BlackBox Simulations
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BlackBox Simulations

BlackBox Simulations

Has anyone had any dealings with this Company other than purchasing? I've sent help tickets, posted on their Support Forum and tried e-mails and I get zero, zilch, nada. Their Forum has unanswered posts back to April (possibly even farther back if I had looked). They're located in Malta from what I see on their website and they only have two products, the A320 (and some variants) and the L-19 but most of their site is dedicated to the Airliners. . .very little on the Birddog. My biggest pet-peeve with developers like this is not answering customers in a timely manner. If you setup a support forum then be ready to get all manner of requests/complaints and be ready to answer immediately, not 3 or 4 days or weeks later. If you're too busy to answer then designate someone who isn't too busy. . .otherwise shut it down get out of the hobby and find something else you're more suited for like knitting or sitting in the park playing chess all day.

My second biggest pet peeve is someone who doesn't answer emails. If you post email addresses on your website then you should expect to get e-mails and when you get those, you're actually supposed to answer them. Again, why bother setting up e-mail addresses and then not answer? Too busy. . .no excuse! No one is that busy. I know people who swear they are constantly on the go, busy, busy, busy, yet they spend more time talking about how busy they are than actually doing anything at all other than imagining how busy they are, lol. On the road, "Laptops", "iPhones", "Wifi". . .sooner or later you've gotta stop somewhere. Work all day, tired when you get home. . .too bad, you've got a business to run, pay attention to it or shut it down.

Crap like this drives me nuts. . .no excuse!
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Ed,
    I had heard their support was sub-par and Bernt Stolle's opinion on the progress (lack thereof) in the successive updates were warning enough for me to totally avoid their products. Still, I truly hate when anyone get's burned on such things after paying good money into such products.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by StormILM View Post
    Ed,
    I had heard their support was sub-par and Bernt Stolle's opinion on the progress (lack thereof) in the successive updates were warning enough for me to totally avoid their products. Still, I truly hate when anyone get's burned on such things after paying good money into such products.
    Actually while not up to Sibwings standards on the L-19. . .the product itself is fine, no real complaints there, but I had several questions related to paint kits and texture corrections and that's where this company simply doesn't seem to care. It would take all of a few minutes to put an answer together for what I've requested and yet they can't seem to muster the time it takes to even do that much.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Ed, sounds like they missed the memo about how 3rd party repaints can increase sales of their product.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Ed, sounds like they missed the memo about how 3rd party repaints can increase sales of their product.
    In 17 years of business,we have yet to see any concrete evidence that repaints increase sales.

Quote Originally Posted by pilto von pilto View Post
    In 17 years of business,we have yet to see any concrete evidence that repaints increase sales.
    sometimes poorly detailed and mapped paintkits or models where alpha and spec mapping properties are different across the mdl could be a factor

just saying

as ive seen lots of posts from products with good paint kits where people have stated because of 3rd party paints by other they purchased the product

painters dont care if developers dont care

just saying

Quote Originally Posted by jeansy View Post
    sometimes poorly detailed and mapped paintkits or models where alpha and spec mapping properties are different across the mdl could be a factor

just saying

as ive seen lots of posts from products with good paint kits where people have stated because of 3rd party paints by other they purchased the product

painters dont care if developers dont care

just saying
    only interested in the facts.

just saying

Quote Originally Posted by pilto von pilto View Post

In 8 years of flight simming I have purchased a number of aircraft due to one or more excellent repaints. It is not every time I buy an aircraft, but it has been the deciding factor on more than one occasion. The reverse is also true. I have passed on aircraft, which are not study sim aircraft anyway, if there are no interesting paints or if I think the paints I see don't look that good.

That is just me. I'm not going to speak for anyone else, and I definitely won't speak for an industry.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    only interested in the facts.

just saying
    Are there well established facts? Can you reference any sound market research? All here is anecdotal based on contradictory personal experience. But, as a painter, I feel disappointed developers represented here seem to regard free repaints as of such little significance or merit. A lot of research and effort goes into what I do and it frequently markedly improves (at least in my own, biased, view) what some developers have had us pay for. Still I do it because it's my hobby and for my own satisfaction.

Just saying.....

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Following the logic that the success of an addon depends on the availability of repaints/paintkit e.g. Alabeo/Carenado would out of business since quite some time now.

Good topic....And one that is a factor in this hobby on a daily basis.

I have no experience with BlackBox. That said however, there are certainly behavior patterns and attitudes on display from some payware developers that seem to reflect either a lack of business acumen, or the influence of a particular ethos/ideology/mindset that is more of a hobby than a business mentality. Other developers are fantastic in the support and communications arena...It seems to be a case of "YMMV" - Your Milage May Vary".

While this is occasionally annoying, I tend to chalk it up to the "artist" factor...since the gorgeous aircraft being produced today are often nothing short of art.

Kent

Quote Originally Posted by bbrz View Post
    Following the logic that the success of an addon depends on the availability of repaints/paintkit e.g. Alabeo/Carenado would out of business since quite some time now.
    how?, theres heaps of paints for the both of them, maybe nothing you like but there are more than enough painters like Jankees, Ron Attwood & Dirk just to name a few have done dozens, actually more than whats out there for AH

I can recall a post of "Whats wrong with my Dc3 package" from a certain dev,

just saying......

Settle down team.
    Play nice or not at all.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

In real life I have a profession where we verify everything what is said or stated has evidence to support this.

