comptuer constantly crashes - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: comptuer constantly crashes

Over50
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    MK..no problem in asking. I did indeed try it both ways...Shutting if off in nvidia control panel, shutting it off in cfs.config, and just to be sure, I yanked each card and ran it alone. Lot of work but had to know..Same results..Tomorrow I am going to try placing garlic all over the desktop case and put mirrors all around the area with candles...you know, ward off the evil spirits...hahahha. Yes it has come to that...hahahaha
    Based on my experience, and as suggested by Pol, after you uninstall OFF, also search the registry (regedit) for [OffManager] and remove it.

The other folders/files to look for and delete if still present after the uninstall of OFF would be Documents and Settings\userxxx\Application Data\Microsoft\CFSWII Over Flanders Fields.

Joker

uninstall process

Ok Gentlemen;
    I will look very carefully for the other files that may be left over after the uninstall. Thanks. Will try this evening and report.
    Steve

Over50
    Ok Gentlemen;
    I will look very carefully for the other files that may be left over after the uninstall. Thanks. Will try this evening and report.
    Steve
    I should have specifically mentioned - and forgot to - that I uninstalled both OFF and CFS3 because of changes I'd made to the default settings as per the suggested "tweaks" in this forum without saving/recording the default settings. When the changes didn't produce what I was hoping for it was then I realized I didn't know what the default values were...

Being new to the game I wasn't aware both CFS3 and OFF can be reset to default values via buttons in Workshops - but - whether resetting OFF and CFS3 in this manner or reinstalling them fresh when I restarted OFF my previously remapped joystick and keyboard settings were still present. This is where Pol interjected to make sure OFFManage was not still in the registry plus the last folder in the Documents and Settings string I posted.

Joker

Experts feel free to jump in here...

Thanks Over50...... I usually capture all these forum hints for reference...Maybe that's why I crash...Too many notes on the desktop..hahahaha.

HERE IS WHAT I TRIED TONIGHT:in this order:

Removed Logitech Camera from USB, result..crash
    Removed Logitech software, result...crash
    Booted with NO STARTUP items, this also shut off some items in Services, result...crash
    Booted up in Diagnostic Mode, of course no sound here, no joystick control, got warning from sim saying "there are no sound devices"

I mean there was basically nothing running, no virus software NOTHA! result...CRASH

(*^$%#@@^%$&^%&...that is short for Swearing!!!!!!

What the hell is left? Computer runs great otherwise in all other sims, etc. I would go and buy a new graphics card if I knew that was the problem but I am not convinced of that.

Here is the last thing I can try...REINSTALL THE SIM. Only thing I have not tried. I will first do a very thorough uninstall as per all of your suggestions even looking in the registry...

Hmmm, maybe one last try with the brand new patch though..Lemme do that first. Sigh....big sigh. p.s. my MOBO was not mentioned anywhere. It is a evga Nvidia NForce 780i SLI should that make any difference..It doesn't seem to bother the other sims...

Joker

Sorry

This has got to be excruciatingly boring for you folks..I apologize in advance for all this...I am thinking though that POV and the others are scratching their heads. I agree with the othersabout Super fast feedback here from them and others as well. Thanks all.

I just installed the patch, then flew for "EXACTLY" 15 minutes before ....crash and lockup of screen. Now have rebooted yet again and will remove the program. Install it fresh tomorrow.

Man it was a fun and flawless 15 minutes though!

Joker

hardware

Is it because I am running 2-gigs ram? I may be pushed to going to 4 gigs and a 280 graphics card if that would do it...but still not convinced..other sims fine...

Should I re-download the 3.1 CFS3 patch? Maybe the one I got was corrupted? I think as you can see, I am shooting for straws now.

Flame On!
    Do you have a screen saver enabled? I'm just grasping at straws here.

