Douglas C-47 v3 Livery Thread - Page 3
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast

Thread: Douglas C-47 v3 Livery Thread

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Airsmith View Post
    I did make some Repaints in RTAF of this wonderful Bird. Big Thanks to Manfred Jahn/Jan Viser and Team its so nice to fly this Old Lady

If i one day find out how to upload this files here i will share it with the comunity. What you think about it?
    What scenery is this. It's beautiful and I have been trying to find good Thai scenery, especially u-tapao.

Gents, excuse me for butting in. I really have no clue where the idea came from that there's supposed to be a complete ring of heavy oil and soot stains behind the cowl flaps (as can be seen in some of the repaint screenies..). On photos of real DC-3's/C-47's there is usually no evidence of such heavy 'weathering' there behind the cowl flaps. I saw one (in another thread) that even looks like both engines have been on fire for a couple of hours... ;-)

Of course still flying Dakotas today that belong to musea and such are kept in immaculate condition and appearance, including the engine nacelles, but there are still quite a few photos around of Dakotas during their working life in the 1950's, 60's etc. that show hardly any evidence of heavy oil/soot there behind the cowl flaps let alone burned out engines...

A nice example from my own collection. Typical BEA cargo workhorse. Fairly, what you might call 'weathered' as you can see, but a pretty clean area behind the cowl flaps. (the dark area at the front is the shadow of the cowlflaps and because the structure bends inwards there. With closed cowl flaps nothing dark to see there ):

(btw, anyone interested in doing a repaint of this beautiful BEA livery ? I have some color photos too.. ;-)

Another one of KLM PH-DAM in the late 50's :

Couple more from airliners.net :

RAN C-47 in 1988
    http://cdn-www.airliners.net/photos/...8348.jpg?v=v20

TAA C-47 1968
    http://cdn-www.airliners.net/photos/...1667.jpg?v=v20

Shawnee C-47 late 1970's
    http://cdn-www.airliners.net/photos/...0788.jpg?v=v20

Emerald C-53D 1967
    http://cdn-www.airliners.net/photos/...7897.jpg?v=v20

Philippine Airlines C-47 1980
    http://cdn-www.airliners.net/photos/...4001.jpg?v=v20

Certainly there are a few others that do show evidence of something hot and oily going on inside that front cowling there but notice how these oil or soot stains appear more like 'lines' coming from individual cylinders that might need replacement...

N6CA mid 70's
    http://cdn-www.airliners.net/photos/...2349.jpg?v=v20

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/photos/...6136.jpg?v=v20

N49FN mid 70's
    http://cdn-www.airliners.net/photos/...1290.jpg?v=v20

N27ISE Florida Air Cargo 2015
    http://cdn-www.airliners.net/photos/...7380.jpg?v=v20

Anyway, just something i couldn't help noticing. No criticising whatsoever. On ze contrary, very much looking forward to all these wonderful repaints.

Thanks for listening, gentlemen.

cheers,
    jan

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Gents, excuse me for butting in. I really have no clue where the idea came from that there's supposed to be a complete ring of heavy oil and soot stains behind the cowl flaps (as can be seen in some of the repaint screenies..).
    Maybe it should be removed from the paintkit(?)

N27ISE Florida Air Cargo 2015
    http://cdn-www.airliners.net/photos/...7380.jpg?v=v20

Anyway, just something i couldn't help noticing. No criticising whatsoever. On ze contrary, very much looking forward to all these wonderful repaints.
    I love the livery on that Florida Air Cargo plane!!

DC3 BKS Air Transport

Yet another site with some history of DC/C47 aircraft back in the day when Leeds Bradford Airport was known as Yeadon Airport.
    I can remember it as a flying club.

http://website.lineone.net/~biggles200/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by TeiscoDelRay View Post
    Has this livery been done? If not I would like to do it.

Bush Air Cargo
    Please DO!!
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by TeiscoDelRay View Post
    Has this livery been done? If not I would like to do it.

Bush Air Cargo
    Please DO!!....oh - I see that you ARE doing it...GREAT!
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Gents, excuse me for butting in. I really have no clue where the idea came from that there's supposed to be a complete ring of heavy oil and soot stains behind the cowl flaps (as can be seen in some of the repaint screenies..). On photos of real DC-3's/C-47's there is usually no evidence of such heavy 'weathering' there behind the cowl flaps. I saw one (in another thread) that even looks like both engines have been on fire for a couple of hours... ;-)

Of course still flying Dakotas today that belong to musea and such are kept in immaculate condition and appearance, including the engine nacelles, but there are still quite a few photos around of Dakotas during their working life in the 1950's, 60's etc. that show hardly any evidence of heavy oil/soot there behind the cowl flaps let alone burned out engines...

