General Aviation AI Generator

Thread: General Aviation AI Generator

General Aviation AI Generator

I don't do Commercial Airliners for AI. . .strictly GA and only the smaller Airports. Does anyone know of a good Payware/Freeware program that generates AI traffic for General Aviation airports? I found one for FSX (freeware) but it has no option to scan for airplanes or airports outside of FSX so it's useless as 90% of my airports and airplanes are kept outside of the default folders.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Hey Falcon,

ORBX has one for North America on its freeware page. I don't know about the limitations you mention and how it handles them.

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

I use this - no scripting required and very easy to use:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downlo...sx-ga-traffic/

It found my various attempts at scenery kept in additional folders to the FSX default addonscnery folder.

Couldn't find it in the library here so it's from Flyawaysimulation, here's the blurb:

GA-Traffic second release candidate. GA-Traffic is the first fully automatic general aviation (GA) traffic generator, now for FSX. Features: Generate GA traffic for every installed airport of the whole FSX world at once; Fully automatic detection of installed planes and airports; Simulate different GA traffic behavior; 'Virtual landing fees' unique algorithm to avoid GA traffic generation on busy commercial airports; Amphibian planes used only near seaports; Amount of plane usage selectable for every livery; Different plane usage (taxi, business, rental, student, club and private) selectable for every livery; Unique 'Make AI' function to reduce the texture size of add-on planes to hold the frames per second up.; Proofed aircraft files for correct AI flying behavior; Integrated TrafficTools from Lee Swordy, no need to manual generate the traffic files. By Markus Brunner. (Previous version had 1526 downloads.)
    Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganter View Post
    I use this - no scripting required and very easy to use:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downlo...sx-ga-traffic/

It found my various attempts at scenery kept in additional folders to the FSX default addonscnery folder.

Couldn't find it in the library here so it's from Flyawaysimulation, here's the blurb:

GA-Traffic second release candidate. GA-Traffic is the first fully automatic general aviation (GA) traffic generator, now for FSX. Features: Generate GA traffic for every installed airport of the whole FSX world at once; Fully automatic detection of installed planes and airports; Simulate different GA traffic behavior; 'Virtual landing fees' unique algorithm to avoid GA traffic generation on busy commercial airports; Amphibian planes used only near seaports; Amount of plane usage selectable for every livery; Different plane usage (taxi, business, rental, student, club and private) selectable for every livery; Unique 'Make AI' function to reduce the texture size of add-on planes to hold the frames per second up.; Proofed aircraft files for correct AI flying behavior; Integrated TrafficTools from Lee Swordy, no need to manual generate the traffic files. By Markus Brunner. (Previous version had 1526 downloads.)
    This is the one I tried yesterday and it was unable to scan the scenery folders outside of the main FSX Addon scenery folder. The only way I could get it to locate them was to go directly to each scenery folder for each scenery and click on the AFCAD bgl. . .I have way too many sceneries to do each one separately so this program got the boot very quickly.

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by Odie View Post
    Hey Falcon,

ORBX has one for North America on its freeware page. I don't know about the limitations you mention and how it handles them.
    Installed it last evening Odie so I'm getting ready to go take a look and see if it is working. Thanks for the HU.

REPORT: Nope, this appears to be strictly for Orbx Payware and Freeware Airports:
    "This pack will give you AI aircraft coverage at all Orbx payware and freeware airports plus North America Regions."

I originally read that last part to infer that any North American airport would get the benefit, but after going through a large list of my custom airports, I've seen no sign of any GA or small jet activity. Yes I have the traffic sliders set correctly and yes I used the control panel in FTX Central to set the specifications for the AI generation. So it appears that program is a wash as well.
    Last edited by falcon409; May 11th, 2018 at 04:54. Reason: UPDATED INFO

Current System Specs:

TrafficDataBaseBuilder from the SDK works better than "GA Traffic" for me.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...BuilderUtility

It's a bit time consuming to set up initially, but once most data is in, generating a new, updated file is quite easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    TrafficDataBaseBuilder from the SDK works better than "GA Traffic" for me.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...BuilderUtility

It's a bit time consuming to set up initially, but once most data is in, generating a new, updated file is quite easy.
    I'll second the use of TDBB for GA setup. Since the Airport listing is filled via dump from within FS9/X, it's easy to keep that list updated as you install new or updated scenery.

I then run the generated traffic file through AI Flight Planner. That way, I can use the Subset tool to make sure that, for example, the only place I'm going to see GA that has UK-based textures on them are in flights in and out of the UK. Don't need good ol' G-AKSI showing up landing in California and flying in from Vegas.

Falcon , have you checked that the Orbx free AI a/c are in the Airplanes folder, and that there's a traffic bgl somewhere accessible? This might be important if you don't have other Orbx stuff installed.

