Douglas C-47 v3 Livery Thread - Page 7
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141517 ... LastLast

Thread: Douglas C-47 v3 Livery Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    Jafo a quick comment if I may, the blue on the roundels etc seems a little bright to my eye. FWIW.
    Working with old photos where the colour emulsion was iffy at best...and age deterioration lightens them [red in particular] means what looks right matching a photo doesn't always match reality.
    I've pulled back the colours more, but as yet haven't got a definitive BGR definition for the roundels of the time....and they do change.

After yet more hunting.... I'm pretty confident the RAAF roundels are 'right' for the vintage now.

"Confidence".... that feeling you have immediately before you fully understand the situation ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RAAF-Final-recolour.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Portia911 View Post
    Hey Trifly, I'm doing pretty much the same using this skin from Jankees:
    http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/...rlines-n65276/
    It's for the v2 version but sits nicely on the new v3 Dak.

Just flew mine up to Phoenix from LA. I'll do a return to Safford next, and then start heading north - trying where possible to match FTX Global free airports with stops on the Frontier timetables like this one:
    http://www.timetableimages.com/ttima...l55/fl55-1.jpg
    Happy flights!
    Thank you...thank you. I did a search for this but only came up with the MAAM version.

I use CalClassic Scenery for my airports...they have Stapleton Airport (1958 version), which also gets rid of the new KDEN airport. They also have several airports for the Southwestern US that are from the 50's. Address is http://www.calclassic.com/ if you haven't visited...great for flying in the Classic era...no jetways.

Thanks again.

The towel is in my hand and I'm about to throw it in! I have tried every combination of layers etc. to get over this problem:

aaaagh! It's just that bit on the nose. Everywhere else is normal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails c-47nose.JPG  

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Attwood View Post
    aaaagh! It's just that bit on the nose. Everywhere else is normal.
    The rivets will be in the texture, spec and bump layers, or are you referring to the belly band stripe?

Are you working in the PK?
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

It was the blue stripe. Yes, in PK. A quick reinstall of PS sorted it out. Thanks.

It comes of fiddling with thing one has no right to fiddle with.

Blog Entries
    It was the blue stripe. Yes, in PK. A quick reinstall of PS sorted it out. Thanks.
    One trick I use when I do a radius stripe.

Compose the stripe at twice the resolution you will actually be using. Do it in a separate doc.
    Feather the edges of the stripe by 0.5 pixel.

Reduce the resolution of your part to the actual resolution of the file you are using i.e. 4096 down to 2048.

Grab a beer...

The combination of the feather and the file size reduction will soften those jagged edges that are inherent in a radius mask created object.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

See? Already you've gone right over this poor ol' boy's head.

Cool

My guess is:

you'll need the beer
    to make it clear...

Blog Entries
    See? Already you've gone right over this poor ol' boy's head.
    Nah....OK start with the beer....then....

The problem in creating a belly band line using a circle mask as in the case of the DAK nose section is that the mask, which creates the circle, leaves horrible pixelated steps at the edges.

The way to cure this is to make the circle in a very high resolution layer i.e. 4096 x 4096. If you make the circle large, the edges will become smoother because the circle requires many more pixels to create the edge.
    When you create the circle mask, apply a feathered edge to the mask using a setting of 0.5 pixels. This will very softly blur the edge. You can then fill the object.

Now select your circle and apply a mask. Use the transform tool to reduce the mask by a few pixels and use edit/clear to remove the center. Now you have a ring. At this point you can reduce the image size down to 2048 x 2048, or whatever your skin texture sheet resolution is. Usually 2048 now days.

At this point you can drag the ring into your skin texture sheet and size/trim to fit the graphic. The resulting arc should much smoother than if you had made it at actual working size.

Now...grab another beer.....
    Thomas Jefferson

4x my skins "Olive drab series" uploaded, enjoy:

SOH: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum....php?catid=180
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

How long does it take for this site to approve an upload and post it?

It seems to take forever.

Cheers Chris

After Looking

After all the looking I did, I was 100 numbers off of the Ohio ANG 42-93790 but in looking on Joe's serial number site, 10 down I found a really interesting history of 42-93800:

History:
    178 FIS/119 FIG/ND ANG VC-47A

Originally C-47A-25-DK

c/n 13752 in 1987 at Museum of State Historical Society, Bismarck, ND, but nominally on charge of USAFM. Also reported to be at North Dakota ANG, Fargo, ND

Photographer: Stephen Miller
    Photo taken 10 May 1963 at Andrews AFB.

93800 (MSN 13752) Redesignated VC-47A in 1984 and transferred to North Dakota ANG. By 1987 was
    at Museum of State Historical Society, Bismarck, ND, but nominally
    on charge of USAFM. Also reported by 1993 to be at North Dakota ANG, Fargo, ND. In 2012 was
    on display at Eagles Air Museum in Fargo, North Dakota.

I set my mind to doing this texture this morning and its now the next morning but I was not giving up. I probably went about it the hard way not having much experience at all with either PSD paint kits or Adobe Photoshop. I had to tweak it in Corel Paintshop Pro which I have a lot of experience in and hand paint the Alpha for it but I think that it came out pretty good for my first try at a texture entirely my work. Still like Paintshop Pro better that Photoshop for ease of working but to do this you gotta use Photoshop. Here it is:

Maybe look for some Grand Forks ND AFB scenery for FSX tomorrow and fly it a bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1A.jpg   NDAK09830.jpg  

Thai Airways C47 V3 Repaint

I did a repaint in Thai Airways Livery. Upload is on the way soon you can download it here if you like it. THX go to Mr. Sindhu Ratna for helping creating the Repaints.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails whitethai.jpg   metallthai.jpg  

Would anyone know how to contact the painter in this thread, "baernhard" - http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ablishment-zip and ask for a refresh to v3? It is a livery I flew often in v2 and would love to see again!

