HMS Bounty Work Boat - The Launch
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: HMS Bounty Work Boat - The Launch

HMS Bounty Work Boat - The Launch

Reviving discussion of the Bounty's work boat - the Launch - as Nigel is getting back to texturing this infamous craft.

I started this project back when HMS Bounty was awaiting her exterior colors - thank you very much Nigel. :-)

The plans for the Launch came from Anatomy of the Ship - HMS Bounty by John McKay, published by Conway Maritime Express. (Available thru a web search)

After the Admiralty purchased the Bethia on 27 May 1787, she was moved to Deptford yard to begin fitting for her purposeful voyage under her new name, HM Armed Vessel Bounty.

Lt. Bligh was assigned to command the vessel on 26 August and began to supervise her fitting.

Skipping forward to the topic at hand, I have attached an excerpt from the publication regarding the ship's boats, and the drawing from which the Launch was modeled.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Description.jpg   Bounty-launch (Large).jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

In addition, I found a few nice model pictures and drawings online of the Launch and used them for casual reference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails model-comprehensive.JPG   model-full.JPG   plan.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

With these things in hand, I felt I could proceed with modeling.

Here are a few wireframes of the Launch that show basic construction bones.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2015-apr-7-029.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2015-apr-7-026.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2015-apr-7-025.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Once the basic model is completed, I explored texture mapping techniques and got her in the sims (FS9 and FSX) with a working FM similar to the one used for HMS Bounty. She has has the same basic sail management program and requires winds to move.

Textures shown are temporary from an earlier mapping.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2015-apr-7-017 (Large).jpg   HOMEUNIT-2015-apr-7-019 (Large).jpg   HOMEUNIT-2015-apr-7-020 (Large).jpg   HOMEUNIT-2015-apr-7-023 (Large).jpg   The HMS Launch (Large).jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Members +
    Great to see this happening.
    Thanks, Milton.

Cheers,
    Robin

We have since added provisions, oars, anchor, and other necessities to the interior, remapped to Nigel's specs, and now she is in the paint shop.

We also created a variant with asymmetric sails as are commonly used in the northern regions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOMEUNIT-2016-aug-7-016.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Charter Member 2012 nigel richards's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    We have since added provisions, oars, anchor, and other necessities to the interior, remapped to Nigel's specs, and now she is in the paint shop.

We also created a variant with asymmetric sails as are commonly used in the northern regions.
    She is indeed now in the paint shop, and once again; all that remapping of individual interior formers must have been a major 'chore'!

Much appreciated, Skipper; will add enormously to light/shadow potential and woodgrain variations. :-)
    Most men often say what they think!
    An honest man usually means what he says!
    A gentleman always says what he means!

"Αίεν Υψικρατείν "

A fool is not he who asks a simple question, but he who would simply have its asking denied. (Richards 2012)

Charter Member 2011
    Quite a leap of faith, modeller to painter, to embark on that revision!
    Well worth it by the look of it...

Nice to see the model progression, how many polygons go into a Work Boat?

Now to recreate the journey 3500 miles in the launch methinks.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutiny_on_the_Bounty

Ttfn

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Wing_Z View Post
    Quite a leap of faith, modeller to painter, to embark on that revision!
    Well worth it by the look of it...

Nice to see the model progression, how many polygons go into a Work Boat?
    Poly count is just under 7000 right now ... without a human contingent. Have not decided what to do there yet.

EDIT: Suggestions welcomed. I have poly room for 4-6 figures at least, maybe up to 10 but that would be one heckuva texturing challenge.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Here are some similarly rigged boats to the asymmetrical sail variant. There are also some interesting YouTube videos of these boats in operation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Launch.jpg   Plume-1.jpg   Plume-2.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post

Ttfn

Pete
    Pete, oh my, with fair winds I can see averaging 10 knots or 350 hours, or 14.5 days. Hmmmm, who has the tiller, Mate?
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

In the doldrums short of grog and watching endless mallards

How about a crew of:

Cap'n Bligh hisself
    Ships cat
    Matelots x 3
    and open bullion trunk filled with 'pieces of eight'

?

And name it the 'Jolly Shupe'

Anyone got groats for grog . . . . ?

Nicely executed Milton!

Mal

Quote Originally Posted by vonernsk View Post
    How about a crew of:

Cap'n Bligh hisself
    Ships cat
    Matelots x 3
    and open bullion trunk filled with 'pieces of eight'

?

And name it the 'Jolly Shupe'

Anyone got groats for grog . . . . ?

Nicely executed Milton!

Mal
    Thank you Mal. I had to look up Matelot (shows where my career was not) :-)

I seriously doubt Christian Fletcher would give up the only working feline aboard ship. His female companion was more about pleasure than housekeeping.

