Douglas C-47 v3 Livery Thread - Page 8
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151618 ... LastLast

Thread: Douglas C-47 v3 Livery Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    That's a decent first effort mate

A few points you should be able to adjust.. the white on the roof should extend fwd of the aerial above the flightdeck. The upper orange/dayglo goes all the way down the dorsal. Take the 'BOLD' off the N.DAK.AIR GUARD titles and move it fwd (it starts mid-way through the window above the wing LE). The fin looks white too.. not silver.

Not the easiest paint to take on as a first effort. Good job thus far
    ATB
    DaveB
    Thank you for taking the time...I have done a lot of complex B737s with Virtual Alaska Airlines with the Disney repaints and some difficult original nose art in A2A B-17s but always worked in Paintshop Pro with blank texture dds files or was able to "patch over" NOT PSD. This was 21 hours of work non-stop so I appreciate your encouragement. I may wait until next week until I open this up again unless I feel like punishing myself later. LOL. I can't help it, I just don't like Adobe Photoshop much preferring Corel Paintshop Pro but it does not properly open up the layered PSD file. Again, thank you for taking the time to point out the stuff to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    Thank you for taking the time...I have done a lot of complex B737s with Virtual Alaska Airlines with the Disney repaints and some difficult original nose art in A2A B-17s but always worked in Paintshop Pro with blank texture dds files or was able to "patch over" NOT PSD. This was 21 hours of work non-stop so I appreciate your encouragement. I may wait until next week until I open this up again unless I feel like punishing myself later. LOL. I can't help it, I just don't like Adobe Photoshop much preferring Corel Paintshop Pro but it does not properly open up the layered PSD file. Again, thank you for taking the time to point out the stuff to fix.
    I know exactly how you feel mate. I've used PS Elements for years. It's like the proverbial old pair of gloves. I know what it can do.. what it can't do and the things I have to do to make it work for me. As things have progressed, many PSD's will only open with CS2 (without losing layer detail) and some won't even open with that. I dislike CS2 with a passion and am never happy using it Thanks for taking my comments in the spirit they were intended
    ATB
    DaveB

Blog Entries
    Another in a series of WWII skins, C-47A Skytrain' SN: 42-92841. The "Turf and Sport Special" was a 61st Troop Carrier Squadron C-47A that took part in Operation "Market Garden" during September of 1944.

Link
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...rt-Special-zip

I was lucky enough to find some good exterior/interior shots of this airplane and put together a cockpit color scheme to closely re-produce the warbird.

Interior:

Green with black yoke and quadrant. Canvas seat covers with tan leather armrests. I've done some detailing on many of the parts, adding occlusion shadowing where appropriate, dirt and wear to the metal seat buckets, scratches to the window frames, and a bunch of personalizing to give this plane/interior combination a unique signature. The interior textures are based on originals by Jan Visser. All modifications/adaptations are by me and intended to be specific for this airplane. Feel free to alias other models to this interior texture, but please don't use my (or anyone else's) texture sheets in your own skins without permission.

Exterior:
    DXT5 4096 x 4096 resolution with enhanced bump maps and specular files. I chose to represent the airplane as it would have appeared throughout it's long service life, rather than in the restored version. Maybe I'll do that one later on, or leave it for one of our skinners.

Shown here in Prepar3D V 3.3.5 | HDR Enabled | ASN 2016 Weather

Last edited by gman5250; August 5th, 2016 at 17:59.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Thank you sir..just BEAUTIFUL and Historical..As always great job..Wonderful model!

A few of my favorite C-47's/C-53's flying today:

C-47 "Betty's Biscuit Bomber" N47SJ from the Gooney Bird Group (the fresh shade of early olive drab on this one is awesome): https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=...ate-taken-desc
    C-47 "Willa Dean" N791HH from the Lyon Air Museum: https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=...ate-taken-desc
    C-53 "D-Day Doll" N45366 from the Inland Empire Wing of the Commemorative Air Force: https://www.flickr.com/search/?sort=...=1&text=N45366
    C-47 "What's Up Doc" N60154 from the Palm Springs Air Museum: https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=...ate-taken-desc
    C-53 "The Duchess of Dakota" N603MC from the Texas Flying Legends Museum (on two occasions, has sported temporary brushed-on/mopped-on invasion stripes and wartime graffiti): https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=N603MC

My absolute favorite...

C-47 "Drag-'Em-Oot" N473DC from the Dakota Heritage Inc. Trust (flown/based in England - one of the few to have the Rebecca antennas fitted, like the FS model): https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=...ate-taken-desc

(Anyone wishing to do this one, note that the letter and serial on the tail are the same shade of grey as the "3X" by the nose.)