David
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    This is the one I tried yesterday and it was unable to scan the scenery folders outside of the main FSX Addon scenery folder. The only way I could get it to locate them was to go directly to each scenery folder for each scenery and click on the AFCAD bgl. . .I have way too many sceneries to do each one separately so this program got the boot very quickly.

Dump your additional scenery/ AI folders to the default addonscenery folder IN the addonscenery folder - let GA Traffic scan and do its stuff - then it will have created the .bgl. Job done.

Then move your additional folders back to where you want them to be - their location is now irrelevant.

Fly.
    Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

Dump your additional scenery/ AI folders to the default addonscenery folder IN the addonscenery folder - let GA Traffic scan and do its stuff - then it will have created the .bgl. Job done.

Then move your additional folders back to where you want them to be - their location is now irrelevant.

Fly.
    I appreciate the suggestion, but I'm not going to pull 200+ scenery folders from the setup I currently have just to get a program to recognize them. No worth it just to get some GA traffic. Understand, there have only been a few times in the past 20 years or so that I actually had any AI traffic to speak of. Early systems I had suffered from any AI in any realistic numbers so I never used it. I started using AI Flight Planner two or three years ago to setup traffic to some airports I did around the Block Island, Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard area. . .mostly to see if it worked. . .it did. . .I got tired of it and never used it again. . .back to no AI. I have some new airports I've done and wanted to setup a regular schedule of flight in and out of the airports. . .I can do without it though.

Current System Specs:

I appreciate the suggestion, but I'm not going to pull 200+ scenery folders from the setup I currently have just to get a program to recognize them. No worth it just to get some GA traffic. Understand, there have only been a few times in the past 20 years or so that I actually had any AI traffic to speak of. Early systems I had suffered from any AI in any realistic numbers so I never used it. I started using AI Flight Planner two or three years ago to setup traffic to some airports I did around the Block Island, Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard area. . .mostly to see if it worked. . .it did. . .I got tired of it and never used it again. . .back to no AI. I have some new airports I've done and wanted to setup a regular schedule of flight in and out of the airports. . .I can do without it though.

Well, you could bung them all in one folder and drag them all into (FSX Default Addonscenery) - let GA Traffic chew on it - then scatter them back.

Depends how much you want AI Traffic I suppose. Your shout - you OP'd what you wanted - the internet has responded with advice.

Now might be a time to consolidate and organise your sub folders in to a "Save, Save Not" / decision to keep/ hierarchy - and as a bonus get lots of other guys piloting wings around you.

Your sim. Your way. Peace.
    Jim

Well, you could bung them all in one folder and drag them all into (FSX Default Addonscenery) - let GA Traffic chew on it - then scatter them back.

Depends how much you want AI Traffic I suppose. Your shout - you OP'd what you wanted - the internet has responded with advice.

Now might be a time to consolidate and organise your sub folders in to a "Save, Save Not" / decision to keep/ hierarchy - and as a bonus get lots of other guys piloting wings around you.

Your sim. Your way. Peace.
    Understood. Thanks for the suggestions.

Current System Specs:

Understood. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Wait, a few hundred sceneries? - that would a right PITA to do then. I only have a dozen or so.

It's a pity there isn't a more straightforward solution for populating FSX/ P3D with GA AI. An opportunity awaits for some bright spark...
    Jim

Ed, like you I have no airliner traffic, only GA and some military. I make up my AI environments manually, using ADEX, TTools and AIFlightPlanner. I have GA flying around Connecticut (Fishers Island, White Plains, etc) and Naval stuff around naval air stations, e.g., Cecil, Key West, and also in SEA. I have some planes parked all the time and just few doing patterns/TNG's to give the area some life. Key is to keep the number of flightplans to a minimum.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by SabreAce View Post
    I'll second the use of TDBB for GA setup. Since the Airport listing is filled via dump from within FS9/X, it's easy to keep that list updated as you install new or updated scenery.

I then run the generated traffic file through AI Flight Planner. That way, I can use the Subset tool to make sure that, for example, the only place I'm going to see GA that has UK-based textures on them are in flights in and out of the UK. Don't need good ol' G-AKSI showing up landing in California and flying in from Vegas.
    For repaints, I generally prefer generics without registrations.

I figure if you can isolate UK airports in the dumped airport list and save those in a new one, you can save yourself the extra step in AIFP. Cutting the aircraft list down to the titles of those with certain registrations isn't much of a problem.

Since I'm running two flavors of GA AI, business aircraft and private aircraft, I've generated an exclusion list for large airports since I figure that most of those are very unwelcoming to small, slow traffic clogging up approach and departure queues.

https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/th...1/#post-792539

If this file is parsed after the actual airport file, TDBB will disregard the airports listed in it.

Members who have read this thread: 0