FsX Dx10 lock-up

Thread: FsX Dx10 lock-up

FsX Dx10 lock-up

There are three possible reasons for a flight to end suddenly in my FsX Dx10:

1. Blue Screen of Death...usually overheating from too much overclocking of the cpu or the heat-sink need cleaning. Occasionally it can be a ram card or socket issue..

2. Crash to Desktop... vas usage up to the 32 bit limit. I have FSUICP installed and the audible warning tells me to save the flight before the CTD.

3. Lock-up of the visual with the sound still looping. This is what I suffer most with 1 and 2 above being (fortunately) a rarity. Sometimes the lock-up lasts for just a few seconds and occasionally I need to reboot to clear it.

I have yet to find an explanation for type 3 and can only think it may be a product of insufficient video ram. I will be updating my card soon and I'm wondering if a 4 or 8 gig Nvidia card will help?
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Please excuse the bump but I'm hoping that a techie person may be able to answer the question.
    SYSTEM :
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler

Type 3 Lock up.

Hi Roger,
    I have the same problem as your type 3, a visual lock for a few seconds and every now and then usually when I am enjoying the flight I have to re start FSX.

I did notice that it sometimes occurred, just as I was changing the view point with the hat switch on my Thrustmaster Hotas X.

Have tried different drivers but to no avail it just seems to happen when I swing around the aircraft in Spot View.

In my case it is not a heat problem, at least the temp on my AMD R7 370 seem O.K. when running flat out it's only in the mid 40's
    with fans only set at 50%.

If you find a Techy who can help please let me know.

Regards

Bruce.

Hi Bruce,

Yes it's a real headache when the lock up is permanent. FSUIPC usually gives plenty of warning of a vas overload so I don't think it's that and a CTD is usual with oom issues.
    SYSTEM :

Is there a parameter that can be adjusted in FSUIPC re the OOM warning. My FSUIPC (bought version) beeps and within a couple of seconds "BAM" the sim crashes. There never enough time to save the situation before it goes down.

I get that #3 issue every now and then.
    I do not know exactly what it is(vid card, processor, memory), but running several programs(internet, music, ect.) at the same time is usually when it happens.
    Clearly it is from overloading the computer.
    Turning down the display settings helps.
    Also, waiting about 10 minutes the sim will start working again just like unpausing it.

I don't think it's the same thing as an approaching oom because there would be plenty of time for FSUIPC to bleep. It's a memory issue but I'm wondering if it's a video card memory issue rather than main board ram?
    SYSTEM :

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I don't think it's the same thing as an approaching oom because there would be plenty of time for FSUIPC to bleep. It's a memory issue but I'm wondering if it's a video card memory issue rather than main board ram?
    Hi Roger,

I have 16GB of Ram on the motherboard and the Graphic's Card has 2 GB, I don't think it's an OOM error either.

I can't say for positively sure but it sounds like you're overloading the video. I've never had that happen in FSX but years ago, I built what I thought was a good gaming platform for FS9. With all my scenery and hi-def clouds.. very hi-res models etc. the machine would do exactly what yours is doing in terms of locking up and sound looping (item 3 on your list). A stronger power supply and a more powerful video card cured the problem.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

I've suffered from issue 3. I agree it's definitely video card related. In my case, it was resolved by moving to a different NVidia driver (Gtx 680). Check your Windows event loger after an occurence. It may give you some insight as to what's going on.
    Your English is better than my French, German, Italian, Spanish.... so no worries my friends!

Hi
    What you are seeing is a issue with bus hogging, (nvidia cards tend to be the worst) which prevent the sound from access to the cpu/buss. With most ppl these days using onboard sound which use codecs and cpu time for sound processing older games can have issues(newer games allow for dropping sound quality and channels used)...In the xp days you could just roll down the sound hardware acceleration but vista and above have removed this layer,some video cards also allow you to drop hardware acceleration inside windows but nvidia prevent this at driver level...You can try a dedicated sound card this will take some of the load of the cpu/bus plus you can swap it to a different pci slot/bus till you find one that's not being flooded..Try a usb sound card or dac connected to one of the m/board headers as these tend to be on a separate bus to the rear usb ports...update the onboard sound card drivers or find some way to reduce the number of sounds being used in fsx.....basically the sound card and video fight for cpu/bus time sometimes the sound wins sometimes the video wins
    The source code for Vista may very well be the longest suicide note in history

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza View Post
    Hi
    What you are seeing is a issue with bus hogging, (nvidia cards tend to be the worst) which prevent the sound from access to the cpu/buss. With most ppl these days using onboard sound which use codecs and cpu time for sound processing older games can have issues(newer games allow for dropping sound quality and channels used)...In the xp days you could just roll down the sound hardware acceleration but vista and above have removed this layer,some video cards also allow you to drop hardware acceleration inside windows but nvidia prevent this at driver level...You can try a dedicated sound card this will take some of the load of the cpu/bus plus you can swap it to a different pci slot/bus till you find one that's not being flooded..Try a usb sound card or dac connected to one of the m/board headers as these tend to be on a separate bus to the rear usb ports...update the onboard sound card drivers or find some way to reduce the number of sounds being used in fsx.....basically the sound card and video fight for cpu/bus time sometimes the sound wins sometimes the video wins
    Hi Wozza,

Thanks for the info, I had a look in my device manager and found that I have two sound systems running, first one is on the AMD graphic's card HDMI Sound system, the other is a Realtek HD sound system on the motherboard which is the one I use with a Logitech 5.1 sound system.
    I have disabled the one on the graphic card so I will test it now to see if it is any better.

Regards
    Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Thompson View Post
    Hi Wozza,

Thanks for the info, I had a look in my device manager and found that I have two sound systems running, first one is on the AMD graphic's card HDMI Sound system, the other is a Realtek HD sound system on the motherboard which is the one I use with a Logitech 5.1 sound system.
    I have disabled the one on the graphic card so I will test it now to see if it is any better.

Regards
    Bruce.
    I also looked at the event viewer and it mentioned a problem with a programme called EP Quicker which is a part of Epson Easy photo print, so I uninstalled that and have just flown for two and a half hours without a hitch.
    It seems that the Epson prog keeps cutting in in the background , i'll keep checking to see if it happens again.

Well Bruce,

All I have found is that if I close down my pay version of Malwarebytes, the lock ups are minimal.
    SYSTEM :

Well Bruce,

All I have found is that if I close down my pay version of Malwarebytes, the lock ups are minimal.
    Hi Roger,

One thing I forgot to do after my computer rebuild and full reinstallation of FSX all 269GB of it was to install uiautomationcore.dll back into the FSX folder.
    Having now done this things have improved, a lot more stable and have not had any CTD's, I have not reapplied that Epson software again yet but I will in the future sometime.

This whole problem was caused by a lightening storm 18 months ago , blew the last computer to bits so I had to save up to build this new one.

Spec is AMD A10 7800 running at 3.9ghz , 16GB Ram , AMD R7 370, 3 TB HDD, 500w PSU which is really a bit low, I think this will be the next upgrade.

Well Bruce,

I have payware Malwarebytes and Bitdefender both running continuously with no lockups whatsoever. More likely a system issue than specifically a problem with Malwarebytes. It could be that Malwarebytes is the final straw as far as your setup is concerned.

Members who have read this thread: 0