Having a bit of a chuckle here , Marty stopped in checking on latest projects, showing him one paint I'm working on , showed him were I spilled the can of paint, couple blobs of light blue rolling around on the tires, course only one tires until you taxi .. blop blop blop , this was all giving a little lesson and showing the ease of painting what to look for , he's off home now maybe to try it out himself.

Help

Thanks to DaveB for pointing out a few mistakes in my ND ANG repaint above. Here is it with all the changes (except one). I have taken a shot of the PSD to show what it does where the dorsal fin is supposed to be but there's just a dip in the top of the fuselage. Meaning I am sure it is elsewhere and the mdl file puts it there. I can't paint it orange if I can't find it though. If memory serves the PSD was created by ********. Hey Gordon will you take a picture and put an arrow where the dorsal fin is on the PSD in the paint kit so I can make it orange. Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NDAK 98300 in FSX.jpg   Paintkit.jpg  

Another one almost done. Got a few others that I have been working on that need some more work then I will upload here.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

That looks gorgeous, Joe! I will definitely be looking forward to that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    That looks gorgeous, Joe! I will definitely be looking forward to that one.
    Thanks John, just a few stencils that I need to find for the doors and that one will be finished.

joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

I repeat John's exact words .. except 'Friggen Gorgeous' , such a brilliant and easy paint kit to work with, that result super thumbs up from here

Woah! Awesome paint
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Gordon, thanks for your outstanding T&S Special. I seem to be having a problem with missing textures in the VC however. I note that certain VC files are .bmp's rather than .dds and wonder if perhaps this has anything to do with it. I'm using FSX if that makes a difference.

Oh, and thanks for your cowl indicator fix on KG374. That bird is now absolutely perfect.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzz1 View Post
    Gordon, thanks for your outstanding T&S Special. I seem to be having a problem with missing textures in the VC however. I note that certain VC files are .bmp's rather than .dds and wonder if perhaps this has anything to do with it. I'm using FSX if that makes a difference.

Oh, and thanks for your cowl indicator fix on KG374. That bird is now absolutely perfect.
    Thanks for pointing that out fuzz1. Gremlins....

Just delete those .bmp files, the sim is defaulting to those instead of the .dds files.
    Corrected files are uploading as of the time of this post.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

That fixed it Gordon, appreciate your lightning response to this.
    This VC is superb, not to mention the exterior. You're not exactly making it easy to pick a favorite.

No issues at all for me Gordon for this stellar skin/paint and VVC mod .... awesome work ! Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Warren View Post
    I repeat John's exact words .. except 'Friggen Gorgeous' , such a brilliant and easy paint kit to work with, that result super thumbs up from here
    Ditto....
    So far I've been using a seriously dumbed-down Paint Kit....sort of opened in PE 5 which lost much of the layers....then had to flatten each one to save as a layered [but simpler] PSD that I could then open with my weapon-of-choice which is PSP6. So roughly 8 layers each of which were 'flat' from which to rework into a 'functional' PSP 'kit'.

Since then I remembered I had PSPX on an old computer and whacked it on here alongside the 6. Now I could 'mostly' load the full PSD and get it to save as a PSP6-compatible PSP file....and find there are squillions of layers.

But, since I'm a creature of habit I'm just picking and choosing some of the layers and adding them to what I'd already come up with....since I'm used to what I'd got so far.

Colour me weird....but it works for me.

At least now I have actual transparent rivet layers and stuff...

[good thing I'd only released one paint so far....but am about to upload 4 more]

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    [good thing I'd only released one paint so far....but am about to upload 4 more]
    Looking forward to your efforts ... here I am and again simply get stopped by visits .. but that is still all good

Thanks YoYo

A really beautiful skin!

Huub

@Joe.. that's a lovely paint mate
    @DWG.. Likewise. Glad you revisited that one. Another instant download for me

@tgycgijoes.. That already looks better mate. I've a feeling that the white on the upper roof should come fwd of the roof aerial. Can't find a shot of her at the correct angle but looking at how close it comes to the flightdeck side windows.. I reckon it does go fwd of the aerial. Maybe the text should come a wee bit more fwd too.
    I've not looked at the PK yet but looking at Joe's paint with all orange fin and dorsal.. it seems to coincide with the dent in the roof shown on the PK. Will take a look this afternoon
    ATB
    DaveB

beautiful
    each day I like it more
    this bird c47
    simple and nice
    more and better

Now that I've got hold of the layers [mostly] I've been reworking the Gooney Bird ..... certainly missed a few things...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gooney rework.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 18