P-47 Progress Thread - Page 15
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5789101112131415

Thread: P-47 Progress Thread

I've been looking for an existing reticle that provides the proper oval mask to match the reflector glass shape. This one fits the best.

<Effect Type="Track" EffectName="uk_raf_bob2-_gunsight" PosX="0" PosZ="-0.825" PosY="0.9725" Pitch="90.0" MinVel="-999999" MaxVel="999999"/>

The next best is

<Effect Type="Track" EffectName="us_aaf_l3-_gunsight" PosX="0" PosZ="-0.725" PosY="0.9725" Pitch="90.0" MinVel="-999999" MaxVel="999999"/>

If we want this aircraft to have the K14 reticle (like the static default) I can create a new dds file with a texture mask like the one in BOB2-, but there will have to be a new line added to the effects.xml file, and some people may not care to do the edit required for it to work.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

The present reticle is a remnant of the K-14 that I did for later P-47D models and an oversight of me when I uploaded the model. As the D-25 used the Navy Mk8 gunsight (or the British Mk.II) the proper reticle should be one that fits the type. I don't know about the masks of present reticles but I could always create one, if a certain someone doesn't beat me to it...

The Mk.14 only came factory-installed on the D-40 and was retrofitted on earlier models after that.

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

Quote Originally Posted by rince33 View Post
    ... The link has expired but I look forward to flying it when it's completed.
    Don't worry, you'll get another chance with the update that removes the floating web part on the cowling (can't have that, even for the time being)

Thank's for the heads up mate. I'll have to find some P47 missions in the interim. I recently downloaded the ETO package, now would be a good time to install it I think.

The existing mk8 reticle (we have 5 mod patterns to choose from) would need an oval mask added as well. I can create the appropriate one you want, and provide the text to add to the effects.xml, and texturemagic.ini files.

Is this the mod version you had in mind?

For the British Mk II Ring and Bead reticle we already have this one.

<Effect Type="Track" EffectName="uk_raf_bob2-_gunsight" PosX="0" PosZ="-0.825" PosY="0.9725" Pitch="90.0" MinVel="-999999" MaxVel="999999"/>
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorMagee View Post
    ... Is this the mod version you had in mind?
    Yep, those two (the Navy and British ones) are the ones I encounter most. Since I textured the sight with a Navy designation, I would go for the one from your piccie.

Here is what you'll need.

ACC_P47DQQ_Mk8_Reticle.zip

Here is full bright for daylight.

and min dim (but not off) to preserve your vision at night.

There are five increments in between so you can adjust it to match the lighting conditions as they change.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Much obliged!!

I missed the boat on the first round, but it does look very nice! I'm curious how your work with the materials in the VC will affect things when you start adding specular textures. It may get complicated. I'm not sure how you set it up on the gmax side of things, but when I hex edit an m3d, there are four main parts I adjust:
    Transparency
    A tag which causes CFS3 to treat it as a reflective part or not, which increases the strength of reflections
    Specular strength
    Specular sharpness

For ease of working with specular textures, I try to set standard values of specular strength, so that specific shades in the greyscale specular textures produce consistent levels of specular output. If you are using a lot of different values here for different materials in gmax, you might be making more work for yourself, since this will be modified again by the specular texture. The specular sharpness cannot be changed by the specular texture, so this is where I suspect your work with materials will help you achieve the desired results.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorMagee View Post
    ... The glass is simply a matter of too little ambient light for you to see them.
    I am not sure we are seeing the same in CFS3: Your gauges' glass and canopy perpex in the screenies is transparent while mine is opaque during the night unless I edit it in the .m3d file which gives opposite problems during the day. This is what I see during the night:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenie_2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	92907

Any ideas?

There are three lines in the cockpit m3d that define the interior glass referencing scratches_reflection.dds (FF FF 0E 00 FF FF), or ACC_P47DQQ_XXXXXX_GaugesGlass_s.dds (FF FF 12 00 FF FF). The problem with the way they are currently entered is that they need a diffuse texture reference (first position after the glossiness numbers) to go along with the specular texture reference (second position after the glossiness numbers). Changing them to (0E 00 0E 00 FF FF), or (12 00 12 00 FF FF) respectively clears up the issue.

Alternatively, you can leave them without any diffuse or specular texture reference (FF FF FF FF FF FF) after the glossiness numbers (00 00 00 00 00 42), and get the same result.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Ah, so that is it!

I had these diffuse materials unticked and set to '0' in gmax but apparently that doesn't work (I just found a thread that it is possible to remove a map in 3DS Max but not gmax). So I have to create a new material without a diffuse material...

