AH C-119 Flying Boxcar released - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AH C-119 Flying Boxcar released

Well first off, Randy, the quoted max. cruise speed is 200 MPH, not KNOTS. All quoted speeds are in MPH and your airspeed indicators are also calibrated in MPH. So, on that basis , max. cruise should be around 173 knots. Now, it will all depend on the weight you are carrying too. And don't forget headwinds. A "Boxcar" can lose up to 35 mph on quoted cruise figures in a decent headwind. They were not what you might call sleek ladies...

Your mixtures should be at the bottom end of "Normal" on the quadrant. If they aren't, you are running way too rich for 10,000ft and will never get the power out.

We are still at work on the fuel/flow/economy for these engines in the C-119 so changes my come in that department when we release our first SP. However, as a quick and dirty test, navigate in the CFG to "BestPowerSpecificFuelConsumption" and enter 0.35 there. Go flying and see if it helps your situation. It's not the whole story but it may illustrate how small adjustments make a big difference. Watch the fuel flow gauges to see the effect. Try reducing your payloads in the dropdown menu and remember to lean off your mixtures.

Sorry about the fuel figure in the description, looks like a typo. Tankage is from early versions before they got heavy with extra equipment.

Hope all this helps.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Looking forward VERY much to putting this one in the hangar, but waiting for the dust to settle re: updates and glitches.

Headwinds do not affect an airplane’s airspeed, indicated or otherwise.
    Wind (moving air mass) will only affect an airplane’s speed relative to the ground.

Thanks bazzar,

Completely missed that "mph" tag...my mistake and apologies.

Mixture levers were at the bottom of the range almost, 30 per cent I believe, once I reached 10,000 MSL

I will continue to fly her and practice different settings to see if I can get better at managing fuel flow.

As for winds, all my test flights have been done in clear weather setting in FSX, no winds at any level. Figured having that setting was best for my test flights before I figure out how to fly with weather...Active Sky...on.

Randy
    Randy Tyndall
    It's congenital really. We're an aspiring species that doesn't have wings. What else would we dream of?-Mark Vanhoenacker, British Airways B747 pilot

Icon28 Continuing the Saga

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    The latest downloads from Sellfy are missing the file extension. In other words if you add ".exe" onto the download it should execute properly, at least it did for me.
    Thanks Warhorse 47. That worked! I managed to download and install the base pack, but in trying to download the S.P.s, I ran out of allocated downloads. I'll have to talk to the Good Folk at A.H. About what can be done, as there are further issues, e.g. No manifold pressure indication. I believe they are working on a revised base pack incorporating all the updates etc. So I may just have to be patient. To all at A.H. Regardless it is a magnificent effort, many thanks. One of my all time favourites!! I am sure many of the problems I am having are due to my lack of computer skills, but I'll keep at it!!

Quote Originally Posted by pilto von pilto View Post
    Why we dont sell to EU: It's all in the FAQ ( or should I say more detailed ) but it boils down to EU VAT laws being too difficult for small overseas companies to do business there.
    As for the other stores : Black Friday. They all were notified at the same time as we released. We're putting it down to them all very busy with sales... plus the weekend.

I just topped off my PayPal for this model, and now I read this BS. Milviz doesn't have a problem with selling in the EU, neither do Virtavia, Carenado or any other dev.

I guess you and JustFlight just lost a customer.

Priller

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    I just topped off my PayPal for this model, and now I read this BS. Milviz doesn't have a problem with selling in the EU, neither do Virtavia, Carenado or any other dev.
    Read Baz's slightly fuller explanation in the P3DV4 forum.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    Read Baz's slightly fuller explanation in the P3DV4 forum.
    I have, and it still is BS.

I have most of the AH/JF FSX/P3D catalogue. I like their models and their customer support a lot. But this is just something that I cannot support, and therefor I won't.

Priller.

I guess you and JustFlight just lost a customer.

Priller
    Why are you blaming Just Flight? they have nothing to do with this product other than to publish it once they have it uploaded. You can certainly buy from them.

We don't have a problem selling in the EU, the EU does. With 11 different taxation points with VAT to monitor, the workload in collecting, declaring and submitting the relevant data and funds etc. for every product is too great for small organisations like us. The others may have the time and the people to do it, we don't.

If you can't hold on until Just Flight have it in their inventory, then so be it. We cannot control when they publish, or any of the other EU compliant publishers we use. It will more than likely be ut this week. Patience, as they say is a virtue.

This has nothing to do with patience, but everything with principle.

Making the EU go through a publisher, you're forcing us to pay more than the rest of the world. That is discrimination pure and simple.

Priller

Forgive me but that is nonsense.

