Flight Replica's J-3 Cub Released - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flight Replica's J-3 Cub Released

I'm gettin there.........
    Just some progress shots. These are DXT5, dds, I don't think I lost too much detail:
    Joe Watson
    Lake Placid, Florida

Quote Originally Posted by CBris View Post
    What - no PK for the Cub. Mike! For shame!
    There is a full paint kit in the "J-3" aircraft folder!

Mike

gajit
    Hi Joe -thats looking really flown in - great work

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_cyul View Post

Mike
    Well slap my thigh! Going there right away and direct it into my Repaint Folder!

Thanks Mike, Dolt I am! :friday:

Caz

Edit: There it was, zipped in the J-3 Folder! Thanks Mike, didn't look until you mentioned it. Bravo.

Mike
    I knew there was no way...
    Greetings from Chris Brisland a.k.a. "Eagleskinner" a.k.a. "Dances with brushes" a.k.a. "Old One-Eye". I've not come unravelled yet and I am painting again.

My paints can now be found on my website

Question Better than FSX default cub?

I am sure the answers are legion, but I haven't seen any discussion in this thread comparing the quality of the Flight Replicas J3 to that of the FSX default Cub.

Why would anybody spend $30 on a new version of the J3 that was included with FSX?

- Jeff

Hi Jeff. I suggest you go to the sales sites and have a close look at the screenshots of the Flight Replicas J-3, and then compare with the default one.

Also, with the Flight Replicas version you get float and ski equipped versions as well, and different flight dynamics.

There is also a paint kit for those who like to make their own paint schemes, something not really possible with the default model.

And the Flight Replicas Cub is $19.95, not $30.

Mike

SOH-CM-2024
    I have to agree Mike, if fact, I fly the Cub much more than the L-4. I purchased that as much for reference for a scale model I am doing as anything. But a Cub is a Classic in every sense of the word.

Last light I have to chase that dang Farmer from Merlin to Dinwiddie. :kiss:

Caz

Hi Jeff. I suggest you go to the sales sites and have a close look at the screenshots of the Flight Replicas J-3, and then compare with the default one.
    And the Flight Replicas Cub is $19.95, not $30.
    I looked - frankly, these old eyes can't tell the difference! Well - the gauges looked a bit easier to read than on the default J3. And it's $26 in REAL money (Canadian, eh?) :-)

- Jeff

gajit
    Quote Originally Posted by jschall View Post
    I am sure the answers are legion, but I haven't seen any discussion in this thread comparing the quality of the Flight Replicas J3 to that of the FSX default Cub.

Why would anybody spend $30 on a new version of the J3 that was included with FSX?

- Jeff
    I have always hated the default one as it just looks slightly misshaped to me - the flight replicas J3 has the correct proportions.

Master of Disaster
    Flight Replica's J3 is FAR superior to the default FSX cub in all areas! How's that..........?
    If government was the answer, it was a stupid question!

gajit
    Quote Originally Posted by MudMarine View Post
    Flight Replica's J3 is FAR superior to the default FSX cub in all areas! How's that..........?
    Absolutely correct.

That's very convincing, Mud. Sure convinces me to rush out and buy it. I knew I could count on you guys for in-depth analysis and comparisons.

- Jeff

Master of Disaster
    LOL, I know it's not "indepth" but it's true! I don't think you'll be disapointed! I've been VERY happy with all the aircraft I've purchased from Flight Replica! And I've purchased them all! The frame rates on his cub are excellent. The flight dynamics seem good. The sounds are good and it's just purdy to look at! The default cub is fair but I NEVER liked how it handled, on the ground or in the air. On top of all that Mike is a great guy and supports his products and his prices are very fair! I don't think I could ask for much more!
    If government was the answer, it was a stupid question!

pointy31
    I agree with Mud and Mike. It is a super nice airplane, and you get 4 models for $20...... Best $5 models I ever bought...:ernae:

Exclamation

The default cub is fair but I NEVER liked how it handled, on the ground or in the air.

Hmm. Well, I have done a comparison of the ground handling of the Flight Replicas J-3 with the default FSX J-3. With the default J-3, I can taxi to the apron and takeoff. Not so with Mike's model - I am hoping he can help me to get it working. Here is my email to him:

Mike CYUL:

I purchased your J-3 Cub for FSX, based on hearty endorsements from the crew at Sim-Outhouse.

I purchased from SimMarket yesterday 26 February 2009, the order number is:504000.

I am running FSX SP2 on Windows XP SP2.

I have tried both the Standard and the Flitfire, both exhibit the following behaviour:

Sitting on the apron with engine started, parking brakes on, throttle to idle - the cockpit shakes and thumps, the tailwheel almost leaves the ground.

Release brakes, advance throttle 1/4 to start taxi - the plane starts to leap into the air, fall to the tarmac, bounce from side to side, leap and bounce more and more violently, eventually crashing to the tarmac.

I have never experienced this with any other FSX aircraft.

Let me know if I can send you any config files to help you fix my problem!

--
    - Jeff Schallenberg
    Mont Saint-Hilaire, Québec

Charter Member 2011
    yes i know i cant spell half the time! Thank you kindly to those few who pointed that out

Hi Jeff - Yes, a few here and there have reported this behaviour. This thread should help you:

http://skyunlimited.net/skyboard/YaBB.pl?num=1234630479

Edit: Ok Stiz, thanks, beat me to it!

Mike

OK now!

Thanks to Stiz and Mike_CYUL, the contact-point fix did the trick.

- Jeff

Looks like yet another to add....

Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    Looks like yet another to add....
    Heeyyyy! Welcome back! :wave:

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by jschall View Post

- Jeff
    Review is up at Flightsim. The reviewer is'nt overly impressed. Oh well, each to their own.

http://www.flightsim.com/main/review/frj3.htm
    "There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss"
    — Douglas Adams, 'The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy'

SOH-CM-2024
    Bar none, my favorite J-3 is Flight Replicas. I had to apply the fix too, but it was up in the original Sticky thread here at SOH when Mike released it not two days later.

Caz

Redundant like so many others......I hated this plane in real life. A fellow pilot had Two!!!!! and I flew one of his four or five times. Alone, from the back seat!!!!!..horrible!!!!!! I can´t remember this plane ever helping me land it straight and true...No way!!!! if some wind was blowing, which it is always here by the ocean, the thing had to be landing "skidding" on a side and diving!!!!LOL----otherwise the object would float and float forever......what a looney plane.., but I guess some liked it that way.....I´ll hold my money for the Alphasim Islander....now there is a beauty!!!!!!