This should be fun-- I think I may be in over my head.

Thread: This should be fun-- I think I may be in over my head.

CW3SF

This should be fun-- I think I may be in over my head.

I play both OFF and sub sims along with lockon and civ4--- so for some good Saturday eve fun when all are eager to learn about other stuff we will drop buy the sub folks a mention just how much fun this is and give it a go.

sandbagger
    Thanks for that and good luck - I hope it's well received.

blue781
    I play both OFF and sub sims along with lockon and civ4--- so for some good Saturday eve fun when all are eager to learn about other stuff we will drop buy the sub folks a mention just how much fun this is and give it a go.
    Good luck getting anything thats not really silent hunter 3 or 4 across to Neal and his boys at subsim forum.. anyway its worth a shot.. although i have tended to notice most of them are more Il2 folks.. but we all need to get the word out about this amazing sim!!

Cheers! :amen:

James "Taffy" Jones
    Good luck posting at the subsim forum about OFF. There are a couple of ROF fanboyz over there who took over a whole thread about OFF and turned it into a rant about how OFF is "merely" a mod of an old and buggy game and that no one should have to pay $50 for a "mod." Some claim to have flown OFF1 and 2, but I don't believe they put any serious effort into them.

ROF probably won't even be out until next year (if then). Meanwhile, we have BHAH--indisputably the best WWI flying sim in existence to date! :woot:

ivanmoe
    Quote Originally Posted by James "Taffy" Jones View Post
    Good luck posting at the subsim forum about OFF. There are a couple of ROF fanboyz over there who took over a whole thread about OFF and turned it into a rant about how OFF is "merely" a mod of an old and buggy game and that no one should have to pay $50 for a "mod." Some claim to have flown OFF1 and 2, but I don't believe they put any serious effort into them.

ROF probably won't even be out until next year (if then). Meanwhile, we have BHAH--indisputably the best WWI flying sim in existence to date! :woot:
    So what's the sum total of flyable aircraft in ROF? :whistle:

James "Taffy" Jones
    I dunno--two?? :faint:

ivanmoe
    Quote Originally Posted by James "Taffy" Jones View Post
    I dunno--two?? :faint:
    I think that there's a SPAD XIII and a Fokker DVII, but its hard to say.

The developers are Russian, and are a little spare in their handling of information.

It's my understanding, flawed as that might be, that other aircraft will be made available for sale after the game is released.

What's a little odd to me about the situation, given the paucity of info, is the misconceptions surrounding their work.

For example, a lot of people think that it's based on the IL2 engine, which simply isn't the case.

Siggi
    It started on the IL2 engine, but then they dumped it for one they made themselves (or got from somewhere else).

They've been very cagey about a dynamic campaign and made noises about the MP. Translated = there won't be a dynamic campaign.

And only two flyables, right at the wrong end of the war (logic should have dictated to start with early birds, delayed gratification and all that jazz).

I was going to buy it, but after OFF I'm not going to bother. What could possibly be the point?

UK_Widowmaker
    It will never amount to anything, mark my words!..2 planes?..one of those is ****e!...... waste of Space

77Scout
    ROF may not amount to much out of the box, but neither did CSF3! Who knows, it may turn out to be a good starting point for a brilliant makover such as BHaH has been for CSF3. Someday...maybe. I am not going to knock it, but same as Siggi see no reason to rush out to buy it when it hits the store shelves.

James "Taffy" Jones
    RoF may be fantastic whenever it is released, but BHaH is fantastic now!

OTOH, I will probably purchase RoF when it comes out (assuming my computer can handle it), on the principle that if enough purchasers show an interest in WWI flying sims, maybe more developers will show an interest in developing them! Right now we are only a tiny niche market, so fighting amongst ourselves about whether OFF or RoF is or will be the better sim is counterproductive.

There is certainly room enough now for two WWI flying sims--the more the better!

Members who have read this thread: 0