We are not "forcing" you to do anything. If we were to be EU compliant, we would have to charge the tax on top of our prices like anybody else, which would make them the same price as any other vendor. Just a quick question, if you do have most of ours and Just Flight's stuff, how have you bought in the past?

It seems that you actually are looking to pay an ex tax price by buying from Australia. Well I'm sorry, no such means exist, for our products or anything else made and sold here.

You are not thinking this out logically. If AH went EU compliant and did sell there, our prices would simply rise to the same level you pay through the vendors because we have to add the tax which by law you have to pay in your country. Can't you see that?

Don't blame us, blame your government - that is where you'll find the BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Catboat View Post
    Thanks Warhorse 47. That worked! I managed to download and install the base pack, but in trying to download the S.P.s, I ran out of allocated downloads. I'll have to talk to the Good Folk at A.H. About what can be done, as there are further issues, e.g. No manifold pressure indication. I believe they are working on a revised base pack incorporating all the updates etc. So I may just have to be patient. To all at A.H. Regardless it is a magnificent effort, many thanks. One of my all time favourites!! I am sure many of the problems I am having are due to my lack of computer skills, but I'll keep at it!!
    Glad you afe enjoying it Catboat, if you read the manual, you will find that the Manifold Pressure gauges are fed through valves which must be opened before a reading will show. They are the two round knobs on the panel marked accordingly. Pull and turn each and the gauges will operate.

Making the EU go through a publisher, you're forcing us to pay more than the rest of the world.
    Priller
    It's a very interesting notion; that a model aircraft designed to exist in an electronic medium could be considered a form of extortion, essentially a virtual gun to the head.

Truly....in view of this light form of home entertainment, I was under the impression that question,"to buy, or not to buy......", could be answered with a yes or no, and not suffer any further penalty.

There is no coercion. ( Mind you, the juicy screenshots are quite enticing, but they're still not an opioid.)

That is discrimination pure and simple.
    Priller
    That's a pretty tall word to use when considering the genteel marketing strategy of a small group of cottage industry artisans may be equated in this case to a human rights violation of an international scale.

I think some re-acquaintance of the word's definition may be in order:

European Union:

https://ec.europa.eu/info/aid-develo...crimination_en

https://www.echr.coe.int/Documents/H...ri_law_ENG.pdf

United States of America:

https://civilrights.findlaw.com/civi...imination.html

https://definitions.uslegal.com/d/discrimination/

Canada:

https://www.chrc-ccdp.gc.ca/eng/cont...discrimination

Australia:

https://www.ag.gov.au/RightsAndProte...ation-Law.aspx

https://www.humanrights.gov.au/emplo...imination-laws

In the interest of keeping this one open, can I ask that we just cool down? If one looks at the situation logically, it is pretty small beer compared to other issues affecting this life.

In summary, the facts are:

We cannot and do not wish to spend the time or money to become tax collectors for governments, especially 11 of them.

If we were to go compliant, our prices would rise, at least by the tax amount - we can't absorb the taxes, neither should we have to and would have to charge for admin costs. So our pricing would be the same as our vendors' gross pricing

All that has happened here is that Black Friday and Thanksgiving sales have occupied the vendors' time and so have delayed their uploading the product to their shops. Nobody is missing out on anything. When the vendors are ready, everybody can buy. We are just as frustrated for obvious reasons.

Ok enough about politics and European economics. This thread is about the C-119 Boxcar period.

This has been said before and I will say it again. If purchasing this product doesn't fit your fancy then simply don't.

Bazzar has detail the policies as to purchasing and where with a complete explanation.

Please keep this thread about the C-119 Boxcar!!!
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Bazzar - I broke down and bought this afternoon.

An excellent product, in keeping with what your operation has produced in the past if not actually surpassing it this time.

I have a question. The answer may not lie with you however you may be able to give some hints on where to look.

I just departed Gander Intl Apt westbound empty. Got up to about 9000 ft, set MAP at about 34-35 inches, RPM at 2100, and mixture control at roughly the juncture between the blue and the red - what should correspond to low medium - high weak mixture (BTW it's possible to know, with your product, when you "cross the line" with mixture and fade into the low regions because the engine note will change, along with a slight drop in RPM. Just bumping it back up a fraction changes the engine note and the smoothness of the ride - RPM will climb too - and we're operating at peak efficiency, if what was taught me years ago is correct).

My question has to do with built-in failures. I mentioned being straight and level with the above settings over the Maritimes. I had held this course for roughly 10 minutes. After leaving the keyboard for about five minutes, with the bird on autopilot, I returned to find the right engine feathered, our heading altered by 90 degrees to the right, and the bird approaching a stall.