Best- C

Send him a PM.I have used the version 2 paint and just redone the cfg file.Here is a copy if you want it.

[FLTSIM.X]
    title = Douglas C-47 -- Royal Aircraft Establ --
    sim = Douglas_DC3_V1.4
    model =
    panel =
    sound =
    texture = _RAE
    kb_checklists = douglas_c47_check
    kb_reference = douglas_c47_ref
    atc_id =
    ui_manufacturer = "Douglas"
    ui_type = "C-47R Skytrain"
    ui_variation = Royal Aircraft Establ.
    ui_typerole = Twin Engine Prop
    ui_createdby =
    description = ...

Cheers Chris
    Last edited by speedy70; August 5th, 2016 at 07:57.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    After all the looking I did, I was 100 numbers off of the Ohio ANG 42-93790 but in looking on Joe's serial number site, 10 down I found a really interesting history of 42-93800:

History:
    178 FIS/119 FIG/ND ANG VC-47A

Originally C-47A-25-DK

c/n 13752 in 1987 at Museum of State Historical Society, Bismarck, ND, but nominally on charge of USAFM. Also reported to be at North Dakota ANG, Fargo, ND

Photographer: Stephen Miller
    Photo taken 10 May 1963 at Andrews AFB.

93800 (MSN 13752) Redesignated VC-47A in 1984 and transferred to North Dakota ANG. By 1987 was
    at Museum of State Historical Society, Bismarck, ND, but nominally
    on charge of USAFM. Also reported by 1993 to be at North Dakota ANG, Fargo, ND. In 2012 was
    on display at Eagles Air Museum in Fargo, North Dakota.

I set my mind to doing this texture this morning and its now the next morning but I was not giving up. I probably went about it the hard way not having much experience at all with either PSD paint kits or Adobe Photoshop. I had to tweak it in Corel Paintshop Pro which I have a lot of experience in and hand paint the Alpha for it but I think that it came out pretty good for my first try at a texture entirely my work. Still like Paintshop Pro better that Photoshop for ease of working but to do this you gotta use Photoshop. Here it is:

Maybe look for some Grand Forks ND AFB scenery for FSX tomorrow and fly it a bit.
    That's a decent first effort mate

A few points you should be able to adjust.. the white on the roof should extend fwd of the aerial above the flightdeck. The upper orange/dayglo goes all the way down the dorsal. Take the 'BOLD' off the N.DAK.AIR GUARD titles and move it fwd (it starts mid-way through the window above the wing LE). The fin looks white too.. not silver.

Not the easiest paint to take on as a first effort. Good job thus far
    ATB
    DaveB

Hi Dave.
    Please could you tell me how you made the cowls shiny on Ron's air atlantique cos I would also like to do it.I have Miss Viginia by the way.

Cheers Chris

Chris,

It is actually reasonably simple. You should replace that part of the alpha layer, from the texture C47_2_T.dds, with a darker version. It just in the textures, and to be more precise; in the alpha layer of the textures. It has nothing to do with the model.

Cheers,
    Huub

Slowly but working in the new exterior engine HD 4096 x 4096

posted image

Please excuse my thick-headiness, but please explain to me the correct procedure and sequence for adapting V2 liveries to the new V3 VVC standards. Some of mine have converted just peachy but I have a couple that are not right. One example is the texture for USAF.SEA.

Thanks in advance.

Obie

Quote Originally Posted by speedy70 View Post
    Hi Dave.
    Please could you tell me how you made the cowls shiny on Ron's air atlantique cos I would also like to do it.I have Miss Viginia by the way.

Cheers Chris
    Hiya Chris
    There are a couple of ways you can go about it. Looking at the cowl textures on Ron's paint and Miss Virginia.. there's very little difference. The main one is the exhaust bluing around the cowl flaps. Looking at the alphas.. that's where the main differences are. Ron's alpha for that map is light grey.. Miss Virginia's is black over the front covers. It also has banana bob's chrome env map included and the combination gives the lovely polished chrome finish. What I did was a basic cut'n'shut taking the engine textures off Miss Virginia and adding them to the AA map. I needn't have done this on reflection. The important change was to copy the engine area off Miss Virginia's alpha and add it to the AA map's alpha then drop bb's chrome env map into the AA texture folder. Robert is your proverbial uncle

To save you the effort.. I've uploaded the map HERE
    Backup your original AA 2T map.. drop this one in it's place then copy the GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome.dds map from Miss Virginia and drop it into the AA texture folder.

All credit to Ron for the original (which I love) and to Allen for the Miss Virginia paint
    ATB
    DaveB

Hani that's great news, looking forward to this one.

Will you also be redoing your Buffalo (weathered) livery for v3?

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Thanks good news YoYo! Looking forward to your olive drab creations. I Your new repaint will definitely be a R4D!

BTW uploading here at the SOH is really very easy.

Cheers,
    Huub
    .... so here is preview in the final way .

Yes, it's correct answer for sure. Here is the preview of famous (for simmers also!) DC-3/R4D-6 Dakota from FS2004 time and MAAM museum.
    Not fresh factory, the crew for cleaning on the holiday!

Notice that this skin is grey-silver. RL airplane isn't bare metal.
    btw. model has a some of limitation so it isn't in 100% with the real one, something like 95% ;>. Regards.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

It looks superb, YoYo, and it's great to see the silver paint depicted an accurate shade.
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Members who have read this thread: 17