Plane Design Lancaster in FSX - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plane Design Lancaster in FSX

If I've done everything right, there should be a file attached to this post containing the main data for the Lancaster I and III from AP 2062A.

And here is a link to the Flight Engineers Notes:

http://www.lancasterbombers.net/flip...files/book.swf

I have lots more. Just let me know what you need !

DB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lancaster I and III Main Data.jpg  

Hi Ed (I see you're on here while I am

Ed knows all about the propeller issues you're talking about, as he taught me a thing or two about it. I'll let him answer you in that regard. Ed's waiting for his account to be authorized, then he'll respond.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    Hi Ed (I see you're on here while I am

Ed knows all about the propeller issues you're talking about, as he taught me a thing or two about it. I'll let him answer you in that regard. Ed's waiting for his account to be authorized, then he'll respond.
    That's good news. I was chatting to Ed today and alerted him to this thread. He is keen to join the discussion !

Yes - thanks for letting me know about the thread guys, and letting the mods know about my issues - finally I have posting privileges here!

So I agree with a lot of what's been said. The panel lines in the alpha was probably not the best move... but we live and learn, eh? I think the flight dynamics were fairly good (they were all based on the AP data, so the areas/deflections/etc. should be the same, and I seem to remember checking that the takeoff performance was in line with expectations. When flying unladen Lancs, it's worth remembering there's a huge excess of power! But engine performance is always going to be an absolutely key factor for FS models. The prop performance is somewhat strange in FSX - for example a feathered prop doesn't stay feathered once it stops (it has to be faked to stay feathered). The irony is that as the props are constant speed, the models that show the prop blades moving with the lever while the engine is stopped are wrong. The ideal would be to make the "fast" prop get thicker and thinner as blade pitch changes.

I was surprised I'd not done a Tallboy Lanc. Again... all of the ingredients were there. The early B.X has the bulged bomb bay doors of the right kind (the B.II has the other type), and the Grand Slam would have scaled. Hmm!

As Sundog and DickB commented, I've been working on and off on a new FSX Lanc that was heavily featured. One area I spent a lot of time on was the navigation side. What's often forgotten, I think, is that navigation was really the key to strategic bombing. I had a working representation of the air position indicator, Gee and H2S, a sextant, a "sort of" working bombsight, and a better compass. I'm tempted to tidy it up and release it, perhaps not "as is", but with some features more as ideas than complete.

Nice to see you back Ed

ATB
    DaveB

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Walters View Post
    As Sundog and DickB commented, I've been working on and off on a new FSX Lanc that was heavily featured. One area I spent a lot of time on was the navigation side. What's often forgotten, I think, is that navigation was really the key to strategic bombing. I had a working representation of the air position indicator, Gee and H2S, a sextant, a "sort of" working bombsight, and a better compass. I'm tempted to tidy it up and release it, perhaps not "as is", but with some features more as ideas than complete.
    I for one would certainly welcome a FSX PD Lanc in any form. The problem I have is that I have been considering moving to e.g. P3D for some time, and as far as I know, the FS9 model will not display external textures in DX10 (someone correct me if I am wrong !) Since it's the main a/c that I fly, that's a bit of a showstopper.

Dick B thanks for the link, I will have a good read over the next week. I am reassured by Ed's comments about checking the data some time ago. I think I commented that the swing and rudder bias required on climb impressed me re fidelity and it does get heavy on the controls at speed and in turns (again handling characteristics referred to in the original aircraft notes). As a small note you know this aircraft was easy to fly by looking at the original control wheel it was small and that immediately tells me that this was an aircraft that did not require large physical inputs from the pilot to fly easily.

Ed - correct re an unloaded Lanc it had a lot of power in reserve any went like a rocket without a bomb load or max fuel load.

I may have missed some earlier forum posts on the PD Lanc and other stuff re this one and I am glad to see there are many others who really appreciate this particular version of the Lancaster. I am certainly not into re-inventing the wheel so good to get some clarification. I might say I bought the PD version after trying out the Ross McLennan packages and being impressed with the time and trouble he had taken to reproduce this particular military operation.