Are there built-in failures in the model?

Also - I remember seeing something somewhere about an "AFK" switch, but can't recall if it's in the FSX settings or on the keyboard. Is this AFK issue a part of the change in the aircraft's behavior?

Support for A.H.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    Glad you afe enjoying it Catboat, if you read the manual, you will find that the Manifold Pressure gauges are fed through valves which must be opened before a reading will show. They are the two round knobs on the panel marked accordingly. Pull and turn each and the gauges will operate.
    Thanks Bazzar,
    I should have known-read the Manual before jumping to conclusions. Re the current other discussions-I wish I had the talent you guys have. It never ceases to amaze me what you can do. This is a big complex model, and there are bound to be initial problems, which will be sorted out. I have become a little choosy over the years with payware, but there are some, A.H., Milviz , Just Flight, Flight Replicas, Carenado, Alabeo, A2A, Golden Age,and others who to me, have always produced the goods, sometimes with glitches, which almost always have eventually been corrected. To all, a heart-felt thanks. You have given me a hobby, that 20 years ago, I never would have thought possible. I can fly many aircraft that during my career, I wound never have had a chance to imagine flying, e.g. the C119. So lets
    get on with the enjoyment!!

Quote Originally Posted by SSI01 View Post
    Bazzar - I broke down and bought this afternoon.

An excellent product, in keeping with what your operation has produced in the past if not actually surpassing it this time.

I have a question. The answer may not lie with you however you may be able to give some hints on where to look.

I just departed Gander Intl Apt westbound empty. Got up to about 9000 ft, set MAP at about 34-35 inches, RPM at 2100, and mixture control at roughly the juncture between the blue and the red - what should correspond to low medium - high weak mixture (BTW it's possible to know, with your product, when you "cross the line" with mixture and fade into the low regions because the engine note will change, along with a slight drop in RPM. Just bumping it back up a fraction changes the engine note and the smoothness of the ride - RPM will climb too - and we're operating at peak efficiency, if what was taught me years ago is correct).

My question has to do with built-in failures. I mentioned being straight and level with the above settings over the Maritimes. I had held this course for roughly 10 minutes. After leaving the keyboard for about five minutes, with the bird on autopilot, I returned to find the right engine feathered, our heading altered by 90 degrees to the right, and the bird approaching a stall.

Are there built-in failures in the model?

Also - I remember seeing something somewhere about an "AFK" switch, but can't recall if it's in the FSX settings or on the keyboard. Is this AFK issue a part of the change in the aircraft's behavior?

Sounds to me like you've run out of fuel for the right engine. Did you remember to switch tanks to balance the fuel? The inners should be used once you have established on your flight. Then when they run down to about 10%, switch back to outers, Remember that the switch operation for each side is different. The Left selector will point left for outer and the right selector will point right for outer (pointing "out in each case).

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    My apologies, an elementary mistake on my part. Still learning the inst. panel.

Thanks!

EDIT: One of my First Sergeants years ago was a gunner aboard AC-119s in Vietnam and worked the Ho Chi Minh Trail at night. He kept his mission tapes for me to listen to if I felt like it. He has since passed away but I remember him when I look at this thing. Don't know if you're contemplating it but someday hopefully there'll be a Stinger/Shadow.

Testimony to this thing's strength - he told me about the night an NVA 37mm shell or two blew the bottom out of most of the cargo compartment and sprayed hydraulic fluid over everything, including their parachutes. They made it back to NKP, I think, no one was seriously hurt.

Thank you AH for finally breaking the C-119 curse!
    Bought it the other day and looking forward to putting more hours on the airframes. I don't know why but I was initially under the impression that you weren't doing the PW R-4360 marks, but I'm happy to see you did!
    I think perhaps on my days off this week I'm going to poke around with the paintkit.
    -building a new sig as you see this!-

Now this is available at JF (at a good price!) I might just purchase it.
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    P3D v3.4
    P3D v4.5
    FSX-SE
    X-Plane 11

Thanks Bazz and Team - great job !!! I never had so much fun flying a "Sandwich-Package" with wings. It is a great package and a real "funflyer"

All the Best

Dirk

The "Long" Wait is over

Just rushed to JustFlight and spend my last savings, Bazz and Team you did a great job, fine aircraft to fly and great detail, no frame rate killer as well.
    And for now back to the skies again in this great flyer.

Thanks guys, very much appreciated. Keep an eye out for future Service Packs and other goodies to come.

OK "bazzar" says airspeed is indicated in MPH. So how do I change FSX so that it reads MPH & not KPH. Been trying to do this for years.

Members who have read this thread: 2