When the Aeroplane Heaven company states that they haven't seen any evidence that repaints promote sails, than they are correct. Just because because there is no evidence. This however does not imply that repaints not contribute to sales, but the fact is, that nobody ever did any specific and solid research on this subject.

My personal feeling however is that repaints significantly add to how people enjoy models. For the repainters (like me), because it enables them to perform their hobby, but also for the "virtual flying" customers who choose their favourite livery. When I see how many request I have had over the years, I think I have enough evidence in my mailbox to prove that its important enough for people to fly their "own" favourite livery to write en e-mail to somebody they don't even know.

And also for myself, I often also prefer greats repaints by the people here above the default liveries.

For a company I can imagine sales are more important, but for me, I enjoy it when I can provide somebody the small pleasure of flying his or her own livery.

No evidence to support this, but just my personal, somewhat biased, opinion.

Cheers,
    Huub

More than one time i bought an aircraft just because works of repainters here at SOH like Jankees, Zsolt, Rick, etc. Thinking again, MANY times! So, yes, this happens a lot but logicaly there is no evidence to support it.

About the OP question: stay away from Blackbox products. Just issues after issues starting with their 737-200 wich sells thru JF store. I did a complete feedback to them about this plane and sent to BB. The only answer i got: "It´s not our problem. Ask JF to pay for the corrections". Ok, goodbye!
    Flavio - P3D v4.5 - MSFS 2020 - Win 11 Pro 64
    i912900KF 5.2ghz - ASUS TUFZ690 - AIO Cooler Master PL360 Flux Masterliquid - 32gb Kingston Fury 3600mhz - Asus RTX 2080 Super - AGON 32'' AG323FCXE 165mhz -
    MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics - SSDs M2 2Tb+1Tb XPG

I must admit that the availability of repaints does effect my decision. I am usually not interested in the repaints themselves, its more a vote of confidence in the model. If lots of people think its good enough to make repaints for it, its more likely a good model. But would never not buy one because repaints are not available, unless all the stock paints are very ugly that is, I am usually happy if there is one that looks nice.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Quote Originally Posted by jeansy View Post
    how?, theres heaps of paints for the both of them, maybe nothing you like but there are more than enough painters like Jankees, Ron Attwood & Dirk just to name a few have done dozens, actually more than whats out there for AH
    I do stand corrected! I always read the complaints that mapping of Alabeo/Carenado planes makes them basically unpaintable and that there's no layered paintkit either.
    Just found out that there are more than 800 at Avsim only for Carenado planes!

Never noticed that because for me, IRL as well, pure white planes are always the most elegant ones.

As far as I know, Blackbox is just a two-man company and not even run full time. And Graham, one of the devs, answered Ed's inquiry just yesterday.

Of course there is no doubt that re-paints enhance the hobby, of course they do. That is not the point. The point was, do they increase sales? We have no evidence or facts that they do, based on our 17 years of business operations.

Bjoern, many developers are just a couple of people, and that is another misunderstanding out there.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    Bjoern, many developers are just a couple of people, and that is another misunderstanding out there.
    Sometimes it's less than that.

Quote Originally Posted by bbrz View Post
    I do stand corrected! I always read the complaints that mapping of Alabeo/Carenado planes makes them basically unpaintable and that there's no layered paintkit either.
    Just found out that there are more than 800 at Avsim only for Carenado planes!

Never noticed that because for me, IRL as well, pure white planes are always the most elegant ones.
    I can't say much about Carenado in FSX and admittedly the Alabeo Gee Bee isn't what I'd call complex but it's the Alabeo product I have the most experience with. But I didn't have much problem figuring the mapping out on it and did up my own paint kit for it. Actually it was the one that I really learned how to paint for FSX on.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

I'm pretty disappointed in BlackBox. I have a friend that has a L-19 that I have had the pleasure of flying in. I jumped at the chance to have a good one in FSX, since the abacus one is crap.

But, the installation process is silly, and because of that, I have a temporary install instead of a regular install of the plane. I can fly the Bird dog that I paid for, but, only for a few minutes. I have sent multiple requests to the contact us section of their website. I have received precisely zero responses. I never received a "key" or anything (you get what I mean if you know the BBox installer). Also, I have checked my "spam" folder and there has never been an FS related response there.

I am going to chalk up my $15 as my first real loss in the FS game. And I've been playing the FS game for 20 years.
    If BBox were to man up and actually answer me, I would change my tune. Until then, I will be happy to tell people how poor they are in a customer service standpoint. They are sucking a lot.

The same experience here with their scottish bulldog, not able to install properly, nada response.

I also had installation problems with Blackbox (Bulldog) but had a swift response from graham@blackboxsimulation.com. I agree the whole installation / preflight manager malarkey is a pain but the Bulldog is quite decent. I agree there's no excuse for poor customer service and failure to reply, just saying that my problem was sorted quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceWeevil View Post
    I also had installation problems with Blackbox (Bulldog) but had a swift response from graham@blackboxsimulation.com. I agree the whole installation / preflight manager malarkey is a pain but the Bulldog is quite decent. I agree there's no excuse for poor customer service and failure to reply, just saying that my problem was sorted quickly.
    I'll try that email addy out. Maybe their "contact us" button is broken some how. I have had that happen on a website I had in the past.

Members who have read this thread: 1