Which aircraft do you miss the most from FS9?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which aircraft do you miss the most from FS9?

Which aircraft do you miss the most from FS9?

Whilst clearing out a cupboard, I was looking through my old add-ons for FS9. Yes, I'm a hoarder - you never know when they'll come in handy again! The one aircraft I really miss the most in FSX is the Pilot's "Boeing B314 - The Clipper". Although the aircraft model was beautiful (if a bit too shiny in FS9, having been originally made for FS 2002), the VC looked a little basic and 2D. However, the programming of the gyro pilot and the engineer's panel made up for the cockpit graphics. It even came with a full set of period flying boat bases so you could fly the original routes. It really gave you a sense of the romance of that era of flying. I had heard that someone was trying to get it working in FSX but I don't know what success they had.

Is there anything you miss from FS9?

I'll go with Yan Tao's Mig 19, still a very nice external model thats still flyable, but obviously no VC

Bill Lyons Luscombe Silvaire was always a favorite daily flyer for my low and slow expeditions.
    Be nice to have a 'new' one for FSX and P3D.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

The Westland Lynx and the Westland Wessex. Both aviable as port overs from Alphasim / Simshed, but unfortunately with hard restrictions (rotor issues).
    Best regards, Manfred.

That's not a bad choice Manfred. I think if there are any models I'd like to see in FSX, it would be either of those two (or both). I don't do the same sort of flying in FSX as I did in FS9 otherwise my list could be a lot longer
    ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    Bill Lyons Luscombe Silvaire was always a favorite daily flyer for my low and slow expeditions.
    Isn't that plane available in native FSX format already ? (direct conversion of the FS9 model)
    I think I've been using it a couple of times in the past.

EDIT: here are the pictures I took at the time. Is it the aircraft you were mentioning ?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	daube_image1171.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	49892
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	daube_image1172.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	49893

I would say the Calclassic propliners (Convair CV-240, Douglas DC-6/7 etc) but I still have FS9 installed and use it along with FSX.

FS9 to me is like a pair of old comfy slippers. It's there when you need it.

I was also a big fan of Bill Lyons. As a flying boat enthusiast, I particularly liked his Golden Hawaii package - Sikorsky S-43, Kellet autogyro, period airfields (including Pearl Harbour), a landable WWII carrier and plenty of adventure files! His Classic Goose package was also very good (especially if you ever watched "Tales of the Gold Monkey" on TV).

I still have FS9 installed too, and that Tales of the Gold Monkey package is one of my all time favorites. The old flying boat, with the routes and airports that has been mentioned, is a very enjoyable experience, too, though. The scenery from back then, and the pane's cabins, are a peek at the Golden Age of flying, when folks wore good suits to fly, there was real food, served on real plates, with real silverware, and smoking aboard the flight was the norm. Too bad nowadays the plane's are cattle cars, no food, no nice clothes any longer, you name it. I would call these days the leaden age of flying...

I have to say, though, that for me, FSX:SE with the FSDT F/A-18C v16.1, is the cat's meow. I couple that fantastic aircraft with the Nimitz v2 carrier package, AICarriers (the .NET version), vLSO (those ai LSO's hate me, I swear!), and some "interesting" weather, and I can spend hours and hours doing CQ's. I'll probably even get it right some day!

Whatever you fly, have fun with it, is my motto
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

I miss the Dreamfleet 727. Excellent systems reproduction, and a fidelity to the different variants that just hasn't been replicated to the same degree in currently available products, at least in my opinion.
    Craig "CB" Taylor
    Team AVSIM RTWR

The Maule M-7 6 Pack by I forget it's been so long and the default amphib Caravan. Used both of these in FSX till the acceleration update then problems.

Wombat, an FSX-native version of Bill Lyons' Luscombe Silvaire can be found/downloaded here: https://www.classicwings.net/aircraft--l-
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Taylor View Post
    I miss the Dreamfleet 727. Excellent systems reproduction, and a fidelity to the different variants that just hasn't been replicated to the same degree in currently available products, at least in my opinion.
    All I have for a good 727 in FSX is something built on Tom's freeware 727 models. There are limitations to the virtual cockpit model and, of course, the simulator, but I've used a FCOM to implement as much of underlying logic of the real bird as I can. It has custom FDEs for most engine variants and most weight configurations, engine limitations and shenanigans like realistic startup, hot and hung starts, something akin to APR on the -17R, a load manager, automated v-speed bugs and F/O callouts and while the switch sounds aren't realistic, at least the trim clacker sound is.

The problem is that requires an awful lot of time to install and setup which is covered in 15+ pages in what exists of the manual, that the manual itself is incomplete (there's custom checklists though) and that it absolutely requires Tom's model, regardless of what one thinks about its VC textures. No Captain Sim and no TDS exterior model.

I can wrap up what's present and upload it, but there's gonna be one catch: No questions that can be answered by reading (what's present of) the manual are allowed.

I miss the freeware interactive 737, it had a voice checklist that followed your steps through, at the end of shutdown he said something along the lines of lets get out of the straps and have a cold beer, flew that thing heaps and to my shame I can't remember the author, lost it 2 computers ago.
    You take it easy.. and have a nice day

Bill Lyons' Sikorsky S43 from Golden Hawaii. The George Diemer one ported over works well in FSX, but I always liked the looks of Bill's better. Especially when flying it in Golden Wings using the Gold Monkey scenery.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

WOP P-47D bubbletop, which included the XP-72 too.....

Tommy
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    I would say the Calclassic propliners (Convair CV-240, Douglas DC-6/7 etc)
    I also miss them and also planes of Project Fokker.

Wombat, an FSX-native version of Bill Lyons' Luscombe Silvaire can be found/downloaded here: https://www.classicwings.net/aircraft--l-
    Thanks for that, John. I downloaded it out of curiosity and it's not half bad - a lot of different colour schemes, several floatplane versions, reflections in the gauges, an animated passenger and that old Bill Lyons touch - a dangling ignition key. I can recommend it.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Blog Entries
    JustFlight/Aeroplane Heaven Lancaster, that was a great model.

Ian

The AH Seafires work well in FSX. The Lanc might too.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by AusWilko View Post
    I miss the freeware interactive 737, it had a voice checklist that followed your steps through, at the end of shutdown he said something along the lines of lets get out of the straps and have a cold beer, flew that thing heaps and to my shame I can't remember the author, lost it 2 computers ago.
    Sounds like the Air Scheffel 737.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    The AH Seafires work well in FSX. The Lanc might too.
    Thanks for that info Willy, I'll dig out the DVD and give it a try.

Ian

My most missed aircraft plus a head's up

For default fs2004 aircraft... I would say the Cessna 182S.
    Speaking of the Cessna 182S... A.F. Scrub released a FSX native version of the aforementioned plane.
    Last edited by BoeingvsAirbusNKL; May 10th, 2017 at 08:25. Reason: Unwanted autocorrect on title

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    I can wrap up what's present and upload it, but there's gonna be one catch: No questions that can be answered by reading (what's present of) the manual are allowed.
    That sounds like an awful lot to take on, Bjoern, but I appreciate the offer.
    Craig "CB" Taylor
    Team AVSIM RTWR

Members who have read this thread: 0