CJ
    ABIT IN9 32X-MAX nForce 680i SLI
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz
    OCZ Platinum Revision 2 4GB (4x1GB) DDR2 800
    EVGANvidiaGeForce8800GTX768MbGDDR

Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 Sound Card

Parky
    Also grasping at straws here, but check your processes and see if "LVCOMSer" is still there. It's part of that Logitech crap, and can sometimes be a bit hard to eliminate through standard uninstall routines. It did show up in your crash log just prior to the AVG and Security Center stuff. If it's still running.....kill it, do a test run in OFF and see if there's any difference at all.

CJ....I think they may have been the last two straws??? :help:

Praying a bit won't hurt.....but that's definitely the final straw....

Cheers,

Parky

catch22
    Maybe your registry's screwed Joker ? Before reinstalling and after deleting all associated OBD/CFS3 files (as per the FAQ's) and using the search function to locate any remnants you may have missed, also delete anything related directly to OBD and CFS3 in your registry. But be sure to back up your registry before doing in case you stuff up !

Registry cleaner "Ccleaner" is also very good and free if mucking about with the registry isn't your thing.

I've found (by bitter experience I may add, something a bit like yours infact ) a really clean reinstall does wonders. It's amazing how little conflicts here and there with remnant files can really cause problems. Of course it could be something else entirely but it's worth a shot given your current frustration at not being able to fully enjoy this wonderful sim. But if your computer blows up don't blame me lol.

Joker

all points taken

haha. Don't worry, won't hold you to blame if I blow up my puter..lol

I just ordered two more gigs of Mushkin RAM for ya ya's but my existing 2GB is probably fine...Hey 4 can't hurt right?

I will look for LVCOMSER and see if it is there and if it can be killed. I wll also look intently at the registry. Will get cccleaner too.

Funny thing. I just went into CFS3 and immediately on entering got message "configuration file is out of date" That was directly after the new patch..Related or unrelated, I dunno. More later. Thanks guys. Can't wait to fly with you all sometime

Joker

CJ's STraws

Camel Jockey:
    VERY interesting. I did indeed have a screen savor (3d text saying Check Your Six) hehehe and it was set to come on in 10 minutes. I am going to hold off a bit on the uninstall and test a few other things when my new RAM comes in as well. I have not shut off any screen savers and any power management items. Good suggestion. More later.
    Steve

rabu
    You have original CFS3 disks? You can fly in CFS3 with no problem?

Over50
    haha. Don't worry, won't hold you to blame if I blow up my puter..lol

I just ordered two more gigs of Mushkin RAM for ya ya's but my existing 2GB is probably fine...Hey 4 can't hurt right?

I will look for LVCOMSER and see if it is there and if it can be killed. I wll also look intently at the registry. Will get cccleaner too.

Funny thing. I just went into CFS3 and immediately on entering got message "configuration file is out of date" That was directly after the new patch..Related or unrelated, I dunno. More later. Thanks guys. Can't wait to fly with you all sometime
    What seems to be a constant through everything you've tried is the time interval from the OFF 3 game start to system crash but doesn't exist in any other games. Like I know what I'm talking about....but...could this be a check sum/timing error peculiar to OFF 3 coding?

EDIT: Another thought. Try running OFF 3 unpatched to see if the game will run w/o crashing.

James "Taffy" Jones
    Also, check your system BIOS to make sure that everything is kosher (memory timings, cpu settings, PEG link mode, etc.).

Polovski
    Well done for persevering Joker.

Just to clarify, CFS3 install is nothing to do with the OFF install.

You upgraded your NVidia video drivers I think? So CFS3 will say that message straight away. You would need to run CFS3Config (from the CFS3 install folder) to reconfigure the video settings after any video driver update.

(same for OFF).

One thing - when you get your new RAM try removing all your old RAM, putting the new stuff in ONLY, and then fly. If that works could be a dodgy RAM stick in your old stuff.

Joker

Not giving up just yet

Came home for lunch hour...Tried some other things.
    BTW, yes have original CFS3 disks, see my log below. And as far as the BIOS, I really am unsure of determining what is correct or incorrect there. Timing error for just OFF? Could be but I am not a programming expert. Here is what I tried:

Boot up CFS3=played for uneventful 20 minutes. (there goes lunch)
    Then started up OFF= played for 4 minutes...Locked UP.
    Then rebooted computer and started CFS3 again= locked up in 2 minutes, almost like OFF caused it?

