Douglas C-47 v3 Livery Thread - Page 4
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111214 ... LastLast

Thread: Douglas C-47 v3 Livery Thread

Currently 'on the go' ....lots to do yet...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Qantas1.jpg  

Looking Great Jafo , I myself was doddling away this weekend ... So so easy to work with the paint kit

Great looking liveries, but I'll be darned if I can find the download links for half of what I see.

Duckie, how you coming with that Air Rescue conversion paint I post #8?
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    Great looking liveries, but I'll be darned if I can find the download links for half of what I see.

Duckie, how you coming with that Air Rescue conversion paint I post #8?
    Hey WH47, thanks for asking but I'm just getting reacquainted with the texture structure and the paint kit. Although the textures convert well, the FS9 resolution is only 1024 and it looses a lot in the conversion. I'm going to update them to 2048 and I've got to adjust the specs and alphas so it may be a minute or two before I'm done as I'm updating both of my ARS paints, the OD and the natural metal versions.

But I have some other RL fish to fry before I get to them.
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Blog Entries
    I've been uploading a series of updated HD skins for the new V3 bird. Today's upload, an RAF DAK with my black VC texture mods.

Last edited by gman5250; July 31st, 2016 at 19:04.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Simply stunning Gordon!

C

PS- anyone have info on the RAE version, I'd love to see it refreshed....

Blog Entries
    Important Update for Painters

JVVC C-47 Paint Kit Basics

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...6&linkid=21686

I've uploaded an expansion to the JVVC C-47 Paint Kit. This kit contains all of the "basics" to build comprehensive skins from the ground up.

New Dedicated Layer Sets:

Basic:
    The basic folder contains clean skin gray, worn skin gray, wing separations with upper and lower shading, aluminum skin layers, a clean engine cowl layer, and wire mesh. You may note that the new gray skin layers have different art for the radials. This was my original art, prior to Ted's beautifully detailed radial layer. Now there are two choices for the radials.

Alpha:
    The alpha folder contains 13 separate layers for various alpha applications including 3 levels of shine, 3 variations of metal finish, de-ice boots, anti-skid, anti-glare and other details that need masking in alpha.

Specular:
    There are four different specular applications including generic, worn, a de-ice boot layer and a rainbow noise layer.

Bump:
    The bump folder contains a grayscale bump master sheet, a normal map, a texture grayscale layer and bump alpha.

This kit can be added to the existing kit by placing these at the bottom of the layers stack.
    Originally I thought the streamlined PK would be adequate, but seeing all of the beautiful skins being produced I thought my fellow skinners would like a bigger hammer to pound out some real masterpieces.

If anyone has any questions on this PK expansion set, just post up here or shoot me a PM. It seems this thread may be a perfect venue for discussing various paint techniques as well as displaying new art. It all looks amazing so far.

Happy painting friends.

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Been working on this one all weekend, time to take a break.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

Darn....now I have to grab the new kit....
    Sounds good though...

Meanwhile....nothing's ever quite right....I had to draw the 'Qantas' text from scratch....nothing was skinny enough and/or with the right kern.

There's several versions of the nose....seems Qantas couldn't decide on a specific...so I'll have to search/research some more...

Here's the 'corrected' Logo....and the right alpha.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Qantas2.jpg  

Blog Entries

Might pay to research a little point....

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    I've been uploading a series of updated HD skins for the new V3 bird. Today's upload, an RAF DAK with my black VC texture mods.

The yellow rescue arrows were not used by the RAF during WW2... Research USAAC painting guidelines...
    The USAF was created in 1948... British began using such warnings in the 1950s....
    Otherwise... OUTSTANDING ARTWORK!!! Very, very realistic...
    G.

Gordon, RAF374 is drop dead gorgeous inside and out. Thanks for this effort. Very tastefully done.

VH-EAR ... specifically, as opposed to several others that were different in detail.

The side stripe tapers top and bottom to the rear...and has a less than attractive slope down at front top...now with 'Royal Airmail'. Half the time I was relying on diecast model images...and they were simply wrong.
    This was also before the paint/contrast outline around the doors...so was pretty bland, really.... but more appealing than the first "Qantas Empire Airways" version [which I'll have a go at next....once I'm happy with this one]...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Qantas3.jpg  

The story of the KG374

Nice repaint Gordon and thanks for the new paintkit!

For those you are not familiar with the story of the KG374 here a link:

https://ninedaysinseptember.wordpres...avid-lord-v-c/

Cheers,
    Huub

C-47 conversions to V3

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Attwood View Post
    I think I've finished this one. Done with the V3 paint kit.

When I'm sure, I'll upload it.
    Ron,
    Nice repasint, but I am looking for the document that describes how to convert earlier versions of the C-47 to the V3 version. Who knows about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    VH-EAR ... specifically, as opposed to several others that were different in detail.

The side stripe tapers top and bottom to the rear...and has a less than attractive slope down at front top...now with 'Royal Airmail'. Half the time I was relying on diecast model images...and they were simply wrong.
    This was also before the paint/contrast outline around the doors...so was pretty bland, really.... but more appealing than the first "Qantas Empire Airways" version [which I'll have a go at next....once I'm happy with this one]...