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    I missed the boat on the first round, but it does look very nice! I'm curious how your work with the materials in the VC will affect things when you start adding specular textures. It may get complicated. I'm not sure how you set it up on the gmax side of things, but when I hex edit an m3d, there are four main parts I adjust:
    Transparency
    A tag which causes CFS3 to treat it as a reflective part or not, which increases the strength of reflections
    Specular strength
    Specular sharpness

For ease of working with specular textures, I try to set standard values of specular strength, so that specific shades in the greyscale specular textures produce consistent levels of specular output. If you are using a lot of different values here for different materials in gmax, you might be making more work for yourself, since this will be modified again by the specular texture. The specular sharpness cannot be changed by the specular texture, so this is where I suspect your work with materials will help you achieve the desired results.
    I need to think this over and experiment a bit - maybe the metal export problems arise from my use of shaders (and their settings) in combination with the _s and _r textures.

What I did was selecting the 'blinn' shader for non-metal parts and changing the 'specular' and 'gloss' settings using PBR values I found on the web in hopes of achieving a similar effect (CFS3 doesn't support real PBR). I was hoping that I could influence/finetune those basic gmax settings with the specular or reflective textures. I used the metal shader for bare metal parts. But perhaps using just two shaders (metal and blinn) without a lot of different multi-material settings to distinguish between different material properties is enough and have the textures do the rest.

Preview update!

Just in time for the end of the month I'd like to share an update for the Christmas 2023 preview of the P-47.

The prime motivator for this was the piece of cowl flap webbing that got misplaced on the external model and the files provided by Rene and Andy. Another one would be the fact that if something would happen to my files (or to me), you'd be left with a unfinished virtual cockpit - specifically the still unwrapped/untextured parts that would seriously bring the immersion factor down. So wherever I could, I either finished, updated or deleted those parts and updated/altered their textures.

The FM has been updated by Rene to v4.00 standards. The range arcs and limits on the gauges differ somewhat from the previous version (which were actually those for later models), so the needles may appear to be off on some of them (eg. the fuel and oil pressure needles). This problem may be addressed in the future.

Inspired by the +clight files posted by Andy, I reviewed all info I could find on the gauges, placards and cockpit decals to determine which ones were radium painted/UV reactive and which ones were simply black and white. The new +clight textures included in this update should reflect the results.

On top of that, you'll get a new weapon: the M10 Triple Rocket Launcher with the M8A1 rocket.
    The Triple Rocket Launcher was developed to enable the M8 rocket to be used as an air-to-ground weapon. It came in three versions, the M10, the M14 and the M15, which differed predominantly in the material used for the launch tubes (plastic, steel and magnesium alloy respectively) and, as a consequence, in weight. Being plastic, the M10 cluster was to be discarded after 5 launches - before it could rupture or generally become too unreliable in use.

The M8A1 was a 4.5in solid fuel rocket with a ca. 4.3lb explosive charge, weighing approx. 40 lb as a complete weapon. It was stabilized in flight by six fins that flipped up once the projectile had cleared the launch tube. Muzzle speed was 850ft/s with a maximum range of about 4,600 yards. The explosive effect was comparable to that of the 105mm artillery shell M1.
    [Data: TM9-395 4.5" AIRCRAFT ROCKET MATERIEL, 12 September 1944]

An installation readme in .txt and .pdf format is included.

As before, the WeTransfer link below is valid for only 7 days, so get it while it is still there: https://we.tl/t-jjyYeciw3d

Cool addition, thanks Frosty! Rocket launcher is awesome, lookout Kriegs Marine!

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Thank you for the progress and the download of the preview ! Cheers, Scott

Joost, she sure is pretty! So nice

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	240129 1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	93147~Click image for larger version. 

Name:	240129 2.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	93148SClick image for larger version. 

Name:	240129 3.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	208.7 KB 
ID:	93149~Click image for larger version. 

Name:	240129 4.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	176.6 KB 
ID:	93150

Blog Entries
    Your P-47 is fantastic. You have wet my appetite ! Can't wait to see the finish product. Keep up the wonderful work , and thank you so much for the time and effort put into this labor of love . Regards, Scott

Blog Entries
    I have one questio. Where does the JSME file go ? Saw no instruction on it. Thanks , Scott

Glad you like it, guys!

@Scott: The .jsgme file is a descriptive text file for people who use the JSGME program to install/uninstall mods. If you don't use that program, you don't have any need for it and can ignore it when coying the P-47 files.

BTW, there won't be a February update: I was a little tired of working on it and wanted to take some time off. Hopefully there will be a March update with new goodies...

Blog Entries
    Great Frosty ! Can't wait for the new update. Loving the wonderful P-47D and been really putting it to the test. Thank you so much for making a long time dream come true ! Regards Scott

Blog Entries
    Just checking on how things are coming along ? So excited about the series you are doing. ! Regards ,Scott

Quote Originally Posted by sixstrings5859 View Post
    Just checking on how things are coming along ? So excited about the series you are doing. ! Regards ,Scott
    Sorry, nothing new to show/report yet but I am working on an improvement of something that's already in ETO (and ties in a little with some of the P-47s).

Members who have read this thread: 62