Then took a look at the error log and noticed that Creative Services For CDROM was there at the error log. I researched it and shut it off in "Services" but that should not be it because I have previously locked up after shutting everything off in diagnostic mode. I will try to get the error log posted up here.

Joker

attached error log

Don't know if I was able to do this but I think I attached an error log.

ivanmoe
    Don't know if I was able to do this but I think I attached an error log.
    Joker, we need to know what's in the error message. Beneath this message, I'm going to post a JPG that was cut from a larger screen capture of my desktop. If you double left-click on the red-icon error message in event viewer, another box will open that's similar to the left-hand image in my JPG. If you click on the copy to clipboard icon beneath the up/down arrows in the window that opens for you, and then open Notepad and click Paste, the message will appear, one similar to the right-hand image in my JPG. Name and save the Notepad file, and then copy/paste the results into a message in this thread.

Attachment 76536

Sorry if the explanation isn't clearer; I can't really communicate effectively without using my hands.

Joker

cut and paste

Sure, I will do that when I get home tonight.
    Steve

Polovski
    Getting closer Steve !

Yeah if you rebooted too then nothing in OFF would have broken CFS3. The ONLY way I could imagine that is if you somehow mixed the install folder and doesn't sound like it.
    So for some reason your PC does not like running CFS3 itself either.

Check the error as ivanmoe says.

Try memory when it comes.

Joker

ERROR Information Posted

Event Type: Error
    Event Source:
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 0
    Date: 2/20/2009
    Time: 11:53:31 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: STEVE-GAMING
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: 1.
    Data:
    0000: 3f 3f d1 2a 3f e8 92 2d ??*?’-
    0008: d6 3e d9 22 88 9a f7 c5 >"ˆš
    0010: 2f 2f c1 3a f3 f1 82 3d //:‚=
    0018: cd 0d 48 4e f8 f9 8a 35 .HNŠ5
    0020: 3e 1a 62 13 57 2c a0 0d >.b.W, .
    0028: a6 83 86 02 cb c9 ba 05 ƒ†.ɺ.
    0030: de 99 6e 9d 34 d2 a6 64 ™n4Ҧd
    0038: 18 a9 55 4b b3 02 d6 92 .UK.’
    0040: d6 12 e2 ed e3 54 0d 92 .T.’
    0048: 1a 2c cd e2 54 56 25 9a .,TV%š
    0050: 6e 6f 81 7a bb b1 c2 7d noz}
    0058: 2e bd 4b c1 ba b9 ca 75 .Ku

77Scout
    The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer.
    Hmmm...remote computer...are you on a network?

Joker

remote computer

No Scout......no network. Just my single computer and a wireless modem for my laptop upstairs.
    Steve

James "Taffy" Jones
    Just a wild stab as I don't have a wireless network, but could your crashes be caused by your wireless modem polling your upstairs computer (or vice versa) every 15 minutes or so?

Joker

wireless polling

Hi James;
    Good thought....It keeps bringing me back round circle to the fact that all other sims keep on working fine....This weekend will be the big re-install though (provided my new RAM comes in, want to try that first)..wouldn't it be funny if it was that..The simplest measure to try and I have not done it yet..hahahha

Does seem to effect CFS3 as well so I wonder if things were mixed up somehow...You know, many many months ago, I insatlled CFS3 to give it another try, didn't like it and uninstalled it..Perhaps there was something leftover...

Now when I go into regidit, can anyone give me tips on exactly what to ditch and HOW to ditch those files? I realize I should be very careful while poking around in there.

I also read Pov's suggestion to someone else about lowing the sound card acceleration..That is also a good tip.

You know, maybe, MAYBE someday I will have the pleasure of dogfighting with you folks....Heck I have been flying these things since 1984!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0