Windows 7 - Page 2

View Poll Results: Which Windows platform are you using?

Voters
197. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vista

3 1.52%
  • Win7

116 58.88%
  • Win8

7 3.55%
  • Win10

76 38.58%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7

SOH-CM-2023
    Win 8.1 Enterprise on main 6 core confuter, laptop W10 upgraded from 8.1. Both run FS9; FSX SP2 on main & FSX + A on laptop. Wifes laptop likewise. Old confuter not internet connected Win 7, but rarely used as takes ages to light up. Occasional hiccups on W10 but seem now to be sorted (touch wood). Must admit laptop only for cross checking work from main.
    Keith

Win7 Pro 64bit. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Just FTR, running P3Dv4.2, FSX-E (soon to be nuked!), 4 flavors of FS9 all heavily customised, Rise Of Flight and a test version of FSW.
    All run on their own drives, as do several Race Sims.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Windows 10 Pro 64. My only problem that seems to depend which was the wind blows is to weather the OS recognises that I have an optical drive connected. In my case a Pioneer BDR, but from researching it seems to be a common W10 problem. Have tried all the suggested fixes and the only thing that seems to work is weather or not the meteorological conditions are correct at any given nanosecond.

Blog Entries
    Have Win 7 Pro and Win 10 Pro. Since I like the Win7 Pro interface more I use it for FS9 and FSX, but X-Plane is on Win 10.
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

Same as Wombat,

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit running FSX SP2 with Acc.

Dedicated Flight Sim only PC.

Get occasional Updates by notification and careful study of what they are and what they'll do!

It ain't bust so it ain't getting fixed anytime soon. When I go P3D (unless something better comes along) we'll have another think about things.
    Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

Duel Boot: Vista Ultimate 64 bit / Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

I run FSX on Vista and P3Dv3 on Windows 7 (separate drives). Since some of my favorite FS Dreamteam airports (KFLL home airport) no longer work on Vista I've moved them to Windows 7.

I have Windows 10 but after taking a look at the interface I decided it wasn't for me. Too many icons, too little control over the way it looks.

Both Flightsim computers are running Windows 10, No issues running the sims, but hate when an update messes up the display and network settings.

I run FSX Boxed, FSX SE, P3Dv4 and X-plane 11.
    On the mail flightsim computer the internet connection is only used for multiplayer flying and updating AIRAC cycles.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

PC: 10 Pro x64 + Arch Linux
    HP Laptop: 10 Home x64
    Thinkpad: 10 Pro x86 + Arch Linux

Win 10 64bit, no issues.

i7-4770K 4.4 Ghz - ASUS z87 PRO - Corsair H100i - 16 gig Kingston Beast DDR3 2166 Mhz - Gainward GTX 1070 GS GLH - CX 750M PSU - CoolerMaster HAF X case

Didn't quite escape.
    Desktop 10 Home x64.
    Laptop 10 Home x64.

No problems to report.

Ian P.

Three desktops here too. Xp on the oldest one, for games that won't run on anything newer. Windows 7 pro 64, for my flight sim main machine, and Windows 10 on the experimental machine with Dovetail Flight Sim World.
    LOL
    Sue

Win 7 64 bit.FSX Gold.

Anthin.

Related as I'm about to purchase a new machine and it will obviously come pre-loaded with W10, current W7 64 user. Worth switching out or stay with loaded?
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Victory103 View Post
    Related as I'm about to purchase a new machine and it will obviously come pre-loaded with W10, current W7 64 user. Worth switching out or stay with loaded?
    I have both and like both...I do prefer Win 7 for FSX because I like the interface a little more. The problem with Win10 is the updates sometimes cause problems with other areas of Windows. I was not really affected in using FSX with Win 10 but when I got a new drive I chose Win 7 Pro and just moved FSX and FS9 over to that drive. I still use X-Plane on Win 10 and have had no problems.
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

PC home built: Win 10 Pro. Main Flightsim rig. Have FSX installed on it's own HDD, but almost never use it anymore. P3Dv3 & v4 on SSD, with scenery on it's own 3TB HDD

2 Laptops, both with Win 10 Home. (one is wife's.) I use my laptop for all mail and online work.

Flightsims work well, just need a better video card.