A nice example from my own collection. Typical BEA cargo workhorse. Fairly, what you might call 'weathered' as you can see, but a pretty clean area behind the cowl flaps. (the dark area at the front is the shadow of the cowlflaps and because the structure bends inwards there. With closed cowl flaps nothing dark to see there ):

Certainly there are a few others that do show evidence of something hot and oily going on inside that front cowling there but notice how these oil or soot stains appear more like 'lines' coming from individual cylinders that might need replacement...

Thanks for listening, gentlemen.

cheers,
    jan
    I usually stay clear of discussions regarding correct colors, and weathering because they can be so subjective and can get out of hand very quickly. So, at the risk of stirring the pot, and with all due respect and admiration for one of our hobby's most prolific developers, I will comment on this particular subject.

First off, I agree with Jan re the current C-47/DC-3 fliers. For the most part they are kept in pristine condition, including the engine cowls and nacelles. However there are many examples of operational military C-47s, and even a few civilian airliners with varying degrees of oil and soot on the nacelles behind the cowl flaps, a few of which are posted below.

So, from this repainter's point of view, I respectfully disagree with Jan's statement in his first paragraph. While I also agree with Jan re that degree of such "weathering" may come into question. But, that is usually determined by many factors such as personal taste, skill level and experience with repainting. As for myself, I repaint subjects for me. Most times I try to make them as accurate as possible. However, there are times when I take artistic license with such things, and because it's for me, it's OK if others don't care for them.

Finally, this is not a debate or argument. It is my humble opinion only, and I will not engage in any back and forth because I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. Just sharing an opinion.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	610SQD-C-47-England1944.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	41090 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image18.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	41091 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Douglas_SC-47D_4661420687.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	41093

Steve
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

The last livery for the KLM C-47

As I already said in a previous post, I'm currently replacing the engines and adjusting the textures of my earlier repaints to fit the V.3 version.

There was also one KLM livery missing: The last one! This is the PH-DAW as it looked in December 1968 at Schiphol, Amsterdam. It was the last C-47 to fly in KLM colours. Although the last DC-3/C-47 officially left the KLM passenger fleet already in 1965, 2 C-47s kept flying for KLM Aerocarto. The PH-DAW was the last to be sold in 1970.

It took this long to start this repaint, as I personally consider this the most boring livery on a KLM C-47s. (Still work in progress)

I hope this one will make Jan Visser happy .

Cheers,
    Huub

BEA V3 Texture

I second Jan's suggestion for a BEA texture for this bird! The BEA Paint scheme is one of the truly beautiful Dakota paint schemes, and(amazingly) it hasn't yet been done. PLEASE, one of you talented painters, do a BES version!

Best to you all,

Bill

Hi guys
    Would anyone be interested in doing me a repaint for the MMA VH-MMB please

thank you

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0250.956l.jpg   mma.dc3.vhmmb.jpg   0250.211al.jpg  

Admiral Arriving

This is a V2 convert to V3 (yes, it has the V3 VVC) Tail wheel tire low on air.

Spotted at NAS Alameda.

Quote Originally Posted by Alky View Post
    Maybe it should be removed from the paintkit(?)
    Ok! Didn't know it comes with the paintkit.. ( as much as i've always loved repainting, IMHO one of the most entertaining and rewarding FS jobs, i simply can't find the time anymore so i have actually never seen the paintkit for Manfred's Dakota ). I guess i'll have to sit round the table with my friend Gordon then...

Thanks for the tip!

Cheers,
    Jan

Is anyone working on a USA private livery? I'd love to fly an N number online. I think there's a shiny N3006 somewhere. http://www.airport-data.com/images/a...522/522461.jpg
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Blog Entries
    Ok! Didn't know it comes with the paintkit.. ( as much as i've always loved repainting, IMHO one of the most entertaining and rewarding FS jobs, i simply can't find the time anymore so i have actually never seen the paintkit for Manfred's Dakota ). I guess i'll have to sit round the table with my friend Gordon then...

Thanks for the tip!

Cheers,
    Jan
    EZ Peazy Jan...the cowl bluing is a layer in the PK. It can be turned off for a much more subtle discoloration. I'll make a clean gray base layer with no baked in wear and post it up as an update.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by Duckie View Post
    I usually stay clear of discussions regarding correct colors, and weathering because they can be so subjective and can get out of hand very quickly. So, at the risk of stirring the pot, and with all due respect and admiration for one of our hobby's most prolific developers, I will comment on this particular subject.

First off, I agree with Jan re the current C-47/DC-3 fliers. For the most part they are kept in pristine condition, including the engine cowls and nacelles. However there are many examples of operational military C-47s, and even a few civilian airliners with varying degrees of oil and soot on the nacelles behind the cowl flaps, a few of which are posted below.