Look forward to developments, if I can contribute more than happy too.
    Last edited by BendyFlyer; July 17th, 2016 at 03:47. Reason: additional information

Ed Walters can I just say as a footnote to all the above posts that I think you did a great job with the Lancaster and think it is the best available and I would just like to publicly acknowledge that here. I can only imagine how much work went into making it possible and I have enjoyed using the model in FSX enormously in fact I sim with no other Lanc even though I have the others they just were not up to the standard.

As an old real multi-engine piston pilot my frustrations always come back to FSX and its peculiarities particularly with propellers and it is these limitations that make all FSX prop aircraft a bit of a pain in some regimes ( For example; I have seen endless posts on the Beech King Air and other turboprops etc and the inability to get them to taxy properly in beta range and having spent a lot of real time in them these criticisms of the FSX behaviour are correct they are dreadful really you could put a King Air into Beta and taxy around all over without ever touching the brakes). But when you think about it prop aircraft are regarded as a bit of an anachronism generally in aviation and propeller theory and the aerodynamics of props are poorly understood even by real world pilots which is why folks like myself ended up stuck in them for our careers. Anyhow I digress.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    Ed Walters can I just say as a footnote to all the above posts that I think you did a great job with the Lancaster and think it is the best available and I would just like to publicly acknowledge that here. I can only imagine how much work went into making it possible and I have enjoyed using the model in FSX enormously in fact I sim with no other Lanc even though I have the others they just were not up to the standard.
    Thanks.
    Couldn't have said it better

I've uploaded the paint kits (PS) here. They're a bit of a mess as they are for both the Lancs and Lancastrians. They are the external textures. I put them under FS2004 skins, since that is the sim for which they were originally designed. If you use them all I ask is that you note it in your releases. Also, if anyone is working on new British WW2 RPM or Boost gauges, let me know, as I have some textures for those too. See the attached images.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BR16-WW2-Night.jpg   BR16-WW2-L12-Samp.jpg  

I have the following gauges converted as Saitek FIP gauges:

Air Speed Indicator
    Altimeter
    Artificial Horizon
    Vertical Speed Indicator
    Turn Slip Indicator
    DF Indicator (working in FSX - I never could get the in-plane version to work in FSX)
    DR Compass
    Flaps Position Indicator
    Boost Gauges
    RPM Indicators
    P-Type Compass (rotating the correct way - I also corrected the in-plane version which rotates the wrong way)

Some of these in the (rather poor) picture below.

These were made using (mainly) the original PD graphics and code (with Ed's agreement). But if there are better images available I can easily incorporate them. I think I made day and night versions of all of them, although I mainly use the day ones. If anyone has FIPs and is interested in any of them, pls let me know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lanc III FIP Gauges.jpg  

Re the discussion on interior textures. Over the weekend I had a go at 'improving' them. I'm no artist, so all I've done (mostly) is darken the existing textures and materials. The originals are accurate, but a bit bright for me. I'm quite pleased with the result, but it won't be for everyone. See what you think. These are for the Mk III.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lanc III Cockpit.jpg   Lanc III Cockpit Left.jpg   Lanc III FE Position.jpg  

Icon25

Sundog or others. I think if the VC textures could be reworked the model would lose that unfinished look and would be whole new dimension, because in visual appearance, performance and handling, it is very authentic. There was not a lot of knob twiddling to do in a Lanc, you had a radio operator and a navigator and a bomb aimer/ordinance delivery person. Engine start was by external power on the ground. The aircraft was well behaved in all flight regimes and handled assymetric configurations well. So all this is nicely captured in the PD Lancaster.

So any word on the textures as say they would apply to the VC? whether there was an alternative set or do the VC textures just have to be reworked and I guess does anybody have any views re texture files for the PD Lanc and any idiosynchracies with texture mapping? I guess I might have a bit of crack to see what happens. I had very mixed results with previous non-native FSX models caused by mapping issues.

I'm sure Sundog and Ed can provide the detail. In doing my own 'enhancements' above I found I had to change both textures and materials (specified in MDL file). I would like to have changed some of the materials to textures, but that's way beyond my skill envelope, if indeed it is even possible in the current model. But in principle I agree - if the VC appearance could be brought up to date that would make a big difference. The flight model is fine.

Members who have read this thread: 1