Spitfire mk VIII new addon

Thread: Spitfire mk VIII new addon

Spitfire mk VIII new addon

FOA thanks to Cp Winters for his great job. I´m experiencing problems with this plane flight model. She looses control after reducing speed following landings -skids to right our left even lowering prop pitch our making compensations with the rudder. Is it my incompetence ?

Welcome to the world of high-performance tailwheel aircraft. They can be a handful, especially something with narrow track landing gear like a Spitfire. Reducing prop RPM (note, this means prop pitch is increasing) will actually make it more difficult. Good practice is to land with the prop set for max RPM. Make sure you land with the centerline of the aircraft aligned with your direction of travel, and touch down at an appropriately slow airspeed (I forget what it is for that aircraft, but I'm pretty sure that info is included somewhere in the package). Once you're on the ground, stay ahead of any tendency to swerve. Making a small correction as soon as you see any deviation is much better than trying to make a larger correction a moment later, since you are much less likely to over-correct and induce a swerve in the opposite direction. If you do swerve off, or towards the edge of the runway, correct your course to parallel the runway centerline and get the airplane stabilized before trying to correct back to the centerline. Apply the brakes evenly. Usually it is better to correct swerves with the rudder rather than using the left or right brake. Also, when taxiing, stay slow - 10 mph or so. That might seem painfully slow, but realistically that's what you have to do to stay in control. Remember, you're still flying the airplane until the prop stops turning and the chocks are in!

Hopefully that helps.

Thanks buddy but you made i faithful description of all my attempts, and seems nothing works. The ETO MK 14 griffon engined for instance is easier to control although the heavy nose because of the huge griffon engine. The MKVIII only swerves practically when i´m almost stopped. Cutting off the engine didn´t solve anything either. Thanks for you´re kind reply anyways!
    P.S: My landing speed is about 100 our less miles p hour

Well, I don't know what else to say, it lands fine for me. Do you have your realism settings at 100%? That could make a difference if it isn't. I think the Mk.XIV has a tailwheel lock, which would make it easier. In reality the Spitfire didn't have a tailwheel lock, so you don't have one on the Mk.VIII.

Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    Well, I don't know what else to say, it lands fine for me. Do you have your realism settings at 100%? That could make a difference if it isn't. I think the Mk.XIV has a tailwheel lock, which would make it easier. In reality the Spitfire didn't have a tailwheel lock, so you don't have one on the Mk.VIII.

Thanks Gecko. I´ll keep practice with different prop pitch settings. I´m using 100 %realism as i do not know to play easier ones!

Let me say that although frustrated i´m delighted with the plane flight model, years ahead of that of the stock Spit.

Members who have read this thread: 0