Piglets XB-35. - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Piglets XB-35.

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    Lazarus's rendition of the N9m departing YMML ...

Edit ...just saw your post, Don ....yep...must have been from here then.....[memory is the first to go]...
    Yep, tell me about it. LOL!!

Gonna try Micks textures on my download of the N9M. Thanks Lazarus.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Members +
    Blog Entries
    just a disclaimer all of the YB-49 models are pretty old, basic and grunchy. Paul's YB is probably the nicest of the lot, but it's very simple - 749 kb after conversion, one draw call, kinda low rez. Julian's YB and YRB have a few more drawcalls, desperately need texture work. They seem a bit more 'greeblied' than Paul's version, the gear is a bit busier, got a hatch and boarding ladder, leading edge slats. The interiors are very basic, as are the VC's.
    that said, all three versions are well in hand, hopefully, everything works and displays when they get in sim.

Have a look at the N9M's control surface animations while you're working it up, just ensure that those are working properly. If not, I try other animation codes. Haven't had a chance to fly it yet.

On the XB-35, I've got the VC model out and isolated, and an interim with a pair of wrap textures applied so the colour can be changed . It looks a bit better. I think I can also swap the VC interior into the external model. This will give a bit more complete looking model at the cost of a few extra KB.
    I'll send along the updated XB-35 to Pam shortly. I'm also agitating for a 'alpha state' in house release so the painters can get at it.

I tried putting Piglets N9M through ModelConvertX and it at least works in P3D v4.1, The animation for the gear, canopy and rudder work but the flaps, elevators, ailerons and propellers do not show any animations. Not sure how to get it to work.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, that sounds like a problem you're on yer own with I'm a vanilla FSX/A, so I've got no idea. Pete at simviation usually fires up these conversions in P3D3/4, they usually seem to run OK; otherwise, I'll take the fifth. Or, a fifth. Single malt.

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    I'll take the fifth. Or, a fifth. Single malt.
    A 'fifth' only works if you're talking gallons...

just a disclaimer all of the YB-49 models are pretty old, basic and grunchy. Paul's YB is probably the nicest of the lot, but it's very simple - 749 kb after conversion, one draw call, kinda low rez. Julian's YB and YRB have a few more drawcalls, desperately need texture work. They seem a bit more 'greeblied' than Paul's version, the gear is a bit busier, got a hatch and boarding ladder, leading edge slats. The interiors are very basic, as are the VC's.
    that said, all three versions are well in hand, hopefully, everything works and displays when they get in sim.

Have a look at the N9M's control surface animations while you're working it up, just ensure that those are working properly. If not, I try other animation codes. Haven't had a chance to fly it yet.

On the XB-35, I've got the VC model out and isolated, and an interim with a pair of wrap textures applied so the colour can be changed . It looks a bit better. I think I can also swap the VC interior into the external model. This will give a bit more complete looking model at the cost of a few extra KB.
    I'll send along the updated XB-35 to Pam shortly. I'm also agitating for a 'alpha state' in house release so the painters can get at it.
    Idon't know if the N9M utilized them but on the XB-35 pushing both rudder pedals together (thereby operating the brakes) also opened both rudders for some airbrake action. (I was reading the pilot manual and it stated to not use the wheel brakes before retracting the gear for this reason.) I would think the N9M would have had all the features that were planed for the full size planes. Could the rudders be hooked up to the spoiler key so they open simultaneously? On a similar note Area51's B2 is just the opposite. Lacking rudder animation but the airbrakes work so maybe they have to be one or the other?

I just tried Lazarus' conversion of the N-9M in P3Dv4.1, and everything works. I did not install the gauges, so none of the click spots in the cockpit work, but the animations are all working. I noticed the prop textures do not show, it just uses the generic ones.

A few screenshots, from Edwards Aux. North field.

I used Mick's textures, converting some to DDS, and leaving some as bmp. I didn't notice any appreciable affect on frames.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screenshot8.jpg   screenshot12.jpg   screenshot9.jpg   screenshot30.jpg   screenshot29.jpg  
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by modelr View Post
    I just tried Lazarus' conversion of the N-9M in P3Dv4.1, and everything works. I did not install the gauges, so none of the click spots in the cockpit work, but the animations are all working. I noticed the prop textures do not show, it just uses the generic ones.
    Nice, does anyone know where I can find Lazarus's conversion?
    Joe Cusick

Members +
    Blog Entries
    post #45
    I thought it should have worked in P3D. For prop textures, just rename a different set of prop textures. Prop 2 is the fast blur. I think.
    (Ssssphhfffffffttttt! Hoooooooffff...Whoa.)

Icon17 Prop Movement with Rudder

While moving the rudders when the engines are dead the left engine prop will turn with the rudders, any one else experiencing this? FSX with acceleration.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    Asus P8Z68 M
    Intel i7-2700
    16 GB of Ram
    GeForce GTX 550 Ti

post #45
    I thought it should have worked in P3D. For prop textures, just rename a different set of prop textures. Prop 2 is the fast blur. I think.
    (Ssssphhfffffffttttt! Hoooooooffff...Whoa.)
    I really should read the earlier posts closer, thanks will try it tonight.
    Joe Cusick

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by airtj View Post
    While moving the rudders when the engines are dead the left engine prop will turn with the rudders, any one else experiencing this? FSX with acceleration.

Ah-ha! Testing that works! OK. I fumduckered. I guess I didn't de-select prop one when I set the rudders, got the wrong animation code on it.

