Installation question?

Thread: Installation question?

Icon5 Installation question?

Hi,

I've just about got my new rig set up and almost ready to install FSX. My question is should I install FSXSe only (my ideal) or is it wise to install FSXGold first then FSXSE? Having both versions installed seems superfluous but I'm somewhat worried some payware installers will not work with FSXSE. Does anyone know if that is the case? Are there workarounds (dummy FSX folder trick, etc.)?

If it is best to have both installed, can I roll back one install (say FSX Gold) to a vintage era install without affecting FSXSE (I can't see how altering one would affect the other, but you never know)?

Any other HU/warnings/advise greatly appreciated.

regards,
    Jamie

The best way to ensure most legacy installers do find FSX-SE is to install it stand alone. A stand alone FSX-SE install will use the same user settings folders as legacy FSX. If you install legacy FSX and FSX-SE side by side, FSX-SE will create different folder locations and legacy installers will install the product into the legacy FSX folders. This does not need to be a big deal, you can manually move the files to the FSX-Se folders.
    I have FSX-SE stand alone for more than a year now and never had any major problems with installers.

Just as an aside; if you plan on installing the VRS Superbug, you won't be able to if you have both FSX-O and FSX-SE installed. Needs to be one or the other. NC

Thanks guys. Taken on board.

I don't have the VRS Superbug for FSX, just FS9. I may procure at some point, but my list of wanted addons is mammoth, lol. I still intend to use my old FS9 installs, too much time, money and effort to abandon. I'll stick to FSXSE only I think, and use FS9 for period installs (I have 7 saved to an HDD with custom planes/scenery/traffic/etc to reflect different eras. FS9 runs every slider full right like Ben Johnson on stanozolol. Hoping FSX runs well too.

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by JDTinballs View Post
    Hoping FSX runs well too.
    Not too impressed so far, going from a Q6600 quad 2Ghz 3GB Ram to an i7 6700K 4.4GHz 16GB DDR4, bit disappointed, performance seems similar, go figure. Gonna need some tweaking me thinks.

Jamie

Members who have read this thread: 0