything else was seated properly, cleared out the dust bunnies and whatnot.

The game still freezes up.

I think I might try a system restore next.

Over50
    Quote Originally Posted by rabu View Post
    OK, thanks Over50, what brand are yours? I've got 2 GB of Patriot Extreme DDR2 800 PC26400 that I installed when I built it.
    It's an off the wall brand (Transend Information) PC2-6400 800 MHz DDR2. I'm not into memory timing modding so opted for the cheap(er) stuff. Again, from Crysis to CoD4 and 5 to Medal of Honor:Airborne to my flight sims (FSX, IL2 series up through Pacific Fighters, OFF 3) and I've had zero memory issues ... that I know of. Yeah, I've had a few random crashes in various games at times but nothing of a repetitive/consistent nature.

FWIW the mem is 5-5-5-18 @ 1.8v if that's of interest to you.

bogaty
    GOD DAMN IT!! I hate Vista.

I uninstalled CFS3 and OFF, did a system restore and reinstalled the games. Good news, in XP compatability mode, I haven't encountered any lockups yet. Bad news, .wmv videos no longer play.

Well, that's not entirely true. It took a bit of rebooting to figure out what was going on. When I boot up my machine, .wmv videos won't play with WMP11, but I can still hear sounds. However, if I run a video through VideoLAN, then WMP!! will play the videos as well.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling codecs, but the problem persists.

BOGATY SMASH!!!!
    :angryfir:

Winder
    GOD DAMN IT!! I hate Vista.

I uninstalled CFS3 and OFF, did a system restore and reinstalled the games. Good news, in XP compatability mode, I haven't encountered any lockups yet. Bad news, .wmv videos no longer play.

Well, that's not entirely true. It took a bit of rebooting to figure out what was going on. When I boot up my machine, .wmv videos won't play with WMP11, but I can still hear sounds. However, if I run a video through VideoLAN, then WMP!! will play the videos as well.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling codecs, but the problem persists.

BOGATY SMASH!!!!
    :angryfir:
    Well it one big step forward!

Yes I hate Vista too and only run it on another PC for OFF compatibility tests as its really a pain to work with - XP is fine until we see what 7 looks like.

Why not install the latest MS Window media player in its entirety from MS?

HTH

WM

Mk2
    Download the latest DivX codec and that should cure your video problem in XP mode, just do a google search for them and it should work.

bogaty
    It's not just in OFF, it's for every .wmv video. Unless I play it in VideoLAN first, WMP 11 won't play it.

Mk2
    It's not just in OFF, it's for every .wmv video. Unless I play it in VideoLAN first, WMP 11 won't play it.

yes please try what I say...problem should be fixed. either that or download video codec for vista pack. It should work, happened to me in Vista AND XP. It's a simple missing codec.

bogaty
    I have already uninstalled and reinstalled Vista Codc pack 1.53, X64 1.69 and K-lite packs. Still doesn't work.

Polovski
    Vista 64 has two media players, one 32 bit one 64 bit. quick google...

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/0...64-as-default/

bogaty
    Followed the procedures to switch from 32 bit default to 64 bit default, but still get the same results. No video until I run one through VideoLAN first.

Bloody bizarre. I've uninstalled all codecs, swept the registry with two different cleaners, and run somethign called Codec Tweak which is supposed to find and eliminate conflicts. Still can't fix it.

Mk2
    Followed the procedures to switch from 32 bit default to 64 bit default, but still get the same results. No video until I run one through VideoLAN first.

Bloody bizarre. I've uninstalled all codecs, swept the registry with two different cleaners, and run somethign called Codec Tweak which is supposed to find and eliminate conflicts. Still can't fix it.

Bogaty can you try one more thing I suggest? Download a free version of Divx and install it...then try the videos (in what you usually see them with).

I'm almost certain it's a codec, if the Divx install does not work (brings it's own codec that solves issues in other players as well) then I'll be at a lost.

bogaty
    I tried DivX, but as I suspected, it didn't help. I don't see how DivX would be able to help as I was already able to view .avi and .mkv videos. It is only .wmv videos that will not play properly.

Thanks for trying to help though.

Mk2
    I tried DivX, but as I suspected, it didn't help. I don't see how DivX would be able to help as I was already able to view .avi and .mkv videos. It is only .wmv videos that will not play properly.

Thanks for trying to help though.
    Ok then try this (missed that it was only .wmv...sorry) :

In media player click tools/options/performance/advanced, then under "Video Acceleration" uncheck the box that says "use video mixing renderer"

bogaty
    No such option exists in windows media player. There is an option to turn off hardware acceleration. I had read on other forums that turning off Hardware acceleration might help in issues where one could hear audio but not see video so I had already tried it. It didn't help in my case.

After having installed and then uninstalled DivX, I seem to have screwed up the audio for my movies now as well. Great....

EDIT: Couple more uninstalls and reinstalls of this vista codec packs have fixed the sound issue, but I still can't get the buggery WMP11 to play .wmv videos until I run them through something else. I'm at a loss.

Mk2
    No such option exists in windows media player. There is an option to turn off hardware acceleration. I had read on other forums that turning off Hardware acceleration might help in issues where one could hear audio but not see video so I had already tried it. It didn't help in my case.

After having installed and then uninstalled DivX, I seem to have screwed up the audio for my movies now as well. Great....

EDIT: Couple more uninstalls and reinstalls of this vista codec packs have fixed the sound issue, but I still can't get the buggery WMP11 to play .wmv videos until I run them through something else. I'm at a loss.

Here is a pic of my WM11 pointing to DVD but same options exsist under video acceleration in section above the red arrow(tools, options, performance then advanced under video acceleration section, then uncheck box under video and test) , the fix I suggest is found in a knowledge base i just looked up for anyone having trouble playing there .wmv files with WMP

bogaty
    Thanks. Mine has no such option. Are you running under Vista 64 bit as well?

Mk2
    I am not running vista 64 but it's mind boggling that microsoft makes everything so difficult..I assumed (incorrectly) the same GUI interface for WMP 11 no matter where it is installed (sigh).

I don't have ATI cards but see if you can open the ATI graphics card task bar icon or and find a video tab.

If you find it , Make sure the "use application settings" check box is checked. Then try the file again.

bogaty
    Yup, already set in ATI control panel.