Alternative Medal Bitmaps

Thread: Alternative Medal Bitmaps

Dej

Alternative Medal Bitmaps

As Siggi pointed out in another thread, the medal images for BHaH don't scale very well for higher resolutions and pixellate.

Rather than 'borrow' replacements from elsewhere I've created some alternatives in a larger size which scale much better at my monitoer resolution (1680x1050).

These are in no way sanctioned by the devs and if you want to replace the ones in ... Microsoft Games\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields\campaigns\CampaignData\Medals, be sure to back it up first (although these have given me no problems at all)

If I'm out of order posting this I apologise and will have the admins remove it, I just wanted my medals to look a little sharper. :d

Dej

Seconds Batch

The rest...

ns13jarhead
    Very nice work, Dej!:friday:How does one go about getting them?

Since none of my 50+ pilots have survived long enough to earn a medal, I have no idea what the ones in the sim look like. It looks as if you earn a different medal nearly each time instead of the "four Iron Crosses and a Blue Max" like in Phase 2.

Mk2
    Dej I need your permision to upload these to www.combatce.com when the section the OFF is available, you will get full credit.

Siggi
    Have you actually tested those Dej? I did my own too, but they come out squashed vertically.

Don't they also have to be .BMPs?

Edit: Tested one (saved it into the medals folder from Photoshop as a .BMP), worked fine.

Dej
    I have tested them and they don't squish at my res. They have the same proportions as the originals, just BIGGER.

The .jpg conversion must be a SOH thing because I uploaded them from .bmps.

I've zipped 'em up and put them here: http://files.filefront.com/13333901

Hell, I don't even know if I'm upsetting the applecart doing this.

Siggi
    Quote Originally Posted by Dej View Post
    I have tested them and they don't squish at my res. They have the same proportions as the originals, just BIGGER.

The .jpg conversion must be a SOH thing because I uploaded them from .bmps.

I've zipped 'em up and put them here: http://files.filefront.com/13333901

Hell, I don't even know if I'm upsetting the applecart doing this.
    Yes, I just tested one too, worked fine. Weird, because the ones I did I just doubled the size and the one I was awarded was squashed.

Dej
    To use these, download the zip file from Filefront and unzip them to ... Microsoft Games\CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields\campaigns\CampaignData\Medals. '...' being on whatever drive you have OFF:BHaH.

@MK2. Fine by me, as long as the devs don't object.

Rick Rawlings
    Wow, those are pretty sweet. I do have to say that the current medals take me all the way back to '92 and the original Red Baron. They are my link to the past with their blockyness. I...just don't know if I can let go!

BWAhhhhahhhahahh

RR

FenrisWlf

Just wanted to say thanks for those, they work good in my game.

quoth

Ditto

Q

Salute Dej,

Those are some very nice medals Sir, very nice indeed. And as someone who served as the virtual RAF 209 Squadron's Clerk of Commendations for three years, I know nice medals when I see them.

Lou

Bullethead
    I hope someday to live long enough to acquire some of these beautiful baubles. The only medals I every qualify for are Purple Hearts and Wound Badge in Gold, neither of which are on the list .

ns13jarhead
    You ought to add a Tiffany Cross (USMC/Navy WWI version of the US's Medal of Honor) for 2d Lt Ralph Talbot & GySgt Rob Robinson. It's a pretty interesting story how in their JN-4 "Jenny" they shot one enemy aircraft on two separate occasions after being attacked by 9 scouts on the first day and then 12 scouts on the second. On the secont flight, Robinson had his elbow shot off and was hit in the stomach and leg and bled until unconsciousness and Talbot was able to fight off the remaining attackers, cross the lines at an altitude of 50 ft and still was able to land near a field hospital to save his observer/gunner.

Dej
    Quote Originally Posted by ns13jarhead View Post
    You ought to add a Tiffany Cross (USMC/Navy WWI version of the US's Medal of Honor) for 2d Lt Ralph Talbot & GySgt Rob Robinson. It's a pretty interesting story how in their JN-4 "Jenny" they shot one enemy aircraft on two separate occasions after being attacked by 9 scouts on the first day and then 12 scouts on the second. On the secont flight, Robinson had his elbow shot off and was hit in the stomach and leg and bled until unconsciousness and Talbot was able to fight off the remaining attackers, cross the lines at an altitude of 50 ft and still was able to land near a field hospital to save his observer/gunner.
    Thanks Louvert and everyone.

I'm happy to make more medals if the code were there to utilise them. I was thinking while making the ones above that there is no UK DSC no US DFC and indeed no Navy MOH. They may not have been issued in WWI (haven't checked) but if they were I can certainly make graphics for them.

[EDIT] Just checked and the US DFC wasn't available before 11/11/1918. However, the list is missing the US DSM. UK is missing DSC, DFM, DCM and MM. France has all they need and Germany is missing about 35!! [/EDIT]

paarma
    Hi Dej,

Very good looking medals. We know that there could be more medals especially for germans.

Also we are making new bigger size versions of all medals, and probably more medals too, but it might need some change for code.

Cheers

Arto

Quote Originally Posted by Dej View Post
    Thanks Loubert and everyone.

I'm happy to make more medals if the code were there to utilise them. I was thinking while making the ones above that there is no UK DSC no US DFC and indeed no Navy MOH. They may not have been issued in WWI (haven't checked) but if they were I can certainly make graphics for them.

[EDIT] Just checked and the US DFC wasn't available before 11/11/1918. However, the list is missing the US DSM. UK is missing DSC, DFM, DCM and MM. France has all they need and Germany is missing about 35!! [/EDIT]

Dej wrote:

"Just checked and the US DFC wasn't available before 11/11/1918. However, the list is missing the US DSM. UK is missing DSC, DFM, DCM and MM."
    Dej, if you would like any assistance with the various WW1 medals don't hesitate to ask. I have done a fair amount of work and research with them over the last several years and have a rather large stock of images and what-not. You can see some of my efforts on the 209 Squadron's "Medals" page here:

RAF 209 Squadron Medals and Honours Page

If you click on any of the medal images you will be taken to another page with further info on that award.

Cheers,

Lou

Dej
    Quote Originally Posted by RAF_Louvert View Post
    Dej wrote:

Dej, if you would like any assistance with the various WW1 medals don't hesitate to ask. I have done a fair amount of work and research with them over the last several years and have a rather large stock of images and what-not. You can see some of my efforts on the 209 Squadron's "Medals" page here:

RAF 209 Squadron Medals and Honours Page

If you click on any of the medal images you will be taken to another page with further info on that award.

Cheers,

Lou
    Nice site Loubert and very nice graphics. Thanks for the offer, I think the OFF team might want to take you up on it if Paarma doesn't already have a large stock.

Hi Dej,

Very good looking medals. We know that there could be more medals especially for germans.

Also we are making new bigger size versions of all medals, and probably more medals too, but it might need some change for code.

Cheers

Arto
    Thanks Paarma. I had no doubt that you guys would already be working on improving the medals. I just jumped the gun a bit. Like Louvert, if there's anything I can do to help, I'd be delighted to.

paarma
    Thanks For offering me help. I will gladly ask you if we need some help.
    Very nice medals you have made too Loubert.