Wife's is real slow, can't figure what she does, as she's done this with 3 different laptops. I have same model, with 4-5 times the programs, and mine works well. EXCEPT: lately, for about last month or so, all three units, with no warning whatsoever, will lockup totally. No Blue or black screens, just suddenly everything quits working. If a video is playing, it just stops. Mouse always just stops moving. Hard shutdown, restart, and they are each good for rest of day. Other than that, no problems.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Win7 64bit,, FSX-A (Gold). It will do for a long time - 7 years old rig still running perfectly (HP). Once you strip all the crap (Programs you dont use or care for) out of the system, etc, it works fine so only MS updates I ever need a so called security patches or updates to the various versions of netware required by FSX. A major international aerospace company I work for are of a similar view all their corporate systems are Win 7 + Oracle with all the serious others stuff not MS you need for aerospace engineering work, etc, they have no interest in going to Win10 that tells you everything really, not a serious platform for high end, high volume users who need stability and reliabiity.

Will not be going to P3D as that means a whole new PC or Win10 (don't like it, got it and ditched it). Most of my on board applications are not MS, in fact only MS products used are the O/S and FSX all the others were deleted long ago for open source stuff that works better for me (I am also a Linux user/fan from way back).

As they if it ain't broke don't fix it. But I am up for a new video card shortly which will make FSX even better.

I am a Windows 7 user.
    So far the poll has more Windows 7 users than Windows 10 users by about 20%.
    What I find interesting is that for over 6 months I got a daily e-mail from Microsoft saying they would automatically convert me over to Windows 10 for free. I never clicked the "Install Now" link.
    There must have been many of us who were happy with Windows 7 and did not want to try Windows 10 even if it didn't cost anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyjo View Post
    So far the poll has more Windows 7 users than Windows 10 users by about 20%.
    But 186 (so far) is an almost insignificant sample size when you consider that most days this week there were 3-4000 concurrent FSX users on Steam (https://steamspy.com/app/314160#tab-ccu). There are probably far more non-Steam users out here so the number would quite possibly be at least double that.

Most people who criticise Windows 10 have either: 1 - installed it over Windows 7 as an update (clean installs seem to have far fewer issues), or 2 - never tried it and believe all the bad press it gets, or 3 - have tried it and didn't take the time to familiarise themselves with it and find out how to set it up properly. Without using any third-party apps you can set up the GUI so that it's almost identical to the Windows 7 GUI - you don't have to have tiles and you can have what's essentially the old Windows 7 Start menu. You can easily turn off anything that you think may be invading your privacy. Many see the "enforced" updates as a big issue but you can set them so that ONLY critical or security updates are accepted.

I was a big advocate of Windows 7 for some time after Windows 10 came out but decided to try it with my new build. I did my homework and went for a clean install (which I think is key to avoiding many problems) and took my time setting things up and now wouldn't consider going back to Windows 7. I wouldn't criticise anyone who's happy with Windows 7 but I would say don't believe all the negative hype about Windows 10. Some people do have strange problems with Windows 10 but, at least in most cases, they're often just down to finger trouble or a lack of familiarity with the new OS.

Interesting to read the numbers, but leaving it at that.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

The Flight Sim machine is still running Win7. I have a laptop running Win10, and another running Linux (Ubuntu 16.04). Win10 is ok, for a Windows OS. I like it better than 7, up to a point... The point being privacy and being in control of my own computer (hence the Linux machine).
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

For my Flight Simulator machine I am still running the old Windows 7 laptop and after a hard drive change last year (two of them) it is running again just fine.

For all of my other work I have multiple machines running Windows 10
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

You guys that are still running Win7 do know that MS have been sneaking the Win10 telemetry stuff into Win7 don't you ?
    If you keep your Win7 fully updated MS are spying on you guy too.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Beans View Post
    You guys that are still running Win7 do know that MS have been sneaking the Win10 telemetry stuff into Win7 don't you ?
    If you keep your Win7 fully updated MS are spying on you guy too.
    Can't speak for anyone else but I disabled auto updates about 5-6 years ago, since then I've been very careful about what does and does not get installed.
    "Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee"

Windows 7-64 Pro
    I find it interesting how many still have 7 since it took a lot of effort, in my case at least, not to be auto converted to 10.
    I still can't believe MS did not receive more backlash with their shove it down your throat tactics.
    I have no idea which is best, I just wanted to stick with the known rather than find out the hard way about any issues regarding gaming.
    By the time more info was available, for me it had become a matter of principle to keep 7

Members who have read this thread: 0