In search of a new computer - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In search of a new computer

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs
    What he said !

I built my first back in 2012, an I-7 3690X, H20 cooling..... blah blah blah .... I did it by watching You tube videos .... even did a small overclock on the Intel chip up to ~ 4.17

Go for it

Don

We recently purchased an IBUYPower Intel I7 8700 with a GTX 1060. The only thing I had to do was dump in another 8GB stick of Ram. I used to build my own PC's, in fact built the last 3 and I used to build them professionally but I just didn't want to this time so we found this one on Amazon. It runs P3D4 wonderfully!

https://www.amazon.com/iBUYPOWER-Des...power+intel+i7
    Intel I7 8700 16gb DDR4 RAM GTX 1060 3GB with Windows 10

South Chesterfield Virginia, United States
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for all of your input, guys. Now to check with my minister of finance to see if funding is available. ☺

If you don't care for building your own, I'll just leave this here:

https://www.pcgamer.com/get-a-dell-d...or-dollar1080/

Much better deal than what was shown here already.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gdavis101 View Post
    We recently purchased an IBUYPower Intel I7 8700 with a GTX 1060. The only thing I had to do was dump in another 8GB stick of Ram. I used to build my own PC's, in fact built the last 3 and I used to build them professionally but I just didn't want to this time so we found this one on Amazon. It runs P3D4 wonderfully!

https://www.amazon.com/iBUYPOWER-Des...power+intel+i7
    I bought the same one except for a 1070 8mb card and second the opinion. If you search the net you will find the list of components and they are top notch. Runs everything I throw at it with sliders almost all the way to the right.
    I run P4D V4 and only use FSX for those few planes not compatible with P3D.

whatever you get, enjoy simming.
    Bob

Blog Entries
    Well, I took the plunge yesterday. After researching and mulling over it. I ordered the iBuypower 8700 with the 1080 card in it from Bestbuy. It's supposed to be here Friday. I also got a Thrustmaster Hotas 4 to replace my ancient control stick. If all goes well, maybe I can finally get back in the air soon. I thank everyone for your insight. 👍

Right with you, after mulling over reviews and prices finally decided to stay with a 1080 GPU plus a "gaming" monitor although I'm going to explore VR. I am NOT looking forward to moving over my massive FSX files (well the ones that work in P3D) and starting from ground zero with settings/tweaks/downloads. On the good side, a few bolters are in my future with the DCS Hornet!

My current ASUS gaming laptop has actually held up, purchased early 2011 with a couple overseas trips on it. Motherboard did something weird after the 1 year warranty expired (as in the day after), factory couldn't repair and I've only recently replaced the battery. FPS locked at 30, the old GTX 460 allows me to fly with reduced settings, but I have to have my AI on! I fly 95% mil stuff (no PMDG yet), so the VRS Bug does well as long as I'm not buzzing the NYC/SFO skyline.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksand View Post
    Well, I took the plunge yesterday. After researching and mulling over it. I ordered the iBuypower 8700 with the 1080 card in it from Bestbuy. It's supposed to be here Friday. I also got a Thrustmaster Hotas 4 to replace my ancient control stick. If all goes well, maybe I can finally get back in the air soon. I thank everyone for your insight. 
    I'm sure you'll get many hours of pleasure out of that rig QS!!

Have fun! It is after all, a hobby.

Priller

bought an Ibuypower pc a few years ago,was the worst pc ive ever had.hope you well with yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveroo View Post
    bought an Ibuypower pc a few years ago,was the worst pc ive ever had.hope you well with yours.
    Let's stay positive here! The man bought a system with an i7 8700 and an Nvidia GTX1080. I'm pretty sure he'll be very happy with it!

Priller

Blog Entries
    I'm hoping so. Sorry you had a bad experience with your buy, Daveroo. I read tons of reviews before I forked over the money. They (iBuypower) has addressed alot of the issues. At least it's not a laptop, and I've got a three year warranty with it. Time will tell. 

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksand View Post
    I'm hoping so. Sorry you had a bad experience with your buy, Daveroo. I read tons of reviews before I forked over the money. They (iBuypower) has addressed alot of the issues. At least it's not a laptop, and I've got a three year warranty with it. Time will tell. 
    Two more days QS, and your new toy will be there!!

