Beta version or demo of CFS2?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beta version or demo of CFS2?

Question Beta version or demo of CFS2?

Does anyone know of a working download link for the beta version of CFS2? Also, the same thing for the demo (was there ever an official demo of CFS2)? I though it might be interesting to give those a whirl

Since 2000 I never saw or heard of one. At the time, with dial up connection (at 50 kb/sec) being the primary method of connecting to the internet, I doubt that the thought ever crossed anyone's mind.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Thanks for the info, Shadow Wolf 07 Yeah, man, those miserable dialup days LOL!

BTW, as far as the beta version, the only thing that I've seen on the Internet is mention of a "Beta CD-ROM", which I'm assuming was given by Microsoft to only a select few.

Never heard of one for CFS2, But I have what was called the Gold Version for CFS1,
    But I think some gun owners have a saying about prying my fingers off this, Well same
    here...never gonna happen.
    http://www.TheFreeFlightSite.com
    "Laissez les bon temps rouler"

Lightbulb

Sorry for digging up this old message thread, but I recently stumbled upon this image. The image was from an EBay auction that had ended last month that hadn't sold:

ULTRA RARE: Combat Flight Simulator 2 Beta - Microsoft Game Studios

Ended: Nov 17, 2021 , 5:45PM

Up for auction here is an extremely rare and confidential disc from Microsoft Game Studios containing a Beta build of Combat Flight Simulator 2, developed by Microsoft!

To note, there is no license with the disc and I'm uncertain if one is needed.

The disc is in great condition and reads perfectly (I imaged the bits and loaded the image via A120%'s emulated drive just to make sure).

NOTE: Microsoft Game Studios discs are commonly protected with copy protection DRM like SafeDisc/SecuROM. This means you will likely see read errors if you try to rip the disc! Software like A120% is typically needed to image discs like this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 2 Beta.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	372.3 KB 
ID:	85692

INTERESTING!

Icon4 Thar She Blows!!!

WOW ... YOU STRUCK GOLD !!!

Nice find Rich .. your diligence has certainly paid off!
    Mint condition is a REAL BONUS.

I'd create an ISO ... and then lock them in a safety deposit box!!!

Dirtman

~~ CFS2 Fulfills my need to "peacefully" blow things up ~~

Has anyone contacted the seller since it didn't sell and see if they could get it? Wonder if this has the 2 missing P-47s that are found in the INFO folder as .jpgs
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtman View Post
    WOW ... YOU STRUCK GOLD !!!

Nice find Rich .. your diligence has certainly paid off!
    Mint condition is a REAL BONUS.

I'd create an ISO ... and then lock them in a safety deposit box!!!

Actually, the auction had ended back in November and no one had bidded on it. I stumbled on it after the auction had ended, so unfortunately I don't have it

That being said.....

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Has anyone contacted the seller since it didn't sell and see if they could get it? Wonder if this has the 2 missing P-47s that are found in the INFO folder as .jpgs
    I sent the seller two messages, one a few weeks ago, and one today... haven't had a reply yet

@ALL, and YES, if by a slim chance I can get ahold of the seller and am actually able to buy it, I WILL be creating and ISO (probably a CloneCD image) and uploading it somewhere

Ohh Wow , Keep on em Rich , Best of luck !

Quote Originally Posted by Sarg Willy View Post
    Ohh Wow , Keep on em Rich , Best of luck !
    Will do, and thanks!

Maybe no message back because of Christmas? Fingers crossed for a reply soon.

Icon9

Just got a reply back from the seller:

"Hey, Rich! This is unfortunately gone with a bunch of others that sold in bulk of all the ones that didn't sell. Thank you for checking, though!"

JUST MY LUCK <AARRGHH>!

Rip

Arrrrgggggggggghhhhhh!!!

Well thanks for trying Rich, better to get a definitive answer, than not knowing. Shame, as it may have been very interesting what was on that disc!

Cheers

Shessi

Yo Rich

Yeah, I realize you didn't actually get the chance purchase it.

BUT my point is that you did find the CFS2 "Unicorn"

"a mythical beast of legend, but never before seen nor captured"

Thanks to YOU; the once fabled "CFS2 BETA" has been shown to actually exist!!

Move over Indiana Jones ... here comes Rich Nagel!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	(00) laughing blue.gif 
Views:	195 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	85707
    Dirtman

Yes sir , Every one copy that photo , The search is on , although I don,t expect to ever see it in Canada
    one of 50 perhaps , a treasure in a storage locker , Pawn Stars !
    perhaps a hope fund !

Just jumping on this, but IIRC a CFS2 demo was included on FS2002 discs

Ttfn

Pete

Icon22 LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Sarg Willy View Post
    although I don't expect to ever see it in Canada
    That's right .... nuthin' up here 'cept cold beer, hot women & COVID!

Dirtman

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    Just jumping on this, but IIRC a CFS2 demo was included on FS2002 discs
    The thing is, the beta version was different than the retail version (differences with the aircraft/physics, some aircraft in the beta that weren't in the retail). I wasn't aware of a demo version of CFS2, that's something that I've expressed interest in

Just for the record I made Wayback Machines/Web Archives of the eBay listing so if we need to go back and look the listing after eBay deletes it we have it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20211224...m/115104150866
    https://web.archive.org/web/20211224...kAAOSwBzxhdexE

Quote Originally Posted by allen View Post
    just for the record i made wayback machines/web archives of the ebay listing so if we need to go back and look the listing after ebay deletes it we have it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20211224...m/115104150866
    https://web.archive.org/web/20211224...kaaoswbzxhdexe
    Superb!

Lightbulb

I found a message over at FlightSim.com from someone who confirmed that the demo of CFS2 was included on select/certain FS2002 CDs:

Some Copies of Fs2002 were released with a Demo for Combat Flight Simulator 2 and they shared a texture folder
    https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showt...-Fs2002-update!

I'd LOVE to find a version of those CDs that had it!

It will be likely that the FS2002 demo version will be a cut down of the Retail CFS2 sadly.

Why don't you pick up.a full.copy of CFS2 and go that way? I mean, they're all over the place on the Bay for cheap, and all of the 'fixes' are floating out in the ether.

It'll be a more rewarding experience for a real test drive, and if you like it, so much the better.

In its day it was considered one of the best Combat Sims ever made, and the ACES Team had former Fighter Aces Joe Foss and Saburo Sakai as consultants.

If you can, get a Copy with the Manual; it's almost a template on how the Campaigns are modeled.

Good Luck!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ViperPilot2 View Post
    Why don't you pick up.a full.copy of CFS2 and go that way? I mean, they're all over the place on the Bay for cheap, and all of the 'fixes' are floating out in the ether.

It'll be a more rewarding experience for a real test drive, and if you like it, so much the better.

In its day it was considered one of the best Combat Sims ever made, and the ACES Team had former Fighter Aces Joe Foss and Saburo Sakai as consultants.

If you can, get a Copy with the Manual; it's almost a template on how the Campaigns are modeled.

Good Luck!
    Ummmm... I actually own TWO copies of the game, complete with manuals, as well as the two published strategy guides for the game. I also play the game on a daily basis, and have for many years now The purpose of this thread was simply tracking down the beta version of CFS2 for historical purposes

Members who have read this thread: 1