MODEL FILE FOLLOWS

Fixed N-9MB: Attachment 57870

The NLG contact point is wonky. I moved it back under the wheel. It's compressing too much and burying the wheel. Does anybody know what to adjust to eliminate that?
    It look great, though! Nice flier, lands at 48 kts, and the tail bumper lets you do a nice wheelie. Helluva modeler, Piglet.
    wouldn't this make a great kit-plane?

YB-49's - Somewhat problematic due to age issues. The Higgs YB and YRB are unusable, pretty much, parts scattered all over the countryside in sim. This happens infrequently with some older models, the animation co-ordinates are different, or something. They're very rough, to boot. Paul's YB looks great, it's a very tight mesh, where the Higgs wing has many protruding edges and gaps. All works well except the main gear, which has half the wheels protruding through the main gear doors when retracted. I'm working on that. May be able to transplant the mains from Piglet's -35 if I can't get the animation end-point reset.

Ah-ha! Testing that works! OK. I fumduckered. I guess I didn't de-select prop one when I set the rudders, got the wrong animation code on it.

The NLG contact point is wonky. I moved it back under the wheel. It's compressing too much and burying the wheel. Does anybody know what to adjust to eliminate that?
    I always thought it was handled by the contact points section of the aircraft.cfg ...spring compression - parts 8 and 9 ...

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, Jaffo. I`ll mess around with that. The AN-22 NLG needs some tuning up, too.
    Now, YB-49 news. The main gear are causing problems on Paul`s old wing. The tire`s got elephantiasis, won`t fit in the wing. It`s a glitch I`ve seen a few times on older FSDS models. Not totally kippered yet, but it`s back-burnered for a bit while I dig into the -35.
    Attachment 57963 Improved the cockpits a bit, looking a bit less bare, and hauled various bits out preparatory to getting some proper bomb door animations.
    Still agitating for an alpha edition, take you up on those re-paints, Jaffo. Think, PB2T, or SEA gunship, put those 32 20-mikemikes to work...
    Attachment 57964Attachment 57965

I can see some fictional NASA paints on the horizon....

Thanks, Jaffo. I`ll mess around with that. The AN-22 NLG needs some tuning up, too.
    Now, YB-49 news. The main gear are causing problems on Paul`s old wing. The tire`s got elephantiasis, won`t fit in the wing. It`s a glitch I`ve seen a few times on older FSDS models. Not totally kippered yet, but it`s back-burnered for a bit while I dig into the -35.
    Improved the cockpits a bit, looking a bit less bare, and hauled various bits out preparatory to getting some proper bomb door animations.
    Still agitating for an alpha edition, take you up on those re-paints, Jaffo. Think, PB2T, or SEA gunship, put those 32 20-mikemikes to work...
    Have you had a chance to look further into it..?

Blog Entries
    ok, ok.. let me get some sleep this morning and i'll zip up a pre-alpha version of it for you all to test.. it could probably use for me to add a bit more sideslip, but i'm fearful of making you all airsick when you try to bank it and watch the earth slip out from under you..

Blog Entries
    Get it while its hot guys .. And dont forget to leafve your critiques please.. also, anyone that can make gauges, work in 3ds max or do the textures on the interior is more than welcome to join in the fun..
    Pam

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...s.php?catid=37

Blog Entries
    Improved the cockpits a bit, looking a bit less bare, and hauled various bits out preparatory to getting some proper bomb door animations.
    Looking great Lazarus. Only critique i have is that the humans appear too big. This plane was "huge" with enough headroom to walk around in ( even if a little slumped over )..

Heres the correct scaling if you can.. ( got lucky finding this )..

Quote Originally Posted by warchild View Post
    Get it while its hot guys .. And dont forget to leave your critiques please.. also, anyone that can make gauges, work in 3ds max or do the textures on the interior is more than welcome to join in the fun..
    Pam

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...s.php?catid=37

Thanks for letting us take a look, much appreciated..!
    My comment was actually to see if Lazarus had time for the rest of the animations.

Thanks for releasing this alpha Pam. I am much less than an expert on flight dynamics, but it feels big and heavy, which is exactly what it was. I really hope this project comes to fruition, because even just in spot view it looks superb:

SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Did some experimenting in P3D V4.1.
    At first when you select the aircraft the sim would CTD, I repeated several time, removed all the .gau files with the same result. Finally used the files in Northrop_XB-35_FDE-4.5.zip to update the air files and it worked (one more CTD before I fixed the sound). Noticed I had no sound, looked in the sound folder and while there were a bunch of sound files the sound.cfg was just an alias pointing at the default DC-3 (which I don't have in the normal spot). Copied the find for the DC-3 into its sound folder and things worked much better. I was able to complete my test circuit, could roll her but could not flip (not unexpected) but here handling was pretty good.
    Joe Cusick

Members +
    Blog Entries
    Still grunching along at it... Interrupted with an ill advised sortie to Pender Harbour, and subsequent three days of clearing effing snow off the topsides...Hot rums in the Garden Bay Pub aiding recovery. Might need a few more days R&R.

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    I can see some fictional NASA paints on the horizon....
    Here's your first repaint:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CaptainAmerica_DanielSimon_T_HydraFlyingWing_02.jpg  
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Thanks for releasing this alpha Pam. I am much less than an expert on flight dynamics, but it feels big and heavy, which is exactly what it was. I really hope this project comes to fruition, because even just in spot view it looks superb:

Well, I sure wasnt able to take it any further and the plane is just beautiful. Flies like a silk and is an incredible joy. I figured it was time to give it over to the people that can actually finish it. The community here. Piglet is pretty special to the entire community here, and not just me. I just hope they add the doggy bag on the engineering deck where the pup can find it ..

Members who have read this thread: 160