So, from this repainter's point of view, I respectfully disagree with Jan's statement in his first paragraph. While I also agree with Jan re that degree of such "weathering" may come into question. But, that is usually determined by many factors such as personal taste, skill level and experience with repainting. As for myself, I repaint subjects for me. Most times I try to make them as accurate as possible. However, there are times when I take artistic license with such things, and because it's for me, it's OK if others don't care for them.

Finally, this is not a debate or argument. It is my humble opinion only, and I will not engage in any back and forth because I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. Just sharing an opinion.

Steve
    Hi Steve,

It's just something i've seen on quite a few repaints for Manfred's C-47 v2 model as well. At average that much oil/soot behind the cowlflaps just doesn't belong there. As i hoped to show with the photos i provided in my post about it...

Anyway, no big deal, just doesn't look right in my ol' Dakota aficionado eyes, that's all.

Cheers,
    Jan

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    I hope this one will make Jan Visser happy .
    Afraid not, Huub...

I deffinately agree with you that this is the least attractive DC-3 KLM livery. But thanks for doing it anyway!

Actually i'm waiting for the other KLM liveries that you've done for the v2 model. F.i. this beauty here :

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?82308-Another-KLM-livery-for-Manfred-Jahn-s-C-47

In my KLM Dakota book the most gorgeous livery of them all. But i've always been a stickler for the bare-metal blue nose too of course.

Thanks again for doing such a fine job on the KLM DC-3 liveries, Huub. Goes without saying they are my favourite.

Groeten,
    Jan

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    EZ Peazy Jan...the cowl bluing is a layer in the PK. It can be turned off for a much more subtle discoloration. I'll make a clean gray base layer with no baked in wear and post it up as an update.
    Righto, Gordon !

Cheers,
    Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Gold View Post
    I second Jan's suggestion for a BEA texture for this bird! The BEA Paint scheme is one of the truly beautiful Dakota paint schemes, and(amazingly) it hasn't yet been done. PLEASE, one of you talented painters, do a BEA version!
    Remember this, Bill ?...:

I adapted the complete G-AMNV configuration, including the very typical cabin windows arrangement, just to do the beautiful BEA livery for the Maam-Sim DC-3 model (one is a dedicated Dakota nutter or one is not.. ). We can't have that for Manfred's model of course, atleast not for the time being, but that doesn't mean that this gorgeous BEA livery would look absolutely fabulous on it.

Should there be any takers, here's a color photo of the real thing :

Fingers crossed, Bill !

Cheers,
    Jan

Arrr the Ole BEA .. think these are really going to takeoff, even with the metal texture .. I'm already thinking of adding Photo Metal ... ... won't be the plane unless they would drag it out the hanger for me

Yup.. it would look great in BEA Keyline too.. even Railway Air Services. Lots of lovely bare metal to admire

ATB
    DaveB

I was in the midst of doing something Qantas...but revisited the Gooney Bird yet again....knocked a bit more blue out of the blue...put in a metal edge to the windows [had to find them exactly first] and changed the curved corners to the emergency exits....
    Eventually there's a law of diminishing returns.....and I can get back to the Qantas...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gooney again.jpg  

ok im on my hands and knees begging for this repaint lol. Im after the MAAM R4D 50819 in her origional grey scheme. I know theres the old V2 repaint in polished, but Im in love with the original old grey Bird...Would there be ANYONE willing to do a good detailed repaint of this old bird?
    http://www.maam.org/airshow/images/r4d_exterior.jpg

Its A Joke, but it's true

Quote Originally Posted by Duckie View Post

Steve
    Back 25 years or so ago I owned a small company that produced a line we called "EXACT-MIX" paints for model ships. The paints were formulated from actual WWII paint chips for the U.S.N. , Royal Navy and Kriegsmarine. After sending a set of six colors overseas, we received a letter back with a Xerox copy of a black/white photo from the customer telling us that a particular shade of gray did not match his photo he was using for reference. I won't get into explanation of angle of the sun, cloud cover or age of the film or print of the photo etc. here. Needless to say, I NEVER ever get into discussions of colors from black/white photos. LOL.

Maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    This is a V2 convert to V3 (yes, it has the V3 VVC) Tail wheel tire low on air.

Spotted at NAS Alameda.

Better check the Form 1A for a "down gripe" on that tailwheel before the Admiral comes out of Air Ops, G.E. BTW nice airport, LOL.

Regard to tail wheel in the dirt, that is also caused by custom scenery flattens, check you tail wheel at a default .. Edwards would be Ideal

Members who have read this thread: 19