Flight Replica's J-3 Cub Released - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Flight Replica's J-3 Cub Released

Quote Originally Posted by thearrowmaker View Post
    Review is up at Flightsim. The reviewer is'nt overly impressed. Oh well, each to their own.

http://www.flightsim.com/main/review/frj3.htm
    Each their own, indeed. If I may review the reviewer, I was very suprised that no effort was made to determine why I would go to all the time and effort to make a new Cub, or to explore the vast (in my mind) differences between the two models - not to mention the the almost complete ignoring that the package comes with floats and skis, which took a while to get right. A very superficial review, in my opinion.

As a developer, I have come to regard reviews like the old Hollywood adage that "any publicity is good publicity". Good or bad review, my aircraft or another's, I don't pay much attention any more. Some of the subjectivity could drive you crazy, if you took it to heart. I don't use them when buying aircraft or scenery any more (and I do buy!) - screenshots and user comments are usually the best indicators, to me, and give a much bigger and more accurate picture.

Voila.

Mike

gajit
    Yep - the more I fly the Flight Replica's J3 the more I apprechiate every aspect. I just get a bit bored with yellow!! Wish there were some repaints.

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by gajit View Post
    Yep - the more I fly the Flight Replica's J3 the more I apprechiate every aspect. I just get a bit bored with yellow!! Wish there were some repaints.
    Ain't that the truth, I have the Pant Kit and it is a beauty. I did the "Flying Farmer", but like all others I have found reference to, it is "Yellow". At least people that own Champs have some artistic license.

I'm still looking , because at the moment, we are going through the April monsoons and I cannot get outside and ride my bike or do yard work.

Caz

gajit
    Hope you find some Caz -it would be most apprechiated.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_cyul View Post

As a developer, I have come to regard reviews like the old Hollywood adage that "any publicity is good publicity". Good or bad review, my aircraft or another's, I don't pay much attention any more. Some of the subjectivity could drive you crazy, if you took it to heart. I don't use them when buying aircraft or scenery any more (and I do buy!) - screenshots and user comments are usually the best indicators, to me, and give a much bigger and more accurate picture.

Voila.

Mike
    True words Mike, especially regarding the publicity ;-)

We do the same, also because most of our authors start designing a model because they LOVE doing it.... then already it is secondary what others 'think of it'. And with so many minds, systems and preferences it is impossible to please them all anyway.

By the way, Simon is working on a greatly revised Cub too, after the success of is first. The Cub's one of the best planes to fly, because you are actually FLYING it :wave:
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

Quote Originally Posted by mike_cyul View Post
    Each their own, indeed. If I may review the reviewer, I was very suprised that no effort was made to determine why I would go to all the time and effort to make a new Cub, or to explore the vast (in my mind) differences between the two models - not to mention the the almost complete ignoring that the package comes with floats and skis, which took a while to get right. A very superficial review, in my opinion.

Voila.

Mike
    Totally agree. Although reviews can be useful, they are after all only the opinion of a single person. If a product gets several favourable or negative reviews then this can be a useful barometer, if you will, of the quality of the product. Nowadays I tend to look at screenshots/video's and read what people have to say about a product on the various forums I frequent, than purchase something based on a few reviews. The most useful thing, I find however, are demo's. As a PC Pilot subscriber, I find the demo'son the cover disc's quite useful. Unfortunately the number of developers who offer such materials is quite limited.
    "There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss"
    — Douglas Adams, 'The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy'

gajit
    Working in journalism I expect a reviewer to offer a balanced appraisal with a few positive and negative aspects of the product highlighted - in much the same way the treads here balance out with pros and cons covered.

I review about a product a month for AVSIM. Some things I have noticed:

1. Reviewing a lot of products can make the reviewer jaded, and can lead to superficial, hurried coverage.

2. Reviewing a lot of products gives the reviewer a broader perspective than most consumers can AFFORD to acquire. Cf. T. S. Eliot: comparison is the essential tool of the critic.

3. If there's a bias, I think it tends to be in favor of the product. People who keep writing reviews for more than a year do it because they like Flight Simulator and Flight Simulator add-ons. I have never reviewed a product that had no value to someone; on one occasion, I declined to review a product because it was put together sloppily.

4. My personal goal, as a reviewer, is to be useful to the consumer and fair to the developer.

5. A good review will notice things that do NOT announce themselves in the first couple hours of product ownership.

6. As a consumer, I too want to see videos.
    David Wilson-Okamura

Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,
    Nor public men, nor cheering crowds,
    A lonely impulse of delight
    Drove to this tumult in the clouds.
    -- W. B. Yeats, "An Irish Airman Foresees His Death"

Charter Member 2016
    IMHO, reviews are primarily useful as a vehicle for candid screenshots and bug-reports... the writer should not be afraid to post on any problems, bugs, or deficencies he/she percieves, however slight - the devil is in the details, and I can easily see that a small issue could be a game-changer for those that know better. Post everything...
    Same goes for screenshots - post even the ones that don't look that great. Candid screenshot taking shows what the model will look like from all the funny angles and odd lighting that happens in normal sim-use. A carefully framed and lighted set of screenshots gives a BADLY skewed version of the product!
    While most of my FS purchases have been good, and many of them I would buy again if I had to do it again, some I have bought on the strength of some very positive reviews and beautiful pictures have turned out to be dogs once they were brought in from the cold...
    "Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life." - 2 Nephi 31:20

Mormon.org

Quote Originally Posted by EMatheson View Post
    Same goes for screenshots - post even the ones that don't look that great. Candid screenshot taking shows what the model will look like from all the funny angles and odd lighting that happens in normal sim-use. A carefully framed and lighted set of screenshots gives a BADLY skewed version of the product!
    This is one reason I like videos.
    David Wilson-Okamura

Nor law, nor duty bade me fight,
    Nor public men, nor cheering crowds,
    A lonely impulse of delight
    Drove to this tumult in the clouds.
    -- W. B. Yeats, "An Irish Airman Foresees His Death"