Piglets XB-35.
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Piglets XB-35.

Blog Entries

Piglets XB-35.

I figured i may as well get this started.. I'll use this thread to update everyone on my progress as we move along...
    To get things rolling, i thought i'd start with a little entertainment, that should help clear things up in the technological/political fiasco that surrounded this plane.. I hope you all enjoy..

Hi Pam,

When I was a very young person in 1946 and lived at the time near Hawthorne and a number of time got to see one of the flying Wings take off was always black all over the runway after the wing went past. In fact in those days the runway was part of Hawthorne Blvd. In order to take off the Blvd was brock off with wire gates in order for the big planes to take off. As long as I live I will always remember those times.

Wow.
    What a great story and a great visionary.

Thanks for putting this up.

Anthin.

Blog Entries
    So I jumped back into work with both feet at o god its early in the morning this morning. Seems i left the FDE a mess. all the numbers were there, but they didnt work.. I think its time to quit for the day but ya know, its like breathing. Its just not that easy to quit.. .. I was able to get a lot under control, but some old deficiencies in my knowledge have popped back up to haunt me. The plane has a problem and i'm lost.. The image below tells the entire story..
    Max RPM is set to 2700
    Maax MP is set to 50in..

please bear with me as i offer my forhead to the table top as a sacrifice to make this work ::LOL::...

Cockpit screen shots

Could you post 3 screen shots of what the pilot, co-pilot & engineers station look like in FSX..?
    Just to get an idea of what the layouts look like.

Blog Entries
    the curved arms above the copilot asnd too the right of the pilot are the throttles..

Quote Originally Posted by Taco View Post
    Hi Pam,

When I was a very young person in 1946 and lived at the time near Hawthorne and a number of time got to see one of the flying Wings take off was always black all over the runway after the wing went past. In fact in those days the runway was part of Hawthorne Blvd. In order to take off the Blvd was brock off with wire gates in order for the big planes to take off. As long as I live I will always remember those times.
    Sounds like when the Swiss air force uses some of their runways that come out of the mountain cave/hangars. Roads actually cross the runway and they have what looks like railroad gates to stop traffic!

Oh boy, the XB-35! I have the N9M which works great in FSX and have longed for the full scale realization! With all the X planes the Air Force Museum has it is a pity not one of the large wings (XB-35 or 49) was saved. Same thing about the P6M for the Naval Museum. Even textureless, I'm already loving the VC!

Blog Entries
    Heh Josh?? Where may i purchase the N9M?? I would like to see how its characteristics match with my own.. I'm trying to decide if i need to lessen the weather-vaning at all, or if i have it fairly close..

Members +
    Blog Entries
    I just picked up the file zip; I'll see what we've got, what it needs, and report back. The N9M! I should zip that over into X, gotta have a trainer.

Blog Entries
    yeahh, getting accustomed to the earth moving under you while your wing climbs the inside of an invisible tube takes a wee bit of getting used too ::lol::

No lie, if there is any class of virtual aircraft that could cause airsickness, this, the M9M and the HO-229 are it..

OH, Lazarus.. You'll find that the version you downloaded is slower than me ( and I'm really slow thexse days ).. Hold tight and have fun. still flies beautifully, but i'll have a new fde out as soon as i figure out what i'm doing wrong in tht problem up above..

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Wilco, Pam. OK, this is what we've got...Attachment 57728Attachment 57729Attachment 57730Attachment 57731Attachment 57732Attachment 57733Attachment 57734

The bomb doors are there, Tim had them on a visibility condition, various light controlled jettison conditions. I saved the base line with the pairs of doors as Tim set them up.
    Are these rollup 'garage doors', like the B-24's?
    So, this one, I moved all the bomb doors onto 'tail hook', put in a tailhook cfg section, for simplicity. The interior is also there, just changed the materials to make it visible in the sim. Its .75 of a meg bigger, runs very smoothly.
    The VC and interior- similar models, are untextured, and grey in colour. I can isolate them from the model. None of the interior animations are done. I think you can go from MDL to .OBJ files, then to 3DS. From there, I guess it can be manipulated, viz: texture mapping and animated bits. I think?
    I can assign a swatch, and I maybe put a basic dynamic VC poly into the VC model.

After doing all those A12A Avenger 11 paints I just gotta have this one...

