Windows 7 - Page 3

View Poll Results: Which Windows platform are you using?

Voters
197. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vista

3 1.52%
  • Win7

116 58.88%
  • Win8

7 3.55%
  • Win10

76 38.58%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Windows 7

I guess we should not be too surprised that the forum dedicated to FSX has more W7 users that W10 users, since the two products (FSX and W7) were released within 2 years of each other.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Um, 3 years... FSX and Vista were released the same year, 2006.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Didn't quite escape.
    True, but Vista deserved all the hate it got. Yes they fixed most of the massive problems, but when it came out, it was unusable for a massive number of people.

I have run FSX on XP, Vista32, Vista64 (which was surprisingly stable and usable!), 7, 8 and now 10. I've had no significant problems on any of them - apart from the odd update that has broken the sim, or the OS, on pretty much every version.

Ian P.

A circa 2013 clean installation of Windows 7/64 (forked out a bit more and got the Ultimate edition) with FSX & Acceleration on a Core2Duo system that's been running smoothly ever since (I have upgraded the CPU, memory, hdd and graphics card though).

My next PC will probably be a Intel i7, but I plan on installing the same windows I have; until Windows 7 isn't supported any more. :\

I have computers with XP; Win7 Pro; and Win10 all running FSX. For some reason my Win 7 Pro refuses to successfully upgrade to SP1, which would be useful in some instances.

I still use Win 7, but more because I'm old fashioned, and Win 7 is the devil I know, rather than because it's particularly superior
    in any way.

From what I read, the only real problem with Win 10 is it's forced upgrade policy. As I remember reading, Win 10 Preview, which
    did not have this policy, was regarded as superior in every way over Win 7 for general game playing.

But as far as staying with Win 7 for a new build (if you're even able to find a Win 7 disc or download of any sort by that time),
    I thought I read that all new motherboards supporting the new Intel 8th gen Coffee Lake CPU's wouldn't work with Win 7 or earlier
    OS's. I don't know about motherboards with AMD CPU sockets.

Is that true?

- Rob

While I still Fly FSX (mainly because Instant Scenery 3 doesn't work with P3D_V4), P3D_V4 is my main Sim. Win7 was a good OS for me, but when I went to Win10 and P3D went 64bit it seemed to be a perfect match. However about a month into Win10 and things went awry (none of which I can remember now), but it caused me to dump 10 and go back to Win7. The change in P3D was startling in a bad way. It was as though I had just purchased FSX on my old system and it was almost unflyable. Nothing I did, with help from folks who tried their best to figure out what was going on, did any good and I had to relent and try Win10 one more time. It was like night and day. . .everything smoothed back out again and I would never even consider going to Win7 again.

I known there are Win7 users flying P3D_V4 saying "that had nothing to do with the OS". . . .there is a saying in the community when it comes to setting up addons and Sim settings. . ."What works for one persons system may not always work for another". . .I would paraphrase that and say. . ."An OS that works with one persons tweaks and settings rarely, if ever works for another". Win10 proved itself and since that second go-around I haven't had any problems with the OS (that couldn't be found and easily corrected).
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    I thought I read that all new motherboards supporting the new Intel 8th gen Coffee Lake CPU's wouldn't work with Win 7 or earlier
    OS's. I don't know about motherboards with AMD CPU sockets.

Is that true?

- Rob
    New hardware might not work with Win7 if compatible drivers aren’t available. Mind you, drivers for XP aren’t written any more either, so trying Win7 on the latest hardware is suck it and see. Some people have it running on the latest gear, some find they can’t. BTW, Coffee Lake? Who comes up with these names? Must be smokin’ somethin’.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Falcon sane words indeed re O/S and sims. My experience exactly. The only tweak I have come across that worked for me was not a sim tweak but a graphics driver change and I stumbled upon that by accident going between MS and HP, that driver tweak removed the bottle neck between the CPU and the GPU ( I have a HP Machine with all intel bits). While I am ready to move across to P3D and therefore Win10 as my current rig is well getting a bit old now (like me) I am severely constrained in this part of the world with internet download capacity (we have to use and rely on mobile wireless access not cable) and changing service provider does not fix the problem.

Your comments re what worked are duly noted for future reference.

Yep I could download it onto a hard drive but my current employer is a major competitor to LM so that would draw the IT crabs real quick if I took to downloading GB's of stuff from LM. Sigh.

Still I think Win7 is very stable and the corporate desktop platforms I use (plus the specialty stuff all big corporates use) are all Win7 based where I am as well, no change to Win10 foreseen either, so I think Win7 is going to be around for quite a while and MS are not going to shift the big players and corporate users onto WIN10 very easily at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Beans View Post
    You guys that are still running Win7 do know that MS have been sneaking the Win10 telemetry stuff into Win7 don't you ?
    If you keep your Win7 fully updated MS are spying on you guy too.
    I found that it was pushing my cpu usage by 40%, so-

Using Spybot Anti Beacon, turned off all that dreck. https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Beans View Post
    You guys that are still running Win7 do know that MS have been sneaking the Win10 telemetry stuff into Win7 don't you ?
    If you keep your Win7 fully updated MS are spying on you guy too.

Not if we did the NickN Bible instal !

Some of us are smart. I don't have a single process or task running in the background unless it relates directly to running FSX. (My Simulator ONLY does FSX - nothing else)

See here for more info: http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-...opic46211.html

It's a long read - but if you're serious about simming - it's the only read you need to get up to speed, and lead.

Good luck with that; "Windows is performing essential tasks to keep your system safe."

LOL. (Sorry I am upside down)

free image host
    Last edited by Ganter; May 12th, 2018 at 13:35.
    Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

Members who have read this thread: 0