Models for humans are difficult to do, and hard to texture well, but I will investigate the possibilities.

As for the grog, 'tis stowed just forward of the main mast on the starboard side.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Milton,

T'is all but a jest. A cask of grog will suffice and a following wind to the Spice Islands.

Love your work and talent.

Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post

Ttfn

Pete
    Pete,

Thinking about that 3500 mile trip with 19 souls aboard, the article states:

" ... 19 men were crowded into the launch, leaving it dangerously low in the water with only seven inches of freeboard."

Can you imagine only 7" above the water-line in open seas? Not sure how they weathered the storms.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Pete,

Thinking about that 3500 mile trip with 19 souls aboard, the article states:

" ... 19 men were crowded into the launch, leaving it dangerously low in the water with only seven inches of freeboard."

Can you imagine only 7" above the water-line in open seas? Not sure how they weathered the storms.
    Literally bailing and pumping for their lives I suppose. Did the launch have a deck over the bow section?

Poly count is just under 7000 right now ... without a human contingent. Have not decided what to do there yet.

EDIT: Suggestions welcomed. I have poly room for 4-6 figures at least, maybe up to 10 but that would be one heckuva texturing challenge.
    How about Captain Bligh standing at the tiller, one sailor in the bow standing up with a telescope, scanning the horizon, two sailors manning the lines (assuming the boat is sailing) and2-4 guy just sitting (maybe with an optional sun-sail)?

Alternatively there could be six guys rowing, + tiller and lookout (I wish!). Rowers could all be the same, but of course the animation would be nasty.

Sascha

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha66 View Post
    Literally bailing and pumping for their lives I suppose. Did the launch have a deck over the bow section?
    Apparently the plans for the model ship and boats showed the deck over the bow section.

The plan I used, supposedly the original launch plan, did not show the deck. However, the launch was redesigned by Bligh when the 3 boats were replaced by two and they made the Launch slightly longer as a work boat.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha66 View Post
    How about Captain Bligh standing at the tiller, one sailor in the bow standing up with a telescope, scanning the horizon, two sailors manning the lines (assuming the boat is sailing) and2-4 guy just sitting (maybe with an optional sun-sail)?

Alternatively there could be six guys rowing, + tiller and lookout (I wish!). Rowers could all be the same, but of course the animation would be nasty.

Sascha
    LOL Yes, that would be a 30K poly challenge for sure. Probably take 3 months to get it all together, textured, and animated, with appropriate custom xml to show/hide figures. Of course, some would rather have a kid and fishing pole casting off the bow, and Dad at the tiller. Others just want quiet seclusion leisurely cruising around the lake. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I should pay more attention. Great addition to your superb model of the Bounty Milton. Will you be model Cpt. Bligh and his loyal men sitting in the boat?
    For those interested in the history and have not read the trilogy by Charles Nordhoff and James Norman Hall (1932) I highly recommend it. By far of the three, Mutiny on the Bounty, Men Against the Sea and Pitcairn Island, Men Against the Sea is the best of the three. It will give you a whole different perspective on the man Bligh. Their voyage after being cast off from the Bounty is an epic story of survival that I doubt few people could accomplish today.

Paul "Mechanic" Domingue
    Maximum 3ds Maximus

Icon25

Found the trilogy at Project Gutenberg Australia. http://gutenberg.net.au/plusfifty-n-z.html.
    Free e-books...
    Looking forward to this nice addition to the beautiful Bounty !
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Penzoil3 View Post
    Found the trilogy at Project Gutenberg Australia. http://gutenberg.net.au/plusfifty-n-z.html.
    Free e-books...
    Sue
    Because of the age of publication it is in the public domain. I wouldn't mind reading it again. Is it in Kindle version?
    On another note, if you like high seas adventures I highly recommend Patrick O'Brien's Aubrey/Maturin series. Look it up and when you start reading it you will through rocks at Hollywood.

Paul "Mechanic" Domingue
    Maximum 3ds Maximus

Free e-books...
    Sue
    Oh Wow! Thanks Sue

I started reading Men Against the Sea last night; on Chapter 10 now.

Charles NORDHOFF (1887-1947) and James Norman HALL (1887-1951)
    • The Bounty Trilogy (Wyeth Edition, 1945)
      Comprising the Three Volumes:
      * Mutiny on the Bounty (1932)--Text--ZIP--HTML
      * Men Against the Sea (1933)--Text--ZIP--HTML
      * Pitcairn's Island (1934)--Text--ZIP--HTML
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Free e-books...
    Sue
    Thanks for the HU!

Members who have read this thread: 0