Australia terrain mesh upgrade?

Thread: Australia terrain mesh upgrade?

Australia terrain mesh upgrade?

Helping out a fellow flight simmer.....

I am looking for advice on upgrading the stock Australia terrain mesh. I'm talking about the overall continent of Australia, and not just specific airports, etc. Freeware and Payware are OK. Platform is FSX SE.

Thanks,

Tommy
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

SOH-CM-2022
    2 suggestions,
    Holgermesh freeware from Orbx is mesh specifically for Australia. https://orbxdirect.com/product/holgermesh-au

FreemeshX is a global mesh upgrade http://ninetwopro.com/

I use Holgermesh for Australia (because I have Orbx) and Freemesh for the rest of the world.

They both work well.

Gavin

I use fsglobal ultimate next gen for the whole planet and completely happy with its results as it also supported by orbx

I have it set at 1m and its incredible, ive tried the freemesh and it didnt leave a lasting impression

"""I use fsglobal ultimate next gen for the whole planet and completely happy with its results as it also supported by orbx"""

Sorry to contradict but Orbx doesn't support this excellent mesh with high resolution!
    Orbx products are based on "FS Pilots Global 2010 mesh" product and this is still supported.

Dieter
    Greetings
    Dieter
    Win10 Pro 64 bit - RAM 16GB -1 SSD 1TB - 3 SSD je 500GB - 1 HD 1TB/Intel(r) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU 4,2 GHz - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 - MSFS

The newer Fsglobal ultimate next gen ftx version does support orbx

The vector tool works flawlessly

But OrbX is still designed on the "FS Pilots Global 2010 mesh", and problems have been reported with the 2018 version. OrbX does not support it.
    The Pilots people claim compatibility, OrbX dosn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Penzoil3 View Post
    But OrbX is still designed on the "FS Pilots Global 2010 mesh", and problems have been reported with the 2018 version. OrbX does not support it.
    The Pilots people claim compatibility, OrbX dosn't.
    Im not saying its endorsed and branded as a official Orbx product, im saying that there is no conflicts and the 2 products support each other, either the orbx vector tool or the global vector tool

like ive said, ive seen no problems with the newer version vs the original version with any orbx addon and or Australian freeware or payware addon nor any other payware airport

so far ive checked 356 Ozx and orbx airports within Aus in the past months while in the process of adding dynamic lights to all OZx and Ants Australian sceneries and nothing has been observed.

I have almost all Orbx airports and use the Pilots Global Nextgen mesh without any problems. OrbX airports usually come with their own high LOD meshes which override the Global mesh - remember FS always takes the mesh with the highest LOD no matter where it stands in the library. All Australian OrbX airports definitely work, all the more they all have relatively flat surroundings.

There is only one exception where the Global mesh does not work: Tim Harris' wonderful PNG airfields (Jacksons, Tapini, Emo Mission). They don't come with their own individual meshes but are build with the Holgermesh PNG and this mesh is overriden by the newest Global mesh leading to all kinds of weirdness. If you want to experience those extreme airfields as intended you must have the Holgermesh loaded and deactivate the Oceania section of the Global mesh. The AES tool does not work as these airfields aren't "real" airports for FS.
    P3D v4.5, DCS, AF2
    W10 64bit Pro
    Core i7 6770K @ 4,3 GHz
    32 GB DDR4 2666
    RTX 2080 Super 8 GB
    Oculus Rift S
    Cable 1000 Mbit/s

Quote Originally Posted by vora View Post
    I have almost all Orbx airports and use the Pilots Global Nextgen mesh without any problems. OrbX airports usually come with their own high LOD meshes which override the Global mesh - remember FS always takes the mesh with the highest LOD no matter where it stands in the library. All Australian OrbX airports definitely work, all the more they all have relatively flat surroundings.

There is only one exception where the Global mesh does not work: Tim Harris' wonderful PNG airfields (Jacksons, Tapini, Emo Mission). They don't come with their own individual meshes but are build with the Holgermesh PNG and this mesh is overriden by the newest Global mesh leading to all kinds of weirdness. If you want to experience those extreme airfields as intended you must have the Holgermesh loaded and deactivate the Oceania section of the Global mesh. The AES tool does not work as these airfields aren't "real" airports for FS.
    correct as they dont have afcads to set the predetermined elevation, as they are just ground ploy textures with objects placed on them

Purely as a hypothetical question, does FreemeshX play with FTX as claimed on their site or is it just overwhelmed?
    I noted Matt mentioned he wasn't impressed but others might have found it suits them.
    Curious.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

I'm using FreeMeshX with the Orbx/FTX products in FSX-SE and don't have any noticeable issues. Vector and the AEC configurator tool helped to solve any elevation issues I experienced in the scenery.
    Craig "CB" Taylor
    Team AVSIM RTWR

SOH-CM-2022
    I also use Freemesh with Orbx Global, Vector & Landclass in both FSX-SE and P3Dv4 with no issues

Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    Purely as a hypothetical question, does FreemeshX play with FTX as claimed on their site or is it just overwhelmed?
    I noted Matt mentioned he wasn't impressed but others might have found it suits them.
    Curious.
    For australia particularly there is no improvement there is some noticeable improvements in other countries

I didnt see any problems with my orbx sceneries or other payware

For me i just wanted more detail in the landscapes and what it claimed to do really didnt live up to the hype and mostly left australia flat like holgers free mesh

I like having sand dunes, rivers and the rest of australia defined vs the flat area depicted away from the GDR and southern WA

As stated there is nothing wrong with the free mesh and its a great alternative to the payware stuff but it can be bland in comparison to the higher quailty payware alternative

Interesting replies and a good explanation Matt.
    Can't do without sand dunes and rivers (we seem to be losing our rivers IRL) so I'll stick with my existing option.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll pass on the info.

Tommy
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

Members who have read this thread: 0