Jafo - Qantas basically got the DC-3/C-47 to operate in PNG and some other routes similarly where the Government wanted them to. They were restricted domestically in OZ because of what was known as the two airline policy and that meant QF was to service international routes. The photos I have of the DC-3 in Qantas colours are these:

There are better photos at the Aussie Airline Site: http://www.aussieairliners.org/index.html just search under the aircraft type. Even though Qantas had to hand over New Guinea stuff to TAA they kept the DC-3s for a while, it was not part of there desired fleet fit so they operated the DC-3 reluctantly, after all they had brand new 707s to play with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails qantas1.jpg   qantas9.jpg  

Hey G,

I like those black seats. Is there a way I could change the seat color of any V3 repaint to black seats? Will using your PK help transfer that black color seat to any livery I wanted to change?
    If not, then what do I do?

Important Update for Painters

JVVC C-47 Paint Kit Basics

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...6&linkid=21686

I've uploaded an expansion to the JVVC C-47 Paint Kit. This kit contains all of the "basics" to build comprehensive skins from the ground up.

New Dedicated Layer Sets:

Basic:
    The basic folder contains clean skin gray, worn skin gray, wing separations with upper and lower shading, aluminum skin layers, a clean engine cowl layer, and wire mesh. You may note that the new gray skin layers have different art for the radials. This was my original art, prior to Ted's beautifully detailed radial layer. Now there are two choices for the radials.

Alpha:
    The alpha folder contains 13 separate layers for various alpha applications including 3 levels of shine, 3 variations of metal finish, de-ice boots, anti-skid, anti-glare and other details that need masking in alpha.

Specular:
    There are four different specular applications including generic, worn, a de-ice boot layer and a rainbow noise layer.

Bump:
    The bump folder contains a grayscale bump master sheet, a normal map, a texture grayscale layer and bump alpha.

This kit can be added to the existing kit by placing these at the bottom of the layers stack.
    Originally I thought the streamlined PK would be adequate, but seeing all of the beautiful skins being produced I thought my fellow skinners would like a bigger hammer to pound out some real masterpieces.

If anyone has any questions on this PK expansion set, just post up here or shoot me a PM. It seems this thread may be a perfect venue for discussing various paint techniques as well as displaying new art. It all looks amazing so far.

Happy painting friends.

Qantas Livery - Repaint

Jafo your livery which I have from is it V1 or 2 either way it works fine on V3, I like it a lot, I look forward to the new updated skin. I did not wish to sound like you are wrong (sorry), your livery it seems is referred to as the Qantas DC-3 Standard Livery, it seems that first for Qantas there was the all aluminium hull with scrolled Qantas Empire and little other paint at all, then the next one which is the one I posted the pics of and finally the one you have done.

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    Jafo your livery which I have from is it V1 or 2 either way it works fine on V3, I like it a lot, I look forward to the new updated skin. I did not wish to sound like you are wrong (sorry), your livery it seems is referred to as the Qantas DC-3 Standard Livery, it seems that first for Qantas there was the all aluminium hull with scrolled Qantas Empire and little other paint at all, then the next one which is the one I posted the pics of and finally the one you have done.
    Yes, am using the V3 kit....though altered as I use PSP6 which cannot access this particular PSD without dumbing it down via PS.

The first Qantas C-47s/DC-3s were ex lend-lease RAAF...and were originally QEA [Qantas Empire Airways] with the Empire's scroll font....the later ver was the ones as you posted above....and then like my paint/but maybe at the same time still...which is fairly close/contemporary with the DC-4s and the first 707s.

My first flight on a plane was at 2 weeks.... on a DC-3 [dunno what AL though - and my parents are long gone] ....that was in 1954 ...from King Island to Mildura...my old man was DCA and was being posted to Mildura to run the Aerodrome.

Anyway....plan is to do the earlier vers [plural] as well ...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gaucho_59 View Post
    The yellow rescue arrows were not used by the RAF during WW2... Research USAAC painting guidelines...
    The USAF was created in 1948... British began using such warnings in the 1950s....
    G.
    Thanks for that catch Gaucho.
    I made those changes first thing this AM and uploaded the new skin without the rescue arrows. You can re-download that file now.
    Thomas Jefferson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Hey G,

I like those black seats. Is there a way I could change the seat color of any V3 repaint to black seats? Will using your PK help transfer that black color seat to any livery I wanted to change?
    If not, then what do I do?
    You can change the VC textures for any airplane. In this case, go to the texture.RAF374 folder and copy the texture.cfg file. Paste that file into any skin you want to reference the texture.blackint artwork.

The PK has no provision for changing VC artwork, but that can be done in PS by modifying the original texture sheets located in the texture folder for Douglas C-47 V3. Not for the faint of heart.
    Thomas Jefferson

Anyone up for this or an alternate?

http://www.hermantheduck.org/pages/a...pages/dc3.html

Roman

Thanks for that catch Gaucho.
    I made those changes first thing this AM and uploaded the new skin without the rescue arrows. You can re-download that file now.

Thank You very much for your great job

Hi gman!

Please check Your compression of textures. I dont know what You do but Your one texture of external has.... 83 Mb (?!). My, from example here http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=1#post1036392 has 4.00 Mb (with alpha channel also). It affects VAS and possibly OOM in the final. btw. some of textures of really nice (like for example texture.oldskin but this strange compression spoils effects of details). I use for example for this FSX SDK ImageTool and DXTbmp in the end.

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Quote Originally Posted by gaucho_59 View Post
    G.
    Actually, the United States Air Force was born on September 18th, 1947...

The Old Master Sergeant

Members who have read this thread: 18