Is there a quick reference A/C flight characteristics list?

Thread: Is there a quick reference A/C flight characteristics list?

Over50

Is there a quick reference A/C flight characteristics list?

I know stats information exists for each A/C in the game, but what I've not seen if it exists is a list by A/C of engine and physical operation no-nos to avoid.

For example, I just learned last night during a furball in my Sopwith Camel that radical moves such as attempted barrel rolls or other type of inversion result in engine shutoff. Not a good way to find out as I'm getting shot up and on my way to the ground while frantically trying to restart the engine....

By the way, I'm having better luck (staying alive) with the Camel - actually scored a shoot-down - vs the Spad where I was getting killed off repeatedly.

gimpyguy
    Once you stall out an engine, for any reason with these Birds, you can't restart PERIOD. Unless of course, you brought a friend to turn your propeller for you.

Australia Mate! living the good life in Gods Country
    Actually Gimp, there are accounts of pilots who have shut down an engine and then dived to put out a fire, then once the fire was out, put ignition back in and used the windmilling of the prop (due to high airflow) to spin the prop and start the engine.

as for a list of flight characteristics, no not yet. in the future the manuals will be updated, dont ask when though (very low on the list)

regards Rob.
    No other success can compensate for failure in the home..

Hi, OVER50
    When you like the Camel more than the SPAD, you're a turn fighter; not a "boomer-zoomer".

The British and Nieuport planes are all pretty good in turning and climbing.
    German equivalents: Dr.1 and D VII

The SPAD is very fast, good stabile diver, good climber - but no good for tight turns.
    German equivalent: Fokker D VII and D VII F

Fastest planes: 1. S.E. 5a (222 km/h) 2. SPAD XIII (218 km/h) 3. Fokker D VII F (210 km/h)

Most lethal weapons: Sopwith Camel, S.E. 5 a, all German planes (except Fokker E III and Halberstadt D II)

More detailed info must be flown out by yourself - each fighter may prefer a different plane, that suits him best...

Over50
    Quote Originally Posted by gimpyguy View Post
    Once you stall out an engine, for any reason with these Birds, you can't restart PERIOD. Unless of course, you brought a friend to turn your propeller for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Winters View Post
    Actually Gimp, there are accounts of pilots who have shut down an engine and then dived to put out a fire, then once the fire was out, put ignition back in and used the windmilling of the prop (due to high airflow) to spin the prop and start the engine.

as for a list of flight characteristics, no not yet. in the future the manuals will be updated, dont ask when though (very low on the list)

regards Rob.
    Thanks guys. I remember reading somewhere about such and such engine had a gravity fed fuel system and as such too steep of a dive and/or other extreme maneuver would stall it. Just can't remember which forum.

As an aside, I was able to restart the Camel engine - twice .... but I have the auto start option enabled vs mags, etc., so maybe that accounts for why.

I would think new pilots would have had basic info such as this drilled into them before throwing them into battle. Another example is the zoom and shoot with the Spad vs getting into a turning fight which was it's weakness (and learned here after complaining about always getting shot down).

Over50
    Quote Originally Posted by Olham54 View Post
    Hi, OVER50

When you like the Camel more than the SPAD, you're a turn fighter; not a "boomer-zoomer".

Most lethal weapons: Sopwith Camel, S.E. 5 a, all German planes (except Fokker E III and Halberstadt D II)

Yup (turn fighter). That's been my learned MO dating back to 1942 Pacific Air War, Europeon Air War and the IL2 series up through Pacific Fighters. That's why it's been a hard habit to break with OFF 3 - and why I gave the Camel a go after miserably failing to do anything in the SPAD XIII except always get shot down. Heck, even zoomin' and shootin' I still couldn't survive with the SPAD.

Well that fits with my success (last night anyway..) with the Camel. I also changed the bullet spread from normal to tight which based on the damage I was inflicting seemed to help as well.

From all I read, I'd say: stay with the Camel - best British fighter plane, if you can fly the beast. If it's too tricky - take the S.E. 5a.
    The Camel is the "Spitfire", the S.E. 5 a is the "Hurricane" (IMHO). All four very good planes!
    Have fun anyway!
    Olham

gimpyguy
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Winters View Post
    regards Rob.
    Agreed . . Willie Coppens would do it for all his balloon attacks on purpose.
    Nobody else ever TRIED to do it, and lived to tell about it.

The Gravity feed fuel supply existed on some early british pushers, but that's about it. While these engines didn't have a fuel pump. The pilot in flight pressurised the fuel tank, by manually pumping air in above the fuel, that's the purpose of that bicycle pump in the cockpit. That why one tired bullet could miss the pilot, but bring down the aircraft. Make one hole in the tank above the fuel level, that engine's gonna stutter, cough, and stall in 30 seconds

gimpyguy
    [quote=Over50;118693]
    As an aside, I was able to restart the Camel engine - twice .... but I have the auto start option enabled vs mags, etc.

This a patch. . "E"is always gonna start up your engine. It's left to your imagination that somebody spun your propellor

That why I said I hope you brought a friend along to spin the propeller.

This Video should explain a lot
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtprTL66-FY

And while you're at it this one would show a lot
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYMZl...eature=related :ernae:

Over50
    [quote=gimpyguy;118809]
    Quote Originally Posted by Over50 View Post
    As an aside, I was able to restart the Camel engine - twice .... but I have the auto start option enabled vs mags, etc.

This a patch. . "E"is always gonna start up your engine. It's left to your imagination that somebody spun your propellor

That why I said I hope you brought a friend along to spin the propeller.

This Video should explain a lot
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtprTL66-FY

And while you're at it this one would show a lot
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYMZl...eature=related :ernae:
    Thanks..I'd seen the actual (real) aircraft vid before in this forum. The second link/vid was new (to me) but illustrates my preferred style of fight (continuous turning) which I now know is not compatible with the SPAD.

Members who have read this thread: 0