Well Pardon My French

Thread: Well Pardon My French

Well Pardon My French

For what I said when today's project worked. Check out the following pic.

I took out the standard panel backgrounds and made a very large gauge to replace it. This "gauge" is 1440x900 the same as my in game CFS2 resolution. The rainbow bar bottom left is something I made to check for resizing. In GIMP I drew ten vertical bars each different colors and each one pixel wide. I then repeated it a few times. In the game (above) there are eight so only two got blended away.

And now I'm really thinking. I have always wanted the 2d panel to drop as the tail lifts on takeoff. Yea, gauges move. Turbulance maybe? The gauge could read an ini file at start up (I've already done this) and one could adjust the behavior. If anyway has any other ideas I'm all ears.

The gauge is attached if anyone wants to play with it. Be aware the artwork is off the internet (been cleaning it up all day). Guess I've got some coding to do.

Sam
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails L4HiRes.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Oh yes, in the panel.cfg I've got --

[Window00]
    file=Val_6401.BMP
    file=Val1.BMP
    file_1024=V291,295,59,55al1.BMP
    size_mm=1440,900
    position=4
    visible=1
    ident=MAIN_PANEL
    sizeable=1
    render_3d_window=1
    window_size= 1.000, 1.000
    window_pos= 0.000, 0.000

gauge00=aldL4!bg, 0, 0 , 1440,900
    gauge01=F4F4_Wildcat!Airspeed-Indicator, 538,616,73,73
    gauge02=F4F4_Wildcat!Tachometer, 616,616,74,74
    gauge03=F4F4_Wildcat!Directional-Gyro, 699,629,74,74
    gauge04=F4F4_Wildcat!Altimeter, 777, 618, 77,77
    gauge05=F4F4_Wildcat!Cylinder-Temperature, 857, 616, 77,77

Oops -- don't know how file_1024 got set like that. Point being just change the background bmps to a name which does not exist.

And ...

I just got word back from Captain Kurt on the new gauge I made him and it's bad news. It works fine on my machine but not on his. This is one of the nightmare scenarios that coders can run into. CFS2 is very lean on error messages so with what's called a runtime error like this one there is no methodical way to track the problem down. I am mentioning this here because it means the attached "gauge" above may not work for you either. If it does not, Yea, I would like to know and include your Win version if you respond.

Captain, I've got a few ideas but they are only guesses. I'm going to have to find newer Windows version machines to test on (Arg!). But Captain, worry not. One of the few things I'm cocky about is my coding abilities. I wrote serious "c" code at work for many years. True, I'm rusty but it comes back so fast. What I'm saying is I've been here before -- I will fix this.

To the thread topic I'm curious what resolution the "gauge" background actually displayed. 0.8 X 1440 = 1152 (coincidence?). Short of writing the code to just ask Windows, I guess I'll have to extend the rainbow bar across the screen and start counting!

Sam

Looking to be a bmp format issue. The way I once exported them no longer works with the newer GIMP version. Whew! I was worried it was some deep compiler/version thingy like issues with msvcrt.dll (MS Visual c Runtime) -- there not all the same.

Sam

Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Members who have read this thread: 0