WarbirdSim "Little Friends" problem

Thread: WarbirdSim "Little Friends" problem

WarbirdSim "Little Friends" problem

I decided to try Running my P-51 from John's "Little Friends" package in V4 (I have done a fresh install of Win10 and P3D_V4 has gone back to being smooth as silk. . . .leaving Win7 and scenery design behind). The problem I've run into is that despite the battery and generator switches being on, I have no power for avionics. No ATC, no radio function at all. The switches animate, the labels show that they are on, checked the "failures" to see if they had been somehow activated for this airplane. . .everything looks normal. . .just no power.

Anyone run into this?
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Ed, I have just checked all the different WBS Mustangs in my hangar and they all have cockpit sounds, battery switch works and supplies to all components. Fuel pump works with sound and when I hit the starter the engine starts with no problem whatsoever.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    Ed, I have just checked all the different WBS Mustangs in my hangar and they all have cockpit sounds, battery switch works and supplies to all components. Fuel pump works with sound and when I hit the starter the engine starts with no problem whatsoever.
    This is the "Little Friends II" pack, it could be something specific to this one group. I downloaded it directly from my Simmarket account yesterday and installed directly into P3D_V4. I wonder if there's a non-functioning "dll" file at work here. The Engine startup works as advertised but I'll have to check for cockpit sounds. . .I don't remember hearing any.

Current System Specs:

Ed,

There IS a dll associated with the WBS models but I can't tell which one as I have all of them installed (in FSX). You'll find it in the FS Root/Warbirdsim folder.

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Ed,
    There IS a dll associated with the WBS models but I can't tell which one as I have all of them installed (in FSX). You'll find it in the FS Root/Warbirdsim folder.
    ATB
    DaveB
    Thanks Dave. That must be the culprit as there is no "dll" file in that folder...just two pdf files. Even if there was one in there it would only confirm what is known about Win10 and "non-64bit" dll's. . .too bad.

Current System Specs:

Not sure about Win10 64-bit and non 32-bit dlls but I know P3Dv4 doesn't like 'em. As a check, did the install write an entry to your dll.xml.. assuming that P3Dv4 has such a thing? I'd assume that it would have and somewhere down the line, Win10/v4 booted the dll??

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Not sure about Win10 64-bit and non 32-bit dlls but I know P3Dv4 doesn't like 'em. As a check, did the install write an entry to your dll.xml.. assuming that P3Dv4 has such a thing? I'd assume that it would have and somewhere down the line, Win10/v4 booted the dll??
    ATB
    DaveB
    No, nothing written to that file. . .only the FSUIPC Entry. I've written to John Terrell, maybe he can shed some light on the problem. Thanks Dave.

Current System Specs:

Rgr that Ed. If anyone will know.. it will be John

As a quick test to see if LF II needs this dll, I'm going to install the set on my old WinXP pc. OK.. it doesn't write out any potential 32-bit/64-bit dll issues but if the dll is required, it should install it. I'd imagine they all do to be honest as there are no gauges as such (the cab only contains gauges for the supercharger and tail wheel). Will get back asap
    ATB
    DaveB

Dammit Ed.. I was going to say there was a cruel irony in trying this. I couldn't find Part II In the event, I must have looked past it I don't know how many times and in the original place I looked too.

Anyway.. here's the scoop. Part II doesn't install the dll.. not in the WBS folder, not in the gauges folder.. nowhere I've looked. If I could remember where my dll.exe lived in WinXP, I'd take a look there too (found it and no.. no entry there either).

So mate.. whatever the problem, I don't think it's the suspect dll

EDIT: one more place to look. Not loaded it into FSX on the WinXP rig yet (waiting for it to wind-up). Will check again after it's been run once. On that rig.. it may take a while

EDIT#2. As a final check, I wanted to see if it asked to be added to the 'trusted gauges' at first load and it didn't so the only thing I can surmise is that John hard codes the gauges into the model. This is the first time I've installed any WBS model onto that rig and there's no sign of the warbirdsim.p51.dll anywhere.
    ATB
    DaveB

Thanks Dave. It is a mystery for sure. WND (Bill) and I have been on TS this morning trying to work through it also. Bill has a different package and his cockpit actually has the radio set on the lower right console, just below the switches. I have no visible radios at all (I did make a radio popup though with an avionics switch). Despite that addition and the correct sections showing in the cfg file, the avionics switch does not work. Odd.

Current System Specs:

Well, I'm confused (a normal state for me I know, lol). I wrote to John using the "Support" e-mail address. . .my mistake as John isn't involved in support, as related to me by Steve, who answered my e-mail. My confusion lies in the fact that the e-mail I sent described the problem I'm having in as much detail as I could muster. I sent it to "Support" and the guy who answered (Steve) I would assume is involved in support. Here's what he told me however. . ."John isn't involved in support. You may want to ask him over in sim-outhouse".

Wait, what?

Current System Specs:

That made me laugh

I wish I could help you more Ed but without P3D (or Win10 64bit for that matter).. I don't know where to start. Pat reckons he has them installed in P3Dv4/Win10 so hopefully he'll be able to offer something tangible. I'm pretty sure it's not a rogue dll as LF2 doesn't load one but that's as far as I can go. Good luck with it anyway

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    I sent it to "Support" and the guy who answered (Steve) I would assume is involved in support. Here's what he told me however. . ."John isn't involved in support. You may want to ask him over in sim-outhouse".

Wait, what?
    I think that's only support for orders/downloads, not product support.

Quote Originally Posted by patful View Post
    I think that's only support for orders/downloads, not product support.
    Maybe that should be more obvious on their website where it says support is their primary goal for all customers. If support is needed make sure to supply your purchase information. To me. . .Support is all encompassing, as a matter of fact I would think most people when they think of support would agree, if you have "any" problem with a product, the Support folks would be your go-to source to get it fixed. I was hoping John would jump in on this thread, but now that I think about it I don't think he frequents the P3D Forum at all so I'll have to try a PM.

Current System Specs:

I've had to use the support email twice at WBS (which was for downloads as it happens.. no download link received!) and it did work for that. I bought all the other sets from vendors which worked better!! Only had cause to use the support email on one other occasion. If you want the paint kit, it says you have to email support which I did and never received a reply.

I'm sure I've read that John doesn't respond to PM's here though I can't confirm that as I've never tried.
    ATB
    DaveB

Well, there is something about this Series of Mustangs, combined with Windows10 and P3D_V4 that renders the Avionics null and void. No other aircraft, native FSX or Native P3D are affected. . .only the Mustangs. If it were anyone elses product I would consider it a lost cause and dump it, but John builds a beautiful airplane and despite no radios it's still a joy to fly so I'll truck on and make do.

Current System Specs:

Open the aircraft.cfg.
    Scroll down to the [radios] section.
    Delete the text "availiable, standby frequency, has glide slope"
    Save.

Done.

Such a simple yet obscure fix.Thanks DaveWG, that worked perfectly!
    I7-6700K @ 4.3, ASUS Z170-P, 32GB DDR4 2133, RTX 2070 8GB, Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv5.3 HF2

Members who have read this thread: 0