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    Heh Josh?? Where may i purchase the N9M?? I would like to see how its characteristics match with my own.. I'm trying to decide if i need to lessen the weather-vaning at all, or if i have it fairly close..
    I think I got it over at Flightsim.com or Rikoooo. No purchase needed. It's also a Piglet Product. (It might even be here.) It's in the FS2004 section wherever it is. (A quick Google search should find it pretty quick.) Works perfectly fine in FSX Gold except you need to adjust the display size or you get a giant black bar across the bottom of the screen. It flies great just as the big version should! Can't wait to see it! As far as handling they should be nearly identical as the XB-35 is just a scaled up N9M. The test pilots stated as such. Not sure about asking for permission since they're both Tim's work, but you could use the .air file from the N9M in the XB-35 if it's okay to do so.

the curved arms above the copilot asnd too the right of the pilot are the throttles..
    Interesting throttle configuration.
    Any chance of seeing pics of the gauges..? To get an idea of style and whats been done or needs work..?

Flightsim: n-9mb.zip

I just checked my FS9 file storage, and found Tim's N9MB, along with the YB-49! The YB-49 is Paul Clawson's. "yb49pc.zip" https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib...rchid=61697632

Tim's readme says he only uploaded to Flightsim.com and here at the Outhouse. "n-9mb.zip" http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...atid=&lpage=20

There is also a set of repaints that show the three different schemes besides Tim's, used on the four built N-9Ms. "n9mx3.zip"

The repainter does not have his name in the readme, nor do I remember where I got it. I have checked the 4 major sites, including here, and can't find it. There are no restrictions of any kind in the readme, so I should be able to post it here, if wanted.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawk72s View Post
    Interesting throttle configuration.
    Any chance of seeing pics of the gauges..? To get an idea of style and whats been done or needs work..?
    There arent any gauges.. Closest thing we've got to that is the test gauge i got off mudpond years and years ago.. We need someone who can create the gauge models, animate them and code them in xml.. I'm hoping someone here will volunteer, but i also know how busy everyone is, and this is no small job..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Flightsim: n-9mb.zip
    Awesome.. Thanks Bjoern ..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Patterson View Post
    I think I got it over at Flightsim.com or Rikoooo. No purchase needed. It's also a Piglet Product. (It might even be here.) It's in the FS2004 section wherever it is. (A quick Google search should find it pretty quick.) Works perfectly fine in FSX Gold except you need to adjust the display size or you get a giant black bar across the bottom of the screen. It flies great just as the big version should! Can't wait to see it! As far as handling they should be nearly identical as the XB-35 is just a scaled up N9M. The test pilots stated as such. Not sure about asking for permission since they're both Tim's work, but you could use the .air file from the N9M in the XB-35 if it's okay to do so.
    Thanks Josh.. You and Bjoern just made my day. .. I'll have to wait till March to get the Horten 229 as well, but all these little test planes will aid in developing the xb-35.. The Horten never could overcome the stability issues. The N-9m was stable, but still had an exaggerated "falling leaf " behavior.. I really want to investigate that more..
    Pam

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by modelr View Post
    I just checked my FS9 file storage, and found Tim's N9MB, along with the YB-49! The YB-49 is Paul Clawson's. "yb49pc.zip" https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib...rchid=61697632

Tim's readme says he only uploaded to Flightsim.com and here at the Outhouse. "n-9mb.zip" http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...atid=&lpage=20

There is also a set of repaints that show the three different schemes besides Tim's, used on the four built N-9Ms. "n9mx3.zip"

The repainter does not have his name in the readme, nor do I remember where I got it. I have checked the 4 major sites, including here, and can't find it. There are no restrictions of any kind in the readme, so I should be able to post it here, if wanted.
    Theres a yb-49 as well?? My gods you folks are awesome. Mr. Dawson teamed up with Rob Barendrect ( spelling??? ) to do the gauges for the sky unlimited HO-229, but a YB-49?? This is amazing.. Maybe i can finally figure out what actually happened to Glenn Edwards.. .. Thanks Modlr .. Very much appreciated..

Pam

There arent any gauges.. Closest thing we've got to that is the test gauge i got off mudpond years and years ago.. We need someone who can create the gauge models, animate them and code them in xml.. I'm hoping someone here will volunteer, but i also know how busy everyone is, and this is no small job..
    Ouch.
    Do we know of any close-up photos of the instruments..?
    The zerox of the flight manual gives some good info but the pictures just aren't very clear.

Flight manual here:
    http://aviationarchives.blogspot.com...-handbook.html

Members who have read this thread: 161