And then, hours of clicking and installing fun!

Priller

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Your jaw will drop the first time you run FSX. I have the same computer only with a 1070 and I love it.

Mine just arrived, but undecided yet if I'm going to put both FSX and P3D on it. Sadly, I do know some of my favorite FSX add-ons will not transfer to P3Dv4.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    Mine just arrived, but undecided yet if I'm going to put both FSX and P3D on it. Sadly, I do know some of my favorite FSX add-ons will not transfer to P3Dv4.
    You can always experiment with P3D by getting a developers license, 10$ a month, cancel before the month is up. If you got a new high power machine you might as well at least try it.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    I have both and P3D is far and away a better sim. I keep both and use FSX only for those aircraft I can't do without. I upgraded the 250 gb solid state drive with a 500 GB one and use that for P3D. The D: drive is for FSX-se and X-Plane 11.2.

Have fun. BTW, my sliders for P3D for this rig are almost all the way to the right!

Bob

I'm presently in the process of putting together a new desktop for FSX and eventually P3D. This is what I am planning;

Intel i7-8700K
    Corsair H100i v2 water cooling
    Asus Prime Z-370-A motherboard
    16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3200Mhz
    500GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2
    1TB WD Black
    LG WP50NB40 external Blu-ray
    8GB GeForce GTX 1080 GDDR5X
    Win 10 Home 64bit
    Corsair Black 330R case
    650watt Corsair RM650X Modular 80 PLUS GOLD

Hopefully this will take me a few years into the future. Who knows, maybe even VR one day. Any suggestions or comments?

Does P3D use more than 4 threads?

Wouldn't it save you tons of money by just getting an overclockable i3?

Wouldn't the performance be the same? (or better if you can OC higher)

Quote Originally Posted by Stefano Zibell View Post
    Does P3D use more than 4 threads?

Wouldn't it save you tons of money by just getting an overclockable i3?

Wouldn't the performance be the same? (or better if you can OC higher)
    In a word....No.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by p14u2nv View Post
    I'm presently in the process of putting together a new desktop for FSX and eventually P3D. This is what I am planning;

Intel i7-8700K
    Corsair H100i v2 water cooling
    Asus Prime Z-370-A motherboard
    16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3200Mhz
    500GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2
    1TB WD Black
    LG WP50NB40 external Blu-ray
    8GB GeForce GTX 1080 GDDR5X
    Win 10 Home 64bit
    Corsair Black 330R case
    650watt Corsair RM650X Modular 80 PLUS GOLD

Hopefully this will take me a few years into the future. Who knows, maybe even VR one day. Any suggestions or comments?
    Add a 250G SSD for the system and keep the 500G one for your FS.
    My present P3D4.2 installation alone takes up 400GB..........................and that's after culling a lot of aircraft!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

I too am working on a new PC construct. Love the Maingear products and considering the f131. Endless options if you have an endless wallet. Time to go 100% SSD and leave the hard drives as external archive storage.

https://www.maingear.com/custom/desktops/f131/index.php

cheers,

- d
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Great info as I find out in my initial P3D install that I am using the default C: drive, which is now already close to full and my 1TB sits empty as I re-download previous FSX payware. I'm big on AI and I have yet to move stuff over, which will need more space, oh and all that scenery.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Hey QS, any news on your new toy?

Priller

Blog Entries
    Yes and no, Priller. I got it yesterday but I'm still working on getting the computer room set up. 🙄 I hope to be able to unbox it and get it running tomorrow. I promised my better half that I would finish rearranging two rooms before I start it up. I will definitely report back as soon as I get it operational. 👍

Blog Entries
    Well, I got the new rig fired up. So far everything is working. No problems getting it going. It's going to take a while to get all of my sim stuff loaded and running. Happy so far. It seems fast, and it runs quietly. I will probably be asking for your feedback on settings and such, as I got a widescreen monitor with it, and I've never set one up before for FSX. This is the first desktop machine I've had in twelve years.

Members who have read this thread: 0