Formatting HDD for v4

Thread: Formatting HDD for v4

Formatting HDD for v4

Before i install v4 on an empty WD V-Rap 300GB,i want to format this drive.
    Which allocation size unit is recommended?
    Mikie

I would strongly recommend installing V4 to a SDD not a HDD. LM said in the system requirements section: "M.2 or Solid State Drive (SSD) is strongly recommended".

Others may have another opinion, but its better to follow the vendors system requirements especially the "recommended" ones.
    Very Respectfully,

Jim 'Doc' Johnson, SMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    Fac Fortia Et Patere

I know that,Jim---thank you.
    But first i will see,how v4 is running genrally,before i buy new hardware and i have no SSD at the moment.
    Mike

Seems to be getting quite the expense this flight-simming lark what with $1000+ video cards recommended and vast swathes of DDR4 RAM and now HDD's aren't up to snuff. I'll be on the golf course if anyone carse... much cheaper pastime plus the bonus of fresh air and exercise.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Big-Mike,

I'm not one to be disagreeable, so I'm not but I'm opinionated so hear me out. In your post I'm pretty sure you contradicted yourself: "...i will see,how v4 is running genrally, before i buy new hardware...".

V4 running "generally" with recommended hardware is going to be a good smooth experience, trying to run it off of a hard drive and not a solid state drive, well I'm guessing that will not be as smooth as with an SSD. The statistics bear it out. Also, I'm curious about what you mean by "running generally." Does that mean no addons, only stock scenery, ORBX or no ORBX, etc. If you install V4 stock with your rig and the HDD, then you may have an enjoyable experience...notice I said may. Please don't take this as some stranger being a jerk, I'm just trying to offer one perspective. When I went from FS9 to FSXA, I tried to make a system last over 5 years. It did pretty good considering the VAS limit and the bug ridden "game." Then P3D comes along right at the 5 year point.

I knew LM from my military days, and it made me smile when they basically started what is called in software engineering iterative or evolutionary releases. That is what made me save my money (I'm retired) and when it was the right time I spent the money. I saw that some folks use the HDD to store scenery, then use one SSD to run the OS, and one SSD for the sim. Personally I like to run my OS on a smaller SSD, and the sim and scenery and addons in a large SSD, but I only use a regular WD HDD as backup). I would like to add a third SSD just for the scenery.

It was all worth the cost, man was it worth the cost. And that cost can't be helped other than waiting to get a decent SSD or video card or some other part at as low a price as possible. There are always good deals. Also, I'm not telling you to run out and buy a entire new rig, install V4 on what you got with that HDD and see what the stats are (FPS, CPU and GPU stats, etc.). Then ask what people are getting on their rigs (and note the specs if they have them as a signature block). Then decide if you want to give up a new hunting rifle or whatever your luxury or sacrifice you want instead.

I hope this discussion is helpful and not a waste of your time. After flying for real, the simulator is my fix, so I guess I'm a junkie.
    Very Respectfully,

Jim 'Doc' Johnson, SMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    Fac Fortia Et Patere

Default allocation size is all that's needed until you hit something like 16TB of space.

Thank you all.
    Jim,you are right of course.
    Probably it is the best to wait and see how v4 is performing by others when ORBX Objectflow is out and all the sceneries and airports from ORBX are usuable.
    I don`t need v4 today,because i have no OOM`s in FSX-ACC.
    I don`t fly jetliners,i`m a bushflyer most the time and WW2 Propfighters.
    The best will be, i wait and read on.
    I will not buy new parts for my current PC,that makes no sense for me.
    Mike

Blog Entries
    SSDs are getting cheaper and cheaper by the day.

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra...rds=500+mb+SSd
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by big-mike View Post
    I don`t need v4 today,because i have no OOM`s in FSX-ACC.
    That's exactly what I thought too. Flying GA planes exclusively I thought I just give it a try... no hurry with 64bit as OOMs weren't my problem.
    So I started v4 up, took a look around and... never started v3 again. Crisp textures all around me! Even the mountains two ranges back looked crisp. Wilderness never looked so good.
    Concerning SSD: I have Pilot's Ultimate Global mesh and all the OrbX Global stuff installed, and thus still quite some loading time on an SSD. I surely don't want to imagine how much longer it would take on an HDD.
    P3D v4.5, DCS, AF2
    W10 64bit Pro
    Core i7 6770K @ 4,3 GHz
    32 GB DDR4 2666
    RTX 2080 Super 8 GB
    Oculus Rift S
    Cable 1000 Mbit/s

Thank you---John and vora.
    As i mentioned before,i will not buy any new parts for my system.Makes no sense for me.
    I had also to cancel the idea buying a new PC,it is way too expensive at the moment,because the prices are going up-----the reason here is this Bitcoinhype.
    Graphicscard are extrem expensive---if available and overpriced imho.
    For the moment---no v4 for me.
    Mike

Members who have read this thread: 0