A good fighter pilot - but a lousy pedestrian

Thread: A good fighter pilot - but a lousy pedestrian

A good fighter pilot - but a lousy pedestrian

This thread isn't about flying - it's about my poor "situational awareness" as a pedestrian.
    And maybe, it's good for laughing.
    Yesterday, I returned from the city, were I had got me a stabile box for sending a drum machine,
    I had sold to Italy via Ebay. It was so big, I had to hold it in front of me, kind of embraced.
    At the big crossing, near my flat, I had to stop at the crosswalk, waiting for "green".
    Looking to my right, I saw two tall and very attractive ladies in slim fit jeans; legs so long,
    they seemed to reach up under their armpits.
    That was one of these moments, when you get "rabbit paralised" - Brain reduced work to Neandertal
    level and boiled, the steam blurred my sight, my angle of view on "target lock".
    I only realised, it was "green", because they walked. And so did I, to follow up.
    Now, I don't know if you have ever tried to fly on "target lock"; I did and found it pretty tricky
    to keep a feeling of "how am I situated in my surrounding".
    You may already sense, what is to come? Yes - a painful "donnnngggg!!!" brought me straight back to
    my own little grey reality: I had walked against the post of the pedestrian's traffic light.
    It stands in the middle of the crossway's width, and it always stood there. But how can you put a
    solid metal post in the center of a crossway, damn m***********g, b****y pylon!!!
    I was lucky, as I had that box embraced. So I hit it with my left forehead - the nose wasn't damaged.
    When I could see more than just stars again, the girls were gone. Only people around, giving me strange
    or pityful looks.
    In my mind, a picture appeared. Otto von Stachel in his grey leather coat, a huge "Pour le Merite" on his
    chest, with an oil-smeared face underneath his goggles, talking to me in a low voice Hollywood German:
    "Sittuashional awareness, my friend! You vere lacking sittuashional awareness! In a dogfight, ziss could
    have been your end!"
    But the little devil, on my left shoulder, kicked me with his elbow and gave me an un-satanic, very human grin.
    "So, there's still life in there, eh, old chap?" In were ? ...

Giant2111
    yepp,....I call it "target fixation":tgun2:, but that should happen to rookies only.

It happens to me once a week. No, not the pole, but the "fixation", and the feeling of "live down there".:amen:

regards

Bullethead
    Olham, me lad, be thankful you were strolling with a box and not your frauline. Even if she hadn't noticed you ogling the other girls at the time, she certainly would have figured it out as soon as you hit the pole, and no doubt would have given you a matching lump on the other side of your forehead :caked:

Rickitycrate
    Sometimes things conspire against you. One time I drove my car into a pillar while checking out a girl. We're still married. The important thing in my book is that you did no harm to that box! I know what you intend to do with the euro's you get for it.

Gousgounis
    Good one Olham! :costumes:.
    My guess is that I woulnt have reacted in a better way either...! :isadizzy: