Orbx - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Orbx

What happened...?

I had upgraded to the new unified region FTX Central, but I just went into FTX Central to see if there were any
    new updates, there was, and it reset Central back to the way it was where you have to activate regions.

I had read of people having problems or noticing texture anomalies on the FTX forums. I was happy with it, but
    I guess FTX decided the new system wasn't quite ready for prime time.

Anyway, unless it's my PC only (always a possibility with FSX), we may be back to having to activate our Orbx
    regions again in Central, at least until FTX gets the problems sorted out.

Thanks - Rob

PS: I tried going onto the FTX forums for confirmation of the change back, but they're down again.

Well since the "Unified" and then "Un-unified" situation in FTX Central 2, my textures are morphing into all sorts of odd variants. I can't remember what I did to resolve this issue, years ago and I am fed-up to put it politely.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

More and more bizarre. After my last post, when I went into FTX this morning, there was a new update that
    changed Central back to unified mode, and everything seemed fine. But when I got home tonight, there was
    another update that changed it back to the old active region mode.

Aaack, stop the madness, I want to get off!! So I did: in FTX Central under settings, under the General tab,
    there are two tick boxes for check for updates for FTX Central and for Orbx products. I've unticked both
    those for now. Hopefully that will stop the continuous updating.

Now I'm back to the old activate region Central, and everything seems ok after a few quick flights. But before
    the forums went down (and last I looked, they're still down), someone on there who was having problems with
    the new unified Central said that what he did to revert back was to get a copy of the old Orbx folder from his
    previous monthly back-up, delete out the current Orbx folder with the unfied Central from his FSX folder, and copy
    and paste the old one back in. And apparently this reverted Central back to the old active region mode.

I have not done this myself and I am quoting from memory, so be forewarned.

In any case, hopefully everything gets sorted out soon.

Thanks - Rob

PS: Actually a further thought on the delete/copy/paste mentioned above: in the Orbx folder, there is a sub folder
    for FTX Central. So maybe you don't need to delete/copy/paste the whole Orbx folder, just the FTX Centraf sub
    folder. As said, I have not had to do this myself, but I am just mentioning from memory what someone else was saying.
    Last edited by RobM; June 9th, 2016 at 16:24. Reason: A further thought

Forum down-time and ftx central 2

Hi Guys,

I take it that as you have ORBX FTX scenery, then you look at the ORBX FTX Forum as well!?

I have just seen this very important post on the ORBX Forum, from the ORBX CEO John Venema;

[QUOTE] Please allow me to firstly apologise for the extended downtime we've had this week on the forums and the website. Believe me, it's not by choice that this has happened and we're working with Jay to try to get things back on track. Jay's service provider has moved several servers to new hardware and the migration process has not been quite as smooth as hoped. This is not Jay's fault, he has been up to early hours of several mornings to try to minimise the impact.

Please be aware that this server migration was forced upon us by a third party hosting company and not planned by us but we're hoping it stabilizes very soon. We would never release a major update like FTX Central 2.1 and then choose to migrate servers at the same time. We have been planning a coordinated and disruption-free move to completely new hosted servers in July and we may move that forward now.

The second issue Is some people seem to be experiencing is disruptions to ground textures etc from the migration to FTX Central 2.1 Unified lclookup. Whilst the overwhelming majority of users will have no issues there seems to be some who are experiencing an incomplete migration. Again, I apologise for this and despite months of extensive testing (since mid-April) some issues have slipped through the cracks. We've discovered one bug already that affect FTX NZ regions and the fix is ready to be pushed out.

To put things into context FTX Central v2.1 has been installed by over 7,000 people, with only around 10 people reporting issues so far.

Now for the good news! It's not a disaster for those with corrupt textures and other issues, because all the files you need to display everything properly are all still there, and we'll push out a fix ASAP.

However, here's what we don't want folks to do:

• Don't try to establish expert solutions on non-Orbx forums - this is only going to do further damage to your installations.
    • Don't try to manually revert to the pre-unified FTX Central setup. The migration is a very complex process and cannot be easily reverted.
    • If you haven't downloaded the latest Orbxlibs or migrated FTX Central, please hold off doing so for a few days until the team can push a fix out.

At present Ben McClintock is at 35,000FT over the Pacific Ocean flying to LAX then JFK for the FlightSimCon 2016 conference this weekend. He has been made aware of these issues and he'll likely address them as soon as he can connect and investigate.

So once again I'm very sorry, we're aware of the situation and we're doing our best in the circumstances given the server dramas and most of the management team travelling to the US. [QUOTE]

A VERY relevant part to read is what ORBX 'DON'T WANT PEOPLE TO DO' !

Luckily, my unified system migration was successful; however, I can understand how frustrating it must be not to be able to use your flight simulator!

Hope this is helpful, and lets look forward to the new shiny all singing and dancing ORBX FTX unified scenery!

Ttfn,
    ChipShop
    'If It Isn't Broken; Then Don't Try To Fix It!'

After many attempts this week, I finally got into their forums last night and saw JV's post. I hope it's sorted quickly because FsX is a mess at the moment.
    SYSTEM :
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler

I opened FTX Central 2 this evening and received 2 updates. I now seem to have a Unified FTX Central 2. I will try the sim later on tonight and hopefully all will be good again.
    SYSTEM :

Just made two flights from Cloverdale and then Bozeman and so far all seems well. Good job JV and his troops
    SYSTEM :

Just tried a third flight, from KBHB, a recent purchase and found the aircraft below the runway. I ran the Vector config tool but that made no difference! So I tried the manual config and found that KBHB doesn't exist in Enabled or Disabled??

Time to post this in the ORBX forum, when I can get in (presently the apologies header is as far as I can go).
    SYSTEM :

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Apparently the migration is also effecting the OZx site as it has been down for the last 2 days.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Well I posted 2 issues in the ORBX support forums last night and although I've had some suggestions for one of the issues and none at all for the other, I want official ORBX updates to resolve them. I don't want to fubar several thousand dollars of ORBX scenery.
    SYSTEM :

I accepted the advice for the elevation issue at KBHB and deleted some .bgl files. The result is the same as before - a start point several hundred metres above the runway.
    I am fed up with this and will wait for an official update for this issue.
    SYSTEM :

I was under the impression from previous posts on ORBX and elsewhere that ORBX were moving everything away from Jay's servers and he had nothing to do with ORBX anymore. The quote from ORBX above seems to contradict this entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by scotth6 View Post
    I was under the impression from previous posts on ORBX and elsewhere that ORBX were moving everything away from Jay's servers and he had nothing to do with ORBX anymore. The quote from ORBX above seems to contradict this entirely.
    They wanted to move away next month. Combine this server move with Ben's attendance of Flightsimcon and you have a case of bad timing. They should have waited a month for the unified lclookup release, after their own server move.
    P3D v4.5, DCS, AF2
    W10 64bit Pro
    Core i7 6770K @ 4,3 GHz
    32 GB DDR4 2666
    RTX 2080 Super 8 GB
    Oculus Rift S
    Cable 1000 Mbit/s

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I accepted the advice for the elevation issue at KBHB and deleted some .bgl files. The result is the same as before - a start point several hundred metres above the runway.
    I am fed up with this and will wait for an official update for this issue.
    KBHB is fixed
    SYSTEM :

I've had no hassles at all with the 'Unified System' from day 1, but I must admit to doing a complete new installation of everything ORBX using the latest updates and libraries.
    JFTR, that includes FSX and P3Dv3.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

I now have a problem flying between continents. My system runs fine for a minute, then it lockups for ten minutes (Blue circle of bored to death?) and just sits and loads for ten minutes, then flies for a minute, etc. I'll stick to just North America for now, since I don't have this problem there. The problem occurred trying to fly from North America to Iceland.

This is a complete mess! Stay out of FTX central, I'm really mad! I'm using FTX global 1.4 and made the mistake of installing the Freeware ORBX Portland cityscape scenery. FTX central updated on me before I could stop it, and would not let me opt out of the LC migration. My once perfect FSX rig now suffers from blurries, mixed bag textures and a triple fold increase in load times.Also, I once had FTX freeware airports installed and removed it. FTX central will not stop adding it to the scenery.cfg even though it is not on the system!It also erases any custom terrain.cfg mods made for other sceneries. I want to completely remove FTX global from my FSX, go back to my old GEX set, and then reinstall FTX Global 1.4 NOT updated and NO MIGRATION.How do I accomplish this? Why is there no uninstall program on an update that can (and will) wreck FSX machines?
    How can I accomplish removing the new FTX and reinstalling the FTX Global I bought at the end of May? I have a complete FSX backup, what needs to be restored ? What other files are changed? How can I make it stop trying to add the freeware airports I no longer have? I posted these questions in the ORBX forums earlier. as of right now, my sim is basically unusable.Never again will I allow anything in my sim to auto update.
    Thank you

Another one coming in August.

Seems there will be another sweeping change to Central in August. https://youtu.be/pZozWcKkI0s

Not OrbX fault, the server move was not their idea-

<aside class="ipsComment_author cAuthorPane ipsColumn ipsColumn_medium"> John Venema

• Orbx CEO
    • Administrators
    • 22,432 posts
    • Order #:Staff

</aside>
    ID: 1 Posted <time datetime="2016-06-09T11:06:00Z" title="06/09/2016 4:06 AM" data-short="Jun 9">June 9</time> · Report post

Hello everyone,

Please allow me to firstly apologise for the extended downtime we've had this week on the forums and the website. Believe me, it's not by choice that this has happened and we're working with Jay to try to get things back on track. Jay's service provider has moved several servers to new hardware and the migration process has not been quite as smooth as hoped. This is not Jay's fault, he has been up to early hours of several mornings to try to minimise the impact.

Please be aware that this server migration was forced upon us by a third party hosting company and not planned by us but we're hoping it stabilizes very soon. We would never release a major update like FTX Central 2.1 and then choose to migrate servers at the same time. We have been planning a coordinated and disruption-free move to completely new hosted servers in July and we may move that forward now.

I disagree wholeheartedly. The mess we are facing has nothing to do with a server change.This has to do with wholesale changes to the FSX landclass table and God knows what else, and a complete lack of a way to reverse the process or documentation of what was actually changed.. This message from JV was also in the formus
    "Now for the good news! It's not a disaster for those with corrupt textures and other issues, because all the files you need to display everything properly are all still there, and we'll push out a fix ASAP.

However, here's what we don't want folks to do:

• Don't try to establish expert solutions on non-Orbx forums - this is only going to do further damage to your installations.
    • Don't try to manually revert to the pre-unified FTX Central setup. The migration is a very complex process and cannot be easily reverted.
    • If you haven't downloaded the latest Orbxlibs or migrated FTX Central, please hold off doing so for a few days until the team can push a fix out."

• Don't try to revert? Complex process? my sim is wrecked (FPS cut by nearly 50% load times tripled, blurries, stutters and freezes you wouldn't believe.) and I can't even find out for sure what was done to it.I did not ask for, or want this update. I had a perfect rig until this was forced upon me.I just came back from vacation fired up the computer to go fly,I opened FTX central to add their free Portland scenery and it updated before I could stop it and said I needed to update the ORBX libraries and begin the LC migration.I should have just pulled the plug on the computer right there, and I am furious.
      I'm to the point where I don't want a pushed fix.I want to revert back to what I had before and never allow another update ever.Something tells me I'm facing a complete reinstall.
      Oh and JV posted this in the forum as well

"If you're experiencing texture corruptions even though you appear to have migrated successfully then please post a support issue with screenshot examples including coordinates of the problem.

Ben is on vacation until June 27th so any bugs to be remedied in FTX Central will have to wait for his return."
    Great.
    Last edited by dc10boy; June 16th, 2016 at 19:10.

Quote Originally Posted by dc10boy View Post
    This has to do with wholesale changes to the FSX landclass table and God knows what else, and a complete lack of a way to reverse the process or documentation of what was actually changed.
    I think we need to take charge of this ourselves, with incremental backups.
    We just need some backup software that ticks all the boxes.
    Anyone?

Sue,

I'm on the ORBX website many times every day!

I've just posted this on their website "My issue is that since Unification is that my system locks up after a flight of a few minutes. Sometimes the lock-up lasts a few seconds and I can continue for a while, but sometimes they last so long that I have to pull the big switch. This is a totally new phenomena for me and has only occurred since unification. Every time I fly now I am waiting for the next freeze."

Blurries and long load times or even odd textures are not my issue - my sim locks-up freezing the monitor.
    SYSTEM :

Quote Originally Posted by Essex View Post
    I think we need to take charge of this ourselves, with incremental backups.
    We just need some backup software that ticks all the boxes.
    Anyone?
    Essex, I'm sitting on a complete recent FSX backup right in front of me.All of it.As of today still, nobody from ORBX can, or will tell me what exactly was done to my FSX.I have asked this question directly in 3 different threads.I don't know if the registry was changed, or if all the changes reside in the fSx directory.They do say they're working on it.I'm not sure I even want or trust a fix anymore.I just want to find a way to reverse this and go back to what I had last week.I think this week I'm going to wave the white flag and begin the process of reinstalling everything.

Fortunately I am traveling now, and have been for the past several weeks, so have dodged the bullet
    on these Unification issues.

When I do return home how can I absolutely AVOID and 'automatic' FTX updates ? My system arrangement
    works just fine for me, running in Hybrid Mode, and I do NOT want any 'automatic' intervention taking place.

I use several different scenery.cfg files that are tailored for the area(s) I will be flying in for the current time
    and I typically disable all FTX regions that are not in the area of my intended flight.

I need to be able to run FTX Central without it going out for updates or invoking this Unification scheme.

Any inputs on how I can make this happen, or in the case of Unification, NOT happen?

Paul (Pretty much all the regions, Global, Global Vector and LC stuff)

USS Dewey DLG-14, ET"C" School Treasure Island-Instructor, OASU/VX-8 Aircrewman

I don't think Central auto-updates without option, so don't let it. Or turn the auto bit off before it completes any update download.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Members who have read this thread: 0