Nemeth freeware Russian helicopters in P3Dv3 !

Thread: Nemeth freeware Russian helicopters in P3Dv3 !

Nemeth freeware Russian helicopters in P3Dv3 !

Hi all,

Today I checked the Nemeth website for the first time, and went into the freeware section.
    In there, they have mainly some old FS9 models which seemed to look good on the screenshots, especially for the VCs. Altought the gauges were all obviously 2D, the VCs seemed to be well detailled and nicely textured all around.

So then I thought it would be worth a shot to check how these birds would display in Prepar3Dv3. As most of you know already, Prepar3Dv3 does an excellent job in displaying FS9 aircrafts, with no "prop/rotor/windows behind the clouds/autogen" issues, self shadowing, cockpit shadows, etc... So I downloaded the Kamov Ka-26, which is probably the only existing decent model of this aircraft in the whole FS world... and it was displaying perfectly !!

The model does not have any transparency issues. The gauges are all in XML so they work correctly I think. More than that: all switches (I mean 99%) in the virtual cockpit are in 3D, so they are still clickable and I was almost able to perform a cold and dark startup! Almost, because that bird is difficult to start and I didn't read the manual. 2D Panels are working fine as well. The exterior model looks excellent honnestly, I'm impressed by the quality of the exterior modelling. The VC looks quite good too. Of course, the 2D gauges look a bit dated, and the FS9 limited texture resolution is not helping, but despite this the VC still looks excellent and detailled. The sounds are not bad. Can't evaluate the flight model, but it flies like a tail-rotor-less, non-powerful copter as I expected.

So then I went on and downloaded the Mi-2 and the Mi-24 as well.
    And as expected, they look very good as well (especially for the price...). Quality is similar to the Ka-26: the exterior model is excellent, the VCs are well textures and with 3D switches so most things for properly, and 2D panels can compensate for the 2D swtiches in the VC. However, I wasn't able to start them because contrary to the Ka-26, all switches are labeled in Russian, so I would need to read the manual. CTRL+E doesn't work of course !

One more thing, just to confirm: While I was flying the Ka-26, I could confirm the double-rotor (and windows) displays perfectly in front of the clouds, without any clipping or transparency issues.
    It's a shame these models are in FS9 native format, because they could have worked in P3Dv4 thanks to their XML gauges... I wonder if Nemeth would allow anybody to convert these birds to FSX or P3D-native formats...

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    One more thing, just to confirm: While I was flying the Ka-26, I could confirm the double-rotor (and windows) displays perfectly in front of the clouds, without any clipping or transparency issues.
    It's a shame these models are in FS9 native format, because they could have worked in P3Dv4 thanks to their XML gauges... I wonder if Nemeth would allow anybody to convert these birds to FSX or P3D-native formats...
    if you search in the hovercontrol forums there is a post with the start up procedures for the fs2004 helos, I cant remember who or the name of the post, it was several yrs ago when fs2004 was the main but i used it many times in fs2004 to start them up

Ah yes, I'll check if I can find these topics, thanks a lot
    I didn't think about checking on youtube either... didn't have the time yet. I'll check during the weekend

May i ask what scenery you are using in these screenshots? Thanks!
    Manuel

Members who have read this thread: 1