To FSX or not to FSX, that's the question...

View Poll Results: What is your main flightsim program ?

Voters
182. You may not vote on this poll
  • FSX (all editions)

118 64.84%
  • P3D v1/2/3

11 6.04%
  • P3Dv4

50 27.47%
  • XPlane

0 0%
  • Other (Aerofly2, FSW, DCS, etc. )

3 1.65%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To FSX or not to FSX, that's the question...

To FSX or not to FSX, that's the question...

You are here, here in the 'FSX General Discussion' forum.

What would be interesting to know however is : ..... is FSX actually your main flight simulator version today ?

Or did you by any chance quietly moved to P3D ? v1/v2/v3 or maybe even v4 ?..... Or maybe even you said goodbye to the FS franchise all together and fell in love with XPlane ?...

And still you come in here, good ol' FSX forum, because it happens to be your favourite flightsim forum no matter that you have moved on to P3D or XP or whatever and no matter these other flightsim versions actually have their own forums here at the SOH. This feels like home, right ?

Please be honest and tell us what flightsim program you're actually using today, Ok ?

Thank you !

I have moved to P3D_V4 and that is my primary Sim. . .however I also have FSX installed in order to continue doing scenery as IS3 isn't compatible with V4. The only flying I do in FSX is simply to check my scenery.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

I have completely migrated to v4 and DCS. These are my primary flight Sims now. But FSX forum is the most trafficked and where most of "the usuals" around here reside!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

About 85% FSX and 15% FS9. Still have some old favorites in FS9 that do not translate well in FSX so I fire up the senior sim to work those in.

I'm interested in P3D but they seem to keep releasing a new version about the time I'm looking to try it out. Makes we nervous about getting "stuck" with a particular version like V3 or V4.

Blog Entries
    P3Dv4 for flying and R&D.

When I post to FSX, I only post content that shares common denominators between all sim platforms. Skins, models, scenery etc.
    As we don't have a v4 specific thread, I don't share much 64-bit content. I'm sure that will change as we migrate in that direction.

I would agree with Jan. I think a dedicated P3Dv4 thread is appropriate at this point, as the SDK and 64-bit techniques are so different than 32-bit. I'm not sure where we would fit in PBR, but there are a number of us who are deeply immersed in PBR modeling, and feel that it is prudent to master the tech...just in case we end up heading in that direction eventually.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

There is a PR3D discussion. Visitor counts 1:10, 1 for PR3D 10 for FSX? I'm still in FSX.

Cees

I'm on P3D4 exclusively. I spend more time reading and posting on this forum only because it's the more active one. But I'm getting into the habit of checking the P3D forum at least once a day for P3D-specific news.
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

FSX:A Only and as long as my computer works, it will be FSX. Why ? Because I've got over 500 Gb of installed add-ons and won't start from zero by now. And FSX is stable (meaning there isn't a new version or update every 6 months).
    Cheers

P3d v4 only these days. FSX was removed shortly after P3d v3 came out, and now that's gone as well.
    I usually check both the FSX and P3d forums here the same amount, but this one is busier.
    A lot of what is posted here is relevant to P3d as well but not usually the other way round.
    I've noticed over at Avsim the P3d forum there gets 10 times more posts than the FSX one.

Fsx only, but my computer is nearing its end, and we'll see what happens next, p3d probably
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Well I have P3Dv4 but use FSXSE almost exclusively, mainly because of the financial investment I have made in FSX I dislike the P3D interface for another thing. I think I bought it out of a sense of duty or something, I bought all of them bar V3. . I find it crashes too or rather seizes up would be more accurate. Bah Humbug.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

FSX boxed - DX10 only. Uninstalled P3D3. Aiming for P3D4 & DCS when able for an
    upgrade of my pc to 64bits.
    Still, I'll keep FSX for "developing" purposes.
    My Military Flight Videos :

Moved to a new computer, where FSX:A isn't working anymore. I'm trying to get it to work, because I have so much installed on it. But I am going to start using P3Dv4, once I figure out how to install it so I don't have to worry about Win10 updates killing it and learn how to install everything, especially fsx legacy add ons.

FSX:A on my "old" gaming machine (Win7) and I have bought Prepar3D for the new gaming machine (Win10), both 64-bit. AeroFly 2 will be on the new machine when it's released on DVD (which may already be out if I read a blurb on it correctly).

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

FSXSE at the moment but will jump shortly to either P3Dv4 or XP11, realy undecided on this.
    You take it easy.. and have a nice day

I left FS2004 and CFSs (2&3) two computers ago. Now running only FSX Gold and so far until I change this computer (now 5 years old) - which means soon. Then forward with P3Dv4.

P.

FSX SE for now, have P3DV4 but FSX UI is better, and have too many addons that work to dump FSX, noticed FSX has an Area 51 scenery stock ?, P3D doesn't.

Although I entered FSX as my main sim, I actually fly FS9 more often. I starts much quicker runs smoother and there is much more freeware available for the old sim.

I agree, FSX looks nicer and has more possibilities, etc. But as long as people keep developing stunning freeware for FS9, I don't see a real reason to abandon it.

The reasonable simplicity of FS9 is what I like. FS9 needs just one texture which includes the alphas, compared with FSX which needs 3 texture files (texture, bump and spec) all with their own alphas to do more or less the same.

Cheers,
    Huub

I answered p3dv4 BUT i use FSX-SE at the same amount of time because i have TONS of addons that only work with it. I intend to continue with both installed.
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

From June - P3Dv4 only, the best title from FS series, it was bye bye FSX.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I have FSX SE and P3D 4.1 both installed. 4.1 is the best version so far in terms of smoothness and stability BUT it needs a powerful PC to make the best of it. My old i7 3770K and GTX970 don't quite cut it, not with Accusim and Orbx, so I keep SE installed and will do at least until the next PC build. The best thing about P3D is that it's in continuous development. Ironically, this is also what could see it develop and price itself way beyond the reach of any enthusiast, and that's another reason I'll probably keep FSX going on the new rig.

FSX is the only sim I have installed at the moment, so it still is my main sim. I hardly fly anymore, though. My intent when I built my next system is to migrate to P3D4.
    TFZ-034
    "I fought the law and the law won ..."

I have an old computer, 32-bit OS, so I'm in the FSX camp for the foreseeable future.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Until about two weeks ago, I would have voted for FSX SE exclusively, but around that time my computer died, so had it repaired. I am having problems getting FSX Steam reinstalled, but will eventually get there. the reason for doing so, mainly, is to be able to use Instant Scenery 3 to modify scenery and transfer it to P3Dv4, because FSX Steam, for now, won t run IS3. But I LOVE V4! NC

FSX:SE for the forseeable future.

Would like to switch to P3Dv4, but questionable add-on compatibility is a bit of a turnoff.